• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake baby feeding questions. :)

CuriousHerping

Hey there, I have a newborn baby corn snake and I was just wondering if I could feed it two pinkys instead of just one or do you think that is too much for right now? The snake is about 12" and the width is smaller then a pencil. Keep in mind, I'm new to having a corn snake... I'm used to the bigger snakes. :)

A safe rule of thumb, if you don't have a gram scale to weigh the snake, is feed one prey item no more than 1.5 times the width of the snake at the snake's widest point. To be safe, though, I would start off with something the same diameter as the snake, and see how that goes.

Okay I thought of that and gave the snake a small pinky which was a little bigger then the snake so I got that right :) I'll have to purchase a small scale now. Thank you.

My small boy was on one pinky every five days but I noticed that the food 'bump' would disappear pretty quickly so am alternating between two pinkies one week and one pinky the next. But my pinkies are actually really tiny. If they were a tad bigger it would just be one. If yours is about the diameter of a pencil I agree with the advise above. I think the longer you own the move you'll develop a 'vibe' as well of what is needed.

I think if she's that small you should give one pinkie every 4/5 days
When she start to look a bit bigger and you dont notice any volume in her stomach, you can change for 2 pinkies every 7/8 days and next the fuzzies.

But it's always good to know their weight so you can give them an appropriate meal ^^

She is going good but I found a bump on her... I think it is a food bump but I am not sure... I might bring her to the vet just in case.

I wouldn't disturb her for two days after eating if you think it might be a food bump. I'd leave her to digest and check that she has the right temps (otherwise she won't be able to digest properly). It might be a bit premature for a vet visit.

probably the bump is the food. like bitsy said, a bit premature for a vet visit.
let her digest and maybe let her do some poop too. if it goes on, then take her to the vet!

Sorry to hear that. Some snakes with kinks get to grow on and do just fine, probably a slow progression on feeding item size will be a good idea. Some just don't make it though. I wish you luck with your baby

Back