• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do I need heat?

svcrawford

My house stays around 76 to 81 during the spring, summer and fall months. At night I drop the temp so I can sleep better. (72) Never really had an issue and during the winter I guess I keep the temp in the house around 70 (ish) and at night it can drop to around 65 or so.

I live in Florida so the winter months are not really that bad. I have a W. Hog that does great with no light or heat. He gets room light from the window in the room (Large bay window)

My next question is... I am thinking of using a CHE for the first time (During winter nights or just after they have ate) I am having a custom cage built. 48LX27WX17 So the heat (CHE) will be around 15 to 16" away from the snake. What WATT CHE should I use? I was thinking 60 to 75W? How far do the CHE reach?

Is CHE ceramic heat emitter? As for your question, I never used heat on my cornsnakes until this past year (I live in TX). They did just fine, always ate, shed, bred, etc without hitch. So I think that for you heat is also optional. The only reason I started using heat, is that I wanted to start breeding season earlier this year. Normally they would brumate with the natural temps, which meant they wouldn't be ready for mating until late Mar/early Apr. So this year I used heat to warm them up earlier so they'd breed on my schedule.

If you do go for heat, I'd try to go for belly heat, either with a UTH or flexwatt. I personally love flexwatt as it's cheap, easy to use, and works very well.

IF you're house is 76 to 81 I don't think you really need extra heat. Keep a thermometer in the viv and if it's not staying up at 80 then I'd add some heat to one side.

So long as there's a sufficient gradiant in the tank you'll be fine without a heat source. If you need one though you're best off with either flexwatt or a UTH which are plugged into a thermostat so that it doesn't get to hot.

New corn snake owner

I was also wondering the same thing about heat. I got my little guy a wk ago & was told by the breeder that I would not need to use any heating source, that they regulate their temp very well. BUT I have read in the books & online differently. I have a Motley Candy Cane. He's about 14inches long & was told 7wks old. I am concerned about lighting. Due to his coloring.

TIA,
Vikki

that they regulate their temp very well

I think there must be some wires crossed somewhere. The one thing that snakes CAN'T do is thermoregulate - that's the key characteristic of being cold-blooded.

However, if the temps where you are, are similar to Florida, then you may be able to keep it without a heat source. What sort of temp range do you have in your house, throughout the year?

Back