• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Egg laying to feeding how long?

jimijaw

My girl layed her eggs 2 days ago and so far shows no interest in eating. I scooped her up and put her head over the water bowl and she drank for quite some time but has shown no interest in eating. I realize that laying eggs is very hard and stressful on them so I understand thats why she isnt moving around she's just resting. Her last meal was 16 weeks ago and she is half the size she was before breeding so Im a little worried. Ive offered her rat pinks, hopper mice, instead of her normal 4 Large mice because I figure she doesnt have the energy or strength to try and swallow her normal fare. Any help or reassurance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Jimi

Hi
Have you washed out her viv/box whatever shes kept in? Take away the smell of eggs.
I always do this.
I had one girl didnt feed for a couple weeks after she laid but is eating great now, I put up a thread about it.
Iv had the odd one eat a small meal before post lay shed but most seem to eat after it.... Still early days yet :)
But I know how you feel LOL
Den

Many won't eat until their post-lay shed which will be in the coming days very soon. Usually after that they will develop a voracious appetite. You're on the right track by offering smaller than normal prey items. I will usually offer one small prey item, wait about 5 days, then offer 2 small prey items. Wait a week and then go to normal sized prey items with feedings a little more frequent than normal until she gets her weight back. Although 4 large mice sounds a little excessive...if she's really that large, I would probably move her up to small rats, IMHO.

But don't worry, she'll be fine. Now after her post lay shed if she still refuses food then you should be worried, but until then, don't sweat it.

Denise said:
Hi
Have you washed out her viv/box whatever shes kept in? Take away the smell of eggs.
I always do this.
I had one girl didnt feed for a couple weeks after she laid but is eating great now, I put up a thread about it.
Iv had the odd one eat a small meal before post lay shed but most seem to eat after it.... Still early days yet :)
But I know how you feel LOL
Den
Yes I have done a complete clean and sanitize of her tank. Thank you I am much relieved!!! Jimi

jimijaw said:
Her last meal was 16 weeks ago Jimi
:shrugs:
Are you saying she hasn't eaten since January/February. I really can't comment about this length of time but was hoping someone with more experience would see this quote and respond. susan

susang said:
Are you saying she hasn't eaten since January/February. I really can't comment about this length of time but was hoping someone with more experience would see this quote and respond. susan

It's more common with males than females, but some females will go on a hunger strike, too. If this happens, then one has to be extra sure that their female can physically handle a fast and producing eggs.

Last year my female didn't eat the entire time she was gravid except for two meals post brumation. She took about 2 days after laying to want to eat. Once she did, there was no looking back. The females this year ate all the way up to about a week and a half before laying. They didn't eat until after their post lay shed. Both are eating like ravenous pigs now and I'm keeping an eye out for signs of double clutching.

susang said:
Her last feed was march 28th and because she went off feed I decided to see if it was because of breeding season and it was less than 5 minutes after I placed her with the male that they connected. They had 3 successful connections verified by the left over goo. Jimi

jimijaw said:
Her last feed was march 28th and because she went off feed I decided to see if it was because of breeding season and it was less than 5 minutes after I placed her with the male that they connected. They had 3 successful connections verified by the left over goo. Jimi
I neglected to mention that the 3 connections were over a period of 6 days, I would remove her after each time and give them a 1 day break in between. Jimi

Back