• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eggs: Day 40

NickP961

So I have eggs in the incubator that were laid on March 26th, so that makes the eggs at day 40 today. They have been doing really well, all 14 have veins and are nice and big, and I see black blobs in the bottom, (yay :) ). But anyway, the egg on the top of the pile is starting to feel thin and papery and is starting to deflate. That wouldn't be so unusual if it was closer to the 60 day mark, but because its so early I'm sort of concerned. I noticed the denting like two days ago so I decided to put a damp (wrung out completely) paper towel to put directly over the eggs and then I also put the sphagnum moss back overtop of the paper towel and eggs. Well, I checked this morning to see if it was just drying out, like maybe there wasn't enough humidity, and it still feels thin and is dented. Could this just be a really early denting/hatching snake because its on the top of the eggs closest to the heat source? I'm not sure what to think.

What temp are you incubating at? I usually feel the thinning about a week before hatching.

If you have damp, wrung-out moss on top of the eggs, they are not drying out. Do _not_ make them any more wet. What incubating media are you using?

I'm using vermiculite. I have not made them anymore wet than they were. I took out the paper towel earlier because I thought it would be too wet too. I'll post a picture of the setup after I get home from work.

After all you have done, I wouldn't worry too much. I have seen babies come out of some really ugly eggs. As long as it doesn't mold it should be fine.

Back