• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Face rubbing…

702marine

Why would one of my snakes rub his face along the edge of his bin? I don’t mean just roaming around and checking stuff out but rubbing like a cat does. He eats fine and a is nice and healthy. He has just shed not too long ago so I don’t think its that.

Two things come to mind. 1) is he possibly going to shed soon? (*Sorry it's late, I missed the part where you said he shed not too long ago.) How old is he? younger ones shed more frequently than the adulsts. Also, was it a complete shed? Maybe he's got some left that he's trying to get off?
2) how big is his enclosure? I've heard of snakes in enclosures too small, can cause then to be stressed & start rubbing.

How are his hot side/cool side division regulated? Is he humid enough for his liking? Some snakes are very picky and want more hiding places, climbing vines, room to roam. If his body can wrap around the diameter of his tank, than getting a bigger tank would most likely satisfy the snake.

He is a somewhat new snake to our home so he is in quarantine right now. BUT his bin that he is in is large. He is about 3 ½ feet and 290g… All and all he seems fine. He will just be checking things out and rub his face a couple times and then go on about what he was doing.

Ours sometimes do it in behaviour that looks like they're either cleaning their faces or testing the boundaries of their enclosures for weaknesses. Corns are smart escape artists and they are very very persistent. If they think they can push something till it gives they will keep trying. As long as your snake Gives up and does something new after a few minutes, and doesn't start showing signs of soreness on it's nose or cheeks then it's fine. It's just testing it's world, or simply having a nice scratch.

How recently did he feed? They sometimes rub on things to massage their jaws back into place after feeding. Or so I've read.

I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds as if he's checking out his new territory. One morning you may wake to find a shed skin. I did this morning.

Back