• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Live Feed!!!!

n1ck

$null
up until this point i had been feeding dead pinkies to my baby but today i decided to give her some excitement so i bought two live! i put her in a seperate container and tossed in the food.....at first she was more curious/afraid of them she kinda just poked around! i walked out of the room to take care of her old substrate and a few other things after about 10 minutes i went back in and she was getting closer. as i was watching she quickly snapped one up and constricted!!! it was so amazing! she was just a fighting away! only thing i didnt like was the little guy was screaming the whole way down ....... but i guess thats life or lack there of? :p

that's fine while they're still on pinkies but once you move up to larger prey, you need to switch to f/t or freshkilled. Really you should keep them on f/t all you can to avoid converting ur snake to live food. The "excitement" is more of a "in your mind" thing rather than the snake's. Granted it's great excercise for the lil thing, handling will do just fine.

yes i suppose you are right. probably a little more work for her food than she wanted.. hehe but it was neat to at least see it once. but those little screams will haunt my dreams. ok maybe not but u know what i mean. i think it was a neat experience for both of us but i do prefer doin the frozen thing! i also think she likes her new aspen substrate much better than the crap i had before. also got a nice "log" for her to hide under and climb on and also aide in her shedding process. shes exploring around her new stuff now. i dont suppose it would be bad to keep changing the interior of my snakes viv? making them "relearn" their new environment? guess ill see how she reacts to it all

i actually notice now that i put her back in her viv. shes in her half shelter hide box and shes breathing really hard. i hope shes alright.....heh. maybe shes tired from all that excitement? i hope she holds down both pinkies. shes about 14 or 15 inches long but still onl yas thick as a pen. her neck even thinner. the lady at the pet store says she was born in june or july?? i think that is EXTREMELY Small for her age at least from what ive heard? any opinions?

With your snake already eating F/T you have so much less to worry about then others, Some people have a hard time getting their snakes to take F/T mice. It can be cool to watch and If you want your corn to constict get some long tongs and wiggle the pinkie around that normally works. although I have seen snakes eat a live pinkie with out constricting.
Jaimee

i would try the tong thing but it seems that would piss her off? hehe i dont want to raise a mean snake?

Attachments

• newsnake2.JPG
    newsnake2.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 119
  • newsnake3.JPG
    newsnake3.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 116
Yep F/T= frozen thawed. Look you knew with out anyone telling you! Nice looking snake you have looks similar to my sons snake.
Jaimee

No no no don't feed live! Using tongs to 'wiggle' f/t food will not make your snake aggressive I promise. In fact you may not even have to to get the thrill of watching her constrict (I don't, Sir Charles constricts every time anyway).

You don't have to feed live to get them to constrict and give them the extra exercise. I feed all of mine with tongs and give them the wiggle factor with fabulous results. I also do not have any that are in any way aggressive towards me.

This is ridiculous.

Feed live if you want, dont let people tell you that you're not supposed to. I was unaware that in the wild the mice came running over and killed themselves so that a snake could eat them freshly killed.

:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is saying you're not SUPPOSED to feed live, I think they're saying it's much safer for the snake if you feed F/T. Live pinkies and fuzzies don't pose much of a problem to a snake, but larger ones can seriously injure or kill a snake if left unattended even for a little while.
I'm sure in the wild there are many snakes that get fatally wounded by rats or other prey, it's the law of the jungle, but we prefer to keep our pets as safe as possible, and in that regard, feeding F/T is the only sure way to keep them from being injured by their prey.

i suppose both of you have a good point. all in all its whats in the best interest of my snake.... i dont think the pinkies pose much of a threat but i dont intend on throwing a live gerbil or anything "fiesty" in there.... funny thing about it, she was in her blue phase and i hadnt even realized. she just shed her skin about an hour ago ........i fed her friday. anyway, she did well and ate two live pinkies .....im proud of her :)

Congrats on the shed!! Like I said, live pinkies aren't a problem as far as injuring the snake. But, as other people have said, since you are going to eventually feed f/t it is better to switch sooner than later. Some will become accustomed to the live mice and be hard to switch to f/t later on. :wavey:

In addition to JTGoff's clear points on the advantages of feeding f/t.. A captive snake is not the same as a wild snake, so may not have as well developed instinct and/or killing skills, not being exposed to the same dangers and all.

A wild snake goes hunting when it wants food, whereas we just hand it to our snakes; if for some reason they refuse to eat, live prey (beyond pinkies) can pose a real threat.

Not as important a point as the possibility of not being able to switch back to f/t, but worth remembering.

Tracee said:
In addition to JTGoff's clear points on the advantages of feeding f/t.. A captive snake is not the same as a wild snake, so may not have as well developed instinct and/or killing skills, not being exposed to the same dangers and all.

A wild snake goes hunting when it wants food, whereas we just hand it to our snakes; if for some reason they refuse to eat, live prey (beyond pinkies) can pose a real threat.

Not as important a point as the possibility of not being able to switch back to f/t, but worth remembering.

While I understand your point, you dont 'develop' instinct, you're born with it.

Snakes know to eat mice. They know to constrict something larger than a pinky. I always watch my snakes eat live, and if they dont whack it within 30 seconds they're not hungry and out comes the mouse.

Yes I could have worded that better. I still think captives are wholly different animals but hey, if we all had the same opinion we'd be a boring lot.

(I think my corn is either really lazy or stupid, bless him. He'll quite easily spend 2-3 minutes soaring around the viv before even finding his food and 'killing' it. Hence I would never even consider live. But I wouldn't be able to stand the squeals from the mouse either.)

pretty snake..well done on 1st shed i wet through it 1st time las week, i found it quite traumatic...i dont think i would ever feed mine live food just on my own priciples..i only feed humanely killed mice...but thats my belief...i wouldnt eat alive chicken so why should my snake...i find it hard to feed mice anyway,even dead ones but hey, my snakes got to eat........do they do quorn pinlies...lol

i think all of you are right. like i said though, i just had to see it done at least once. and like most of you i dont feel right feeding her live mice. just kinda creeps me out, the screams of the mice as helpless as they are and all. her shedding also wasnt as smooth as i had hoped. it seemed that patches fell off first then she shed most of the rest but left some pieces of dry skin on her.... i put a soaking dish in for her and attempted to place her in it *after reading that a lot of peoples snakes like to soak* mine didnt however, lol. i left it in there for her to try on her own free will however placing her in it kinda seemed to piss her off. haha. i dont know if the rest of the skin will just fall off? if her shedding will become better? i wet down her viv. with a spray bottle couple times a day even slightly misted her before her shed.... didnt seem to help any. i just hope the next time goes better this was the first shed i have ever experienced so i know it couldnt go worse ;)

Back