• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Geek alert: Knitting and crochet patterns for felted snake accessories.

Okay, I've really lost it now.

I was feeling all, "Awe, I love my snake and I want to hold it while I do the dishes." So... I have this purse that I crocheted and felted, (put in the washing machine to shrink on purpose to remove the holes and strengthen the wool). I put snakie in there and put the purse around my neck so it was positioned in front of me.

Snakie did not want to come out. Refused as a matter of fact. So I out the purse in the viv and he stayed there for 2 days!

Felted wool is machine washable and resistant to mould, smell, etc. It's soft yet provides grip. Comes in an array of colours to match any vivarioum decor.

Here's my questions:

1. Has anyone else ever knit or crocheted a hide for their snake?

2. If so, did you keep the pattern?

3. If I post pictures and a pattern, would anyone consider knitting a felted hide?

I'm telling ya... snakes love hiding under felt!
Tracy

Please post pictures. I'm guessing it was all snug and soft and warm. Same reason I LOVE handknit wool socks :)

I knit (obviously) but I'm willing to try to work out a knit pattern. I'm thinking short rows, like you do with socks. I think I could make a sort of cave like the coconut hides. That way no bottom to get icked. My one concern would be sterilizing, but scrap yarn is cheap.

I make kitty toys, why not snakie napping spots.

Shannon

Please post pictures. I'm guessing it was all snug and soft and warm. Same reason I LOVE handknit wool socks :)

My one concern would be sterilizing, but scrap yarn is cheap.

I make kitty toys, why not snakie napping spots.

Shannon

Ya, I knit socks each year as xmas gifts and people love me more after!

Crochet is super easy FYI. I take it you knit in the round then? If I make a pattern for DPN's will that be okay?

As for sterilizing, wool is bacteria and mould resitant and washable. Set 'er on hot, (it's already felted) and you're good to go. Red heart sells a good felting wool.

The idea I had actually is for the hide to not have an ATTACHED bottom, but rather, to have a disk of felt that the felt hide sits on. That way, you can wash it alone if desired. Sorta like a butter dish with a plate and cover. Oh! A handle at the top. Woo-hoo. Good idea!

Those "reptile carpet" thingies are made of felt but it's cheap felt with acrylic in it.

Also, premature baby hats that volunteers knit HAVE to be made of acrylic for the sterilization factor. If you don't want to felt a hide, but just knit one, you can use acrylic. It's "plastic" yarn so it should be fine. I'd do it on needles 1 size down from guage to make it tight thought, y'know?

I'm a bit of a yarn snob in that I LOVE luxurious expensive yarn. Luckily, I work at a "Cafe and Yarn Emporium" part time so I get a good discount!

NIce to run into a fellow fibre addict here : )

I'll post pics when they are done. Figured I whip off ten little ones for the hatchlings I hope my gal can produce, and work out the proper pattern.

Cheers!

Crochet I can do, but I can't knit. And, unfortunately allergic to wool. But...if I can crochet it in cotton I am game.

Cotton won't felt, but you could try reinforcing it with something to keep it open. You also might try alpaca, kinda expensive, but most people who are allergic to wool can wear it and it felts wonderfully.

I think after I get done with some more of the cleaning I want to accomplish today I may play around with a pattern or two. I think I have it worked out in my head, now just have to see if it works with sticks and string.

Shannon

DISCLOSURE: I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CROCHETING.
But this idea intrigued me. So I went hunting...

The closest I could find to approximate a hide was this cat bed. I think you can cut out an opening once it's ('felted'?)

Now I wish I knew how to crochet...

You can definitely cut it after it's been felted. I'm planning on just knitting the doorway in. Still working out the best way to do the pattern. I'll try to keep track of what I do and then post the pattern. I'm hoping it comes out. Should be fun at least...or it will drive me utterly bat crazy!

Shannon

I just cut the pant legs of an old pair of jeans. Less arty, but at least I don't care if my snakes poop on them.

Nice stuff, by the way. Artists are awesome!
(I want to learn to embroider)

DISCLOSURE: I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CROCHETING.
But this idea intrigued me. ....... Now I wish I knew how to crochet...

That's okay! Go to a thrift shop and buy a WOOL sweater. Cut a small square, about 4" x 4" and throw it into your machine with a load of laundry to see how much that particular wool shrinks. Here's felting instructions :

Felting the pieces:
Set washing machine water temperature to hottest. Wool felts better when there is a pair of jeans or a towel, which doesn’t shed, in the load. The agitation and will help facilitate the felting process. You don’t want a lot of water in the machine. Set the water level on low, add your pieces, a few pairs of jeans and cup of detergent. Put on a heavy agitation cycle for about 10 minutes of agitation. Check the shrinkage every 3 minutes or so to ensure it doesn’t shrink too much. When piece is as small as you want it, set machine to the rinse and finishing cycle. Remove from machine. Stretch/shape pieces into a pleasing shape. Remove excess fuzz. Shape or Lay flat. Let pieces air dry.

So, for a sewater you buy from a thrift shop, cut pieces and them sew them together with a similar colour yarm. The felting process will engulf/hide all the sewing. If you can, sew with a wool yarn with a large needle.

I make scarves from felted sweaters and they look great. That "thrift shop smell" is easily removed from wool as it is a natural fibre and opens readily in hot water to allow dirt out.

I'll try to do one of those too, to show you how they turn out for me, but I say just go for it before me. What's the worst that can happen?

Don't felt more than one sweater at a time as you can clog the drainage pipes.
Good luck!

Back