• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heat Tape

surfrkidTS

First of all, I am building a rack and need to know how to hook up heat tape to a thermostat. :eek1: I don't know which thermostat i am using yet but the heat tape needs to cover the bottoms of a three level rack. Help appreciated! pics even better!

Most thermostats have a female electrical plug wired into the system. You solder an extension cord to the hear tape, with a male plug, and simply plug it in. :)

so you need an extension cord for each level of the rack? (Is there maybe a site that will tell me step by step? because I can do computers, but the electronics behind them amoung other things just screws me over again and again) :rolleyes:

No, you'll attach the extension cord to the first piece of tape, then wire each piece to the next in serial. There is an brief explaination on my rack system thread.

It should look something like this:

=l---------/////////////////-------\\\\\\\\\\\\\\--------///////////////

Key:

=l------ is the plug

//////// and \\\\\\\\ are pieces of flexwatt

-------- is wire

Photo:

Attachments

• Wiring_flexwatt.jpg
    Wiring_flexwatt.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 66
and than feed the wire up through the sides of the rack? Another dude from Fauna told me they lose too much heat if you do that. It seems easy though. Anyone notice temp loss from =----///////----\\\\\\\ ?

Reactions: CAV
Sounds like a novice

Not unless you craftsmanship is horrible! My backing is flush with the rear of the shelves.

that is the way that mine is set up and I have not noticed any kind of heat loss except on really cold nights. I have my thermostat set at about 83 degrees and it stays that way through the entire day.

Now, if you live in a modern house, that is insulated and temperature controlled, then you won't notice the heat drop that I do at night.

ok, sounds like your way makes much more sense, but heres a pic of the diagram someone sent me on how to make the rack... isn't a very bright pic but you'll get the idea

Attachments

• ShowLetter.jpg
    ShowLetter.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: CAV
example1.gif

Please excuse the artwork..lol.. Here are some link to my site that may help...
http://www.mgreptiles.com/FLEXWIRING.html
http://www.mgreptiles.com/FLEXCRIMP.html
http://www.mgreptiles.com/THERMOCOMPARE.html

Hope this helps,
-Matt

Back