• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heating Pad Setup

jagodzinski

I just got a new 40 gallon tank (I had a 29 gallon) for my snake. With the 29 gallon setup, I sandwiched the heating pad between a piece of foam insulation and the bottom of the glass and carved channels for the wires. However, with the new tank I plan on using those furniture raisers so there is an air gap for the hot air to escape. My question is how to adhere the heating pad to the underside of the tank as my heating pad is not sticking. Can I use that metal foil tape?

Also, should I get a larger heating pad or can I use the same heating pad as for the 29 gallon tank. I know that ideally 1/3 of the tank is warm but if it is the same square footage as warm side in just a larger tank overall would that be okay?

You can use foil tape. I use silver Duck Tape and that has been fine for me. Since the UTH is based on floor size, then the same floor area or even a larger floor area that is still not big enough to move up to the next size heater means the same UTH is fine.

Thanks! I figured it would be fine to use the same UTH but I just wanted to be sure that conclusions was not made erroneously in my excitement to finish the new setup :)

I take new UTHs and peel the sticky cover off, place the UTH on a piece of foil just over twice the size of the UTH and fold the foil over like a packet. Then I use packing tape (really, any kind of tape) to secure it under the viv.

This way if you need to remove the UTH to a different tank or need to wash the tank the UTH comes off easily, no damage to the wires. The foil does not impact the heat output at all.

That's a really good idea! However, I have always bought T-Rex heating mats (super reliable, never had a problem) and they are not sticky. In the end, I just used packing tape just on the laminated part where it does not get hot.

Just though I'd post again in case anyone else ever has the same situation.

Back