• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How pure must a corn be to be truely pure?

What appears to be known for certain is that there are ultra corn snakes with known, lost, or otherwise unknown grey rat snake in them and it is also known that this is also a highly controversial subject as well. The point being is that hybrid genes are already mixed into a great many corn snakes and the decision was made that this mutation would be treated like pure corn as I have come to understand it as it affected too many corn snakes and too many breeders. Which is another reason why keeping good records is of utmost importance if you are concerned with purity. But, what this shows to me is that purity is an arbitrary subjective term if we just look at these facts alone.

Never mind the fact that what we consider to be a species is another man made and artificial designation. Species, however we look at them are constantly evolving. Species are commonly accepted as being able to interbreed and produce fertile offspring capable of continuing the lineage. For me, I understand those that like "pure species" or "pure local" specimens. However, unless your working in conservation, catch and release, etc.... the corn snakes one breeds regardless of "purity" or "local" are not breeding or being selected for in any natural way.

A dog being released back into the wild to replace its lost wolf population or corn snake breed for our own purposes and tastes and released back into the wild makes about the same sense to me. The purpose of breeding for a hobby such as this is to often create something new or novel. We are seeking to alter the corn snake in much the same manner as we have altered dogs from their wild wolf counterparts. To think of corn snakes in the hobby in other way simply does not make sense to me. So, when I think of hybrid, pure, or unpure... these are all artificial constructs that while they do serve their purpose for a conservationist... serve little purpose to someone who just wants a cool looking corn snake be it hybrid or otherwise as snakes bred for a hobby group are not under the same selection pressures as their wild counterparts.

picture.php

Agreed, all it takes is one person trying to belittle another person rather than look at the facts, argument, and unknowns.

Is God willing to prevent hybrids, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh hybrids? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Or, perhaps one could argue that hybrids were always in gods plan and thus he used his power (omnipotence) for all kinds to be able to breed and produce fertile offspring having full knowledge (omnipotence) that we would do so as we were created in his image to create? Who are we to argue with gods plan? There are many ways to look at this argument.
What constitutes a species or a kind? Creationists look at a kind thusly, "What does the word kind mean?

Since two of each kind of land animal (and seven of some) were brought aboard the Ark for the purpose of preserving their offspring upon the earth (Genesis 7:3), it seems clear that a “kind” represents the basic reproductive boundary of an organism. That is, the offspring of an organism is always the same kind as its parents, even though it may display considerable variation." http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v5/n2/variety-within-kinds

picture.php

One could argue that breeding a member of the same kind to another of the same kind but of considerable variation might be allowing one to approach a more pure kind... one that was closer to the original kind of that animal. Such as when one breeds a corn to a milk, gopher, king, etc.

Seriously, I try to look at an argument from each and every side I can to understand the motives, thoughts, etc. of the majority. Why does someone think the way they think about hybrids... it intrigues me and as many do get their morals, ethics, ideas of right and wrong, etc. from religion one must look at it from all sides if one truly wants to understand something as controversial as purity or hybrids.

Back