• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I'm confused - Lavender x Amelanistic = ?

Matthew

-M.P. Stafford
Yikes! These genetics are a tad overwhelming. I've been chugging through the available reading on them. I guess the next step is to get the Book on it.

On to the point - I've got a yearling female Red Albino. Since she has two 'mutant' genes, she'll always pass those along, correct? So she'll not have hets that I'm not aware of? Or is it possible that she's het for something?

I'm looking to cross her with a Lavender or maybe a Motley Lavender, but I can't figure out what the offspring will look like.

I downloaded and used Mick's Progeny Predictor and according to it, the babies would be 100% Het for Opal, or if crossed with a Lavender Motley, 100% Het for Opal, 100% Het for Motley.

Well, from what I can understand...Het means they're not displaying the morph correct? What morph(s) 'could' I expect? The predictor didn't list any and I'm having a helluva time figure it out myself.

Snakes in general are very new to me and I never took even a smidgen of Genetics so it's very confusing for me.

Sorry if it's been asked before and I know you Genetic pros get tired of answering this stuff, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your 'red albino' is an amelanistic. That is one gene, not two.

If you were to breed your amel with a lavender you'd get normals het for lavender and amel, or opal.

So, you'll get normals unless you breed your snake with something that is het or homo for amel.

Your amel (red albino) could be het for any number of morphs, there is no way telling just by looking at her, only breeding trials will tell. Het just means there is a hidden gene that isn't visual.

If you breed her to a lavender you will get 100% normal het for opal, unless your two snakes each have a het in common like anery, then you could produce them as well.

I hope I didn't confuse you more, I'm sure one of the experts will come along and give a better explanation.

Joejr14 said:
Your 'red albino' is an amelanistic. That is one gene, not two.

Oops, must have misread that section. Thanks for the correction. :)

Joejr14 said:
If you were to breed your amel with a lavender you'd get normals het for lavender and amel, or opal.

So, you'll get normals unless you breed your snake with something that is het or homo for amel.

So if the Lavender was Het for Amel, then I'd get 50% Amel, Het for Lavender and 50% Normal, Het for Opal?

Wow, my brain hurts now. :(

Thanks for the help, Joe. I was mostly confused with the Progeny predictor, I think. Hopefully one day I can figure that stuff out by myself. :)

Thanks again.

Matthew, dont feel bad.. Im in the same boat as you and after reading this my brain hurts too. :bang: I've got two books and am waiting for two more books in the mail. Hopefully I can start to figure something out from these books.. but yikes it does get confusing. :shrugs: especially when it comes to figuring out what to pair with what and what the results could/would/should be...

The 2007 Cornsnake Morph Guide makes it all seem so easy. Seriously, that book can clear up 90% of your genetics questions, and get you WELL started on firguring out what you would get if you crossed MorphA with MorphB, or what you need to do to produce MorphX.

Example: Opal x Motley het butter

Father and offspring

Attachments

• Opal Aztec.JPG
    Opal Aztec.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 47
  • Amel het lavmot.JPG
    Amel het lavmot.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 47
  • het lav mot.JPG
    het lav mot.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 47