• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

lid clips

cotner

I currently have these ones on my 10gal viv that will soon house a new baby butter corn courtesy of Brent at Dakota Corns :) (cannot wait for it to arrive on tuesday!) I have two sets of these, so two on each of the long ends and it seems to keep it pretty tight.

http://www.petco.com/product/4353/P...ETCO Reptile Screen Cover Security Clips-4353

I saw this type of locking clip today while browsing the internet and was wondering if anyone had tried these?

http://www.petco.com/product/109367..._-Zilla Fresh Air Locking Screen Clips-109367

i use the first ones you linked for a rat snake, and it works great! No escapies yet! lol

Im not sure about the second one, ive not seen those on cages. I usually use the sliding top cages for my snakes, so i dont have to go with clips. I feel the sliding top ones are just over all more secure.

but again, yet to have problems with the rat snake cage. :)

yeah, i was going to pick up a sliding lid "critter cage" by zilla but they were darn near $40...while the 10gal aquariums were $1 per gallon at petco currently so i figured id give this a try first seeing as it will be housing a hatchling. Once it gets a little bigger, ill get a 20 gal long "critter cage" w/ a slidng top. I dont think a hatchling is strong enough to pry this one open, the corners are pretty tight.

yeah, i posted on there about these clips too, but i figured it would get overshadowed b/c the original topic wasn't about clips, but about an escaped snake. So i reposted :) I was hopin someone knows somethin about these locking ones and if they are legit. If so, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new locking viv if need be.

Here is a thread about them here on cornsnakes.com. Came across it in my lurking :D

Has a little bit of info about them.

In setting up you new hatchling's viv keep in mind that he will grow quickly. I always recommend buying once. Meaning you will spend a whole lot more by purchasing a 10 gal and then a 20L than you would if you just bit the bullet and bought the 20L right from the start. Also in a 10 gal tank it is very hard to regulate temps unless you are using UTH and no overhead light because of the lack of terrestrial area. A 20L has more ground space than the 10 of 20H therefore giving the animal place to get out of the heat. Whatever you do DON'T stick the UTH to the bottom of your tank. Once you do so you can't guarantee that it will be safely removed when you need to more up in tank size. I suggest you stick (if it's that kind) it to a piece of ceramic tile. Then you can move it from tank to tank with ease. The sliding lid is sooo much easier than the clips. No parts to lose and it can be maneuvered one handed and also locked if you have small children around.
Congrats on the new animal and best of luck.
Terri

I use the clips in the first link you provided. I know it is recommended to have a vivarium with a sliding screen top...but frankly most people won't spend the extra money to get one. I haven't had any problems with the clips, and I do make sure they're on extra tight. To the point I can barely get them off at times. I tend to have some heavy books and such on top of the vivarium as well. Not so much as a precaution, but because I have books all over my room ;)

Back