• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Little ones have a new home, but need help with how to transport them

RoseRed

So L1 and L2 have a new home. For those who don't know, they are the two I got that were not hypo plasmas, but lavenders (possibly hypo lavenders) [here's a link to the original thread if you want to know the whole situation http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127318.]

A kid near my home town is willing to have them. The town is only 2 hours away from where I live, so I was thinking that I would transport them by car next time I go down. But first I need some advice.

I am wondering the best way to transport them. They are only small hatchlings at the moment. I was thinking of lining a box with styrofoam and maybe putting in a small heat pack. Or would the heat pack be too much since they will be in a heated car anyways? If I am to use a heat pack what is the best kind? (keep in mind they are only going to be in transport for 2 or so hours, not sending via FedEx or anything).

Thoughts?

Styrofoam lining would be fine and I think you're right that the heat pack is unnecessary for that amount of time. If the car is comfortable for you, then it'll be fine for the snakes but beware of overheating them. Just make sure their tub isn't near a heating vent and they aren't getting a constant direct blast of hot air.

I use an escape-proof tub or tank that I can wedge in the foot space of the rear passenger seats. I pad it out with old towels if necessary, to hold it in place. Another option is to use the seatbelt to hold the travelling tub in place on a seat, but I've found that it slips around a little more with that arrangement. It can also be in the way of heat vents.

When I transported a snake, I put it in the deli cup it came in, lined with paper towel, and put a digital thermometer probe in there. Then I warmed up a towel and loosely wrapped the towel around the deli cup. The temp stayed a consistent 80, granted it was sitting on my heated van seat. I was mostly worried about overheating, which is why I used the thermometer.

I usually put mine in a cooler. Inside an additional tub or pillow case of course. I'll put some towels inside to keep the containers from moving around, and put just a tiny piece of something in the corner of the cooler lid to make sure they get air flow. If it's really hot or cold, I wrap a water bottle or ice pack with a towel and bring a digital thermometer, just in case.

Back