• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Looking for feedback on my setup

Andrew870311

Hey guys,
Still new to the forum and new to corn snakes in general. Would like any feedback (positive or negative) on my setup for my young snake. Don't hate me if I posted this in the wrong place =p.

So here is Norman's setup. Its a 10 gal for now screen top with 2 different heat sources. One heat pad placed on the bottom, and a overhead lamp.
16kv1d.jpg

Here is the cold side, pretty dull.
wjjqm1.jpg

And here is the hot side, where most of my questions begin.
zlw5j7.jpg

On the hot side the heating pad will keep the inside of hide right around 85F.
With the lamp on however it gets up to 99F (heating pad unplugged). Also keeping the humidity right around 40-60 % is a challenge. But I mist it once a day. So with all of that being said, am I on the right track? :confused:
Obviously upgrading to a bigger tank once he gets older. Or am I over thinking all of this and he is fine.. :headbang:

Thanks for any input,
Andrew

It looks pretty good, but there are two things I would change. I would get rid of the heat lamp. Not only should that solve your humidity problems, but your crepuscular snake will probably appreciate not having glaring light on him all the time. Your heat pad sounds like it is keeping the warm side warm enough that you don't need any additional heat. And secondly, I would add some more ground cover, like fake vines, so your snake can move around freely but still feel like he's hidden.

Nix the lamp, IMO. The UTH should be all the heat you need.

The lamp also dries the air, contributing to you humidity headache.

Its funny you guys say get rid of the lamp..I just got it today! Haha oh well. And thanks for the input. But my humidity problem has been going on since I have had the snake, like I said just got the lamp today. Trying to do as much as I can for the little guy with budget I'm on. Thoughts?

You could try covering the screen on top with plastic wrap or something similar. Poke a few holes in it. I used that set-up (with foil, his lamps would have melted plastic) for my Sav when he was tiny enough for an aquarium.

Also, you can put the water dish on the warm side over/near the UTH. That helps too.

humidity likely won't be much of a daily issue especially when you're misting daily. the time when it will really matter is right before a shed.

Yes, get rid of the heat lamp. Do you have a thermostat (or at least a rheostat) on the uth?

If you want more humidity, you could cover the top (as mentioned) and/or use a water dish with more surface area.

Also, the temp guage you have mounted on the glass is fine for the ambient temp, but you should (if you don't), have a temp probe on the glass bottom directly in the middle of the uth. If you don't have this (and regulate with a thermostat/rheostat to about 86-90F)), you could be doing your snake harm, as the uth will likely get too hot for the snake.

I just noticed you have a digital temp gauge going into the hide, where is the probe mounted?

I just noticed you have a digital temp gauge going into the hide, where is the probe mounted?

Probe is mounted inside the hot side hide. Wanted to know what the temp is in there. And I have already taken down the lamp, returning it tomorrow :cool:

Probe is mounted inside the hot side hide. Wanted to know what the temp is in there. And I have already taken down the lamp, returning it tomorrow :cool:

Still not clear exactly where in the hide the probe is mounted. If it isn't already, you need to mount the prob directly on the glass above the center of the uth. You can use a hot glue gun or aquarium grade silicon to do this.

The ambient air temp inside the hide is irrelevant. If the air temp is 85ish, then the floor is going to be much too hot. Your snake will burrow under the shavings for heat. With corn's, it is all about 'belly' heat, not ambient air temp. If the floor is too hot, you can stress or even hurt your snake. And, again, your floor will be too hot is the ambient air temp over your uth is 85 (assuming the ambient temp in the rest of the house/room is less than 85).

Are you using a thermostat or rheostat on the warm side?

I agree with all of the above. But you definitely don't need to mist your tank, the water bowl should provide enough humidity on its own. Many members here live in Arizona in the desert and none of us have any problems with humidity. Misting can cause mold or mildew, and corn snakes are not ones who need to be moist.

He should shed once a month or so, and if he is shedding in pieces then maybe look into getting a moist hide (a regular hide with damp sphagnum moss in it) but see how the next shed goes, now that the lamp is gone there shouldn't be a problem.

And the more "clutter" on the viv floor the better. They like to hide in it, so they won't be totally hidden all the time (although they THINK they are!). The more hides the better, my little guys love toilet paper tubes smooshed down on one end then angled downward into the substrate. It is like a little cave for them. They aren't always pretty, but disposable boxes and tubes make for cheap or free hides.

Ok guys first off thanks for all the input really helps. So I made some adjustments today and here is the updated results!

A quick trip to the local Goodwill and I was able to snag a fake plant, cut and trimmed them to add some more foliage. Also moved the probe for the thermostat to the middle of the viv, just above the ground.
29ffecj.jpg

Here is a pic of the back to give a better idea of where I put the probe.
14jam2d.jpg

My plan is to still keep this setup (if its good) for future snakes. I would like to get into breeding one day figured if I keep all this stuff that is less I have to buy down the road.

Yay finally on the right track! Now I must have more snakes..

I'm don't think you are quite there yet. :(

Do you actually have a thermostat regulating the temperature of your heating pad? It does not look like it. I am not talking about a thermometer (of which your yellow digital zoo med is one). I am talking about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTP...UTF8&qid=1426989807&sr=8-2&keywords=hydrofarm

The probe from the thermostat needs to be hot glued or siliconed to the floor (under the shavings) of your viv - directly in the middle of your heating pad (which I assume is attached underneath the glass floor?). So your heating pad would be on the bottom side of the glass floor and the probe on the top side of the glass floor.

You would plug your heat pad into the thermostat and the thermostat into the wall. The thermostat will cut power to the heat pad when it hits the desired temperature - 86ish to 90ish. And then turn power back on once the heat pad temp drops too low.

Without the thermostat, there is a very good chance you heating pad is getting too warm for your snake. The only way to know it to glue your probe from the zoomed to the floor above the heating pad and see what it is reading.

Ok I see what you are saying now, little bit of a disconnect there at first but I am tracking now. So in the link is that the best bang for the buck? I have seen them at Petsmart/Petco
for $25-$60. And with what you said I imagine I need this as soon as possible.

I would get the one in the link. The hydro farms are proven performers. I have been using two of them (two different viv's) for 4 years with not a single hiccup.

Yes I would get it asap. It would be a good idea to see, right now, what the temp of that heating pad is getting the bottom of the viv up to.

If you don't want to glue/silicon your zoo med probe there, I would hold it against the bottom (directly on the glass, over the heating pad) for a few minutes and see what it reads. If it reads much over 90, I personally would unplug it until you get the thermostat (assuming the ambient temp is reasonable).

Note, you will want to set the thermostat a few degrees below the max temp you want. I have mine set to 84. This keeps the warm side between about 83 and 89 - your mileage may vary, just keep an eye on it initially and adjust the temp accordingly.

regarding holding the probe on the viv floor, make sure your fingers aren't touching the probe - don't want your body heat throwing the reading off.

Back