• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Oh nooo....

Well the mahoosive slug has moved right down to about an inch above her vent. I am pleased with this and its small enough that I know she will pass it on her own. I think thats the only remaining one. 9 slugs :(

Perhaps she will double clutch and produce a lovely pile of white eggs... perhaps not. Either way shes still my girl and Im glad shes ok for now. Im not so stressed out about it anymore.

Congrats. If it is that close and she does have any problems, an experienced person can likely palpate the last large egg out! Sadly, that egg is pretty much dead even if it is fertile. They seem to die rather quickly if retained too long. I suspect this is due to a lack of gas exchange after they were SUPPOSED to have been laid.

I'd have to check my records, but I can't EVER think of a time where I had a case of slugs followed by lots of fertile eggs without re-breeding. Don't get your hopes up on a fertile double clutch - sorry. :( Until she passes those, I wouldn't encourage you to try and re-breed her, either. By time she passes them, it might be too late to re-breed even if you want to. I'm just advising caution - that's all.

KJ

Of course I wasn't going to re breed her :p It was just wishful thinking. I don't expect this last egg to be fertile, it's rock solid. It's small enough that I think she will be able to get it out herself, if not then my partner has experience in palpation and aspiration (which would be of no use with a hard slug). Better luck next year eh... I have learnt a valuable lesson about patience and muscle tone. I may try to pair her up next year with a different male and see what happens.

Well the mahoosive slug has moved right down to about an inch above her vent. I am pleased with this and its small enough that I know she will pass it on her own. I think thats the only remaining one. 9 slugs :(

Perhaps she will double clutch and produce a lovely pile of white eggs... perhaps not. Either way shes still my girl and Im glad shes ok for now. Im not so stressed out about it anymore.

Woohoo! Every time I see this thread back in my User CP, I'm hoping for good news. I finally got some :)

Oh no shes not passed it yet Jenn, but she has cleared for shed and she ate a small moose :) I expect her to shed within 3 days and hopefully lay that last slug on her own. If she can't it will be easy enough to help her out although I fear she is in for some major ring sting.

Have been following this thread and ... sorry to learn that you are not getting a fertile clutch but ... am very glad that there aren't any major problems.

I felt bad for me the last couple of weeks, and my lungs have suffered irreversably. They hate me and my dirty (yet oh so blissfull) habit.

Oh Elle, sorry it didn't all go as expected, but at least it looks like Lacey will be ok. :)

Now you go find that Murphy fella and give him a good, swift kick out the door will ya :)

Best wishes,

Oh I'm sorry I misunderstood Elle :(
At least she doesn't seem all stuffed up though, that's very positive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything ends up staying fine for poor Lacey.
And for your lungs.

I'm so sorry this had t burden you Elle! I know things haven't been going the greatest for you this year and that you'd been waiting for this clutch for a while. I'm at least glad that your little Purple Puddle made it through all right!

puddle

I thought she looked pretty out of shape,I dont breed any corns that resemble a puddle ! Once they lay slugs unless the male isnt fertal you can expect the same results again if she gets bred. She needs exercise. Bummer!

I thought she looked pretty out of shape,I dont breed any corns that resemble a puddle ! Once they lay slugs unless the male isnt fertal you can expect the same results again if she gets bred. She needs exercise. Bummer!

To give her credit, she was dubbed the purple puddle in her brumation pics. ;) Still, I think that we'll have to wait for next year's clutch to say if either is less than fertile. If I'm not mistaken this is both snake's first breeding?

It's both snakes first time breedings and Lacey is NOT overweight! Shes a BIG girl... started off at 600 grams and is now down to 534 with a sticky out spine. She has great muscle tone, has no problems passing the eggs, she just didn't have any good eggs to pass. I handled her and made her swim for 20 mins a day up until she was visably gravid...

postbrum3.png

Here she is just out of brumation after gaining 40 grams in preparation for breeding. (and shes got a few small mooses in her tummeh)

Another couple of shots to show shes not fat. She bloats when she has food in her (no matter how small the prey item) and flattens herself out into a triangle when she coils up.

belleh2-1.png

belleh-1.png

She's so purty! Don't look fat to me! People think wommens have to look like a rail to be attractive. A running joke 'tween my wife and I when we see these twigs walking around is, "now SHE needs a sandwich!"

Back