• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Places To Buy Slugs?

pridecity

Patients took over asylum
I'm trying to expand out my feeder bug collection. I'm sure there are several of my reptiles who would love to have some slugs, especially my turtles. Because both of my turtles are native to Colorado, I'm looking for local species if possible. I'm looking more specifically for Agriolimax reticulatus, the Grey Garden slug.

Does anyone know where I can find live slugs for feeders? If a place sells Agriolimax reticulatus, that would be great. I really don't want to have to find some from the wild because of risk of pesticides and, frankly, I've never seen a slug here in my life.

Also, do you think bearded dragons and leopard geckos could eat slugs?

On further research, Deroceras reticulatum would also work.

no idea where you'd get them, but just thought it was a funny topic. how many people can you talk to about buying slugs? (o:

Tell me about it. No matter the search terms on Google, the results are always pest control. Not helpful. Lol.

I'm your neighbor and have one place in my yard that gets full of slugs! I haven't weed sprayed the lawn for a couple years, but still don't know that I'd risk feeding them. Can you breed wild caught and feed the young?????

That's what I was going to say- catch some and breed.

I have them in my yard and fed them to boxies for years without any problems, with pest control _right_ in my yard, _but_ I didn't send any to Meg when she was looking for them for her snail-eating snake, because I'd hate to be the person who killed the snake...

I'm not set up for them yet, so I guess I have a few days to think about it. I did discover that my Ornate like earthworms. I'm trying to get them to live in the pool with her, but they keep dying. I'm spending today trying to fix that.

As far as breeding, I guess I'll have to look up how to do that. I'm just not sure where I should be looking for the little critters. I'm next to a park but they spray like heck there. I also live next to railroad tracks, but not sure if that's the best place to look either.

Look anywhere that has automatic sprinklers on in the very early morning. At my house, they are close to the house, near the gardens, never out away from things. Short grass.

I guess I just expect it to be like in North Carolina where it's basically "step step crunch" as far as slugs and snails go. Though, I suppose a slug would be "step step squish". I used to hate going outside after a rain because I felt like I was committing genocide. All I heard was "step crunch crunch squish step".

I can think of only one person who has an automatic sprinkler and I don't think he'd appreciate me nosing around in his yard. The park has some, but again I'm wary. Maybe I'll stalk the foundation tomorrow.

I would definitely look into collecting and breeding some. I know that I can go out and find dozens just by flipping old logs and boards, so you could probably find a great little colony to start with that way too.

Here in the PNW we have some huge slugs. I'd be happy to give you as many as you like. LOL These buggars are everywhere in the spring here.

Would you like me to grab a few for you the next time I see some? They usually come out after a good rain. I used to raise snails and I know there are snail/slug lover forums out there that could probably tell you how to breed them.

I would appreciate any and all. I wonder how one would ship slugs? Thank you everyone! Goose the box turtle and Fish the western painted will love you forever.

I actually do sell slugs by the dozen. They vary from 1.5 to 4 inches. Measuring a slug is not an exact science because they can contract themselves into a very short and fat critter when they feel threatened or even when they get cold

I'm trying to expand out my feeder bug collection. I'm sure there are several of my reptiles who would love to have some slugs, especially my turtles. Because both of my turtles are native to Colorado, I'm looking for local species if possible. I'm looking more specifically for Agriolimax reticulatus, the Grey Garden slug.

Does anyone know where I can find live slugs for feeders? If a place sells Agriolimax reticulatus, that would be great. I really don't want to have to find some from the wild because of risk of pesticides and, frankly, I've never seen a slug here in my life.

Also, do you think bearded dragons and leopard geckos could eat slugs?

On further research, Deroceras reticulatum would also work.

I sell slugs to people for all sorts of reasons. Some use them as live bait for fishing and others for feeding purposes. They do have a heavy slime so they need to be handled while wearing disposable gloves otherwise it takes serious hand washing. They also carry diseases that can make us ill so I definitely take the gloved route:)

Back