• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Plastic/Sterilite viv's tell me more

Dinah

So our tank is all set up and running well and so I thought great I get to relax a bit and take a little time off from all of the preparing we have been doing, but then my MIL dropped a bomb shell when she asked me "what are your plans for hurricane season?", certainly it sounded like an innocent question, but it has put me right back into planning and getting ready mode. So now I am trying to figure out what we will do with our snake if we have to evacuate. We definitely would prefer to bring it with us. If a hurricane is coming we leave our house because it is a trailer and we ALWAYS BRING ALL OUR PETS. We have a friend nearby who has an extremely strong house and that is where my family and pets go. I have already checked with them our snake is welcome at their house as well, but my question is how do I get it there and really more importantly where do I put it once we are there.

Brining the whole big tank might be a bit much. So now I am wanting to put together a small shoe box sized or larger as the snake grows (but still the smaller the better) evacuation viv. But I have no experience what so ever with this kind of thing. So I have some questions

1. Do ya'll who use plastic tub's as bins use regular UTH's or do I need a special one due to the plastic material?

2. What do I do about power failures? I am trying to be calm about that issue because this is FL and hurricane season is in the summer time, but still I worry. We have been without power before for up to a week after hurricanes, and while we do have a generator we do not run it 24/7.

3. Would it be better/less stressful for the snake if I used it's favorite hides from the tank in the travel viv so that way there will be a familiar smell? OR at least duplicates of those hides?

4. How big? Obviously while it is a small baby the shoe box size is fine, but what about when it is big? For future planning I want to know what size of temporary shelter would be appropriate for an adult? Remember this is just temporary shelter for a day or two max so it doesn't need to be the ritz or anything LOL.

5. I assume it would be better not to feed at a time like this due to all the stress and potential for no heat right?????

6. How do you make sure a plastic bin stays closed?

7. Am I too paranoid?

8. What do ya'll do with your snakes if you have to evacuate? Does this seem like the right/sensible thing or is there a better option that I have over looked?

Thanks a lot in advance, I have been here long enough to know that ya'll will be able to tell me exactly what I need to know and I really appreciate that.

Dinah

I almost forgot how do ya'lls snakes react to an approaching hurricane, does the changing pressure and stuff make them act weird?

I'll do my best to help you out here. I use Sterilites for vivs, and I can't see myself going to a glass aquarium after using tubs.

1. You can use a regular UTH, but make sure that it's still regulated with a thermostat or rheostat. If the UTH overheats, it can melt the plastic, but at those temperatures it would very likely kill the snake.

2. I don't have much experience with this. If it's warm out, you should be ok as long as there isn't any food in their bellies. If it's colder outside, you might think about getting some hand warmers and placing them on the outside of the viv (maybe on the side, so the snake doesn't lay directly on the heat and overheat). I've also heard of using hot water bottles, but without electricity that might be a bit difficult to do.

3. I would go for duplicates. I think as long as there is a comfortable place for them to hide, they should be OK.

4. For adults, I use a 34qt. sterilite as their permanent home. I imagine at the bare minimum you could go with a 15 quart tub, but I'd recommend going a bit larger. A 34 qt. tub doesn't take up too much room. (You can see a link in #6.)

5. I wouldn't feed during a power outage if it can be avoided. Especially if you'll be moving them back to their original viv when the power comes back on. It would be a lot of stress, and could lead to regurge.

6. I use these, which have latches on the sides. I also use these for my hatchlings, which I like better. I'll probably be switching everybody over to them eventually, if I can find the right sizes. I also use binder clips on the tubs with green latches for snakes under 100 grams. There is a small gap, and I worry about escapes.

7. No! It's always a good idea to be prepared for the worst case scenario. :)

8. With my larger snakes, if I know it's going to be a temporary (a few hours) evacuation, I might put the larger snakes in pillowcases and the smaller ones in deli cups, just so it's easier to transport them. However, if I don't know how long it will be, I will likely take their water bowls out of their tubs and just take the whole tub with me. I haven't had to face that yet (*knock on wood*) but if it comes down to it, that's my plan.

I’d like to answer #7 first.

7. Am I too paranoid?

Oh absolutely, no question about it. Way over the top. My goodness woman.

If you are talking about a day or two, put the snake in a pillow case. He will be just fine. Protect it from extreme heat and cold. Toss it on a shelf in your friends closet and forget about it until you can return to your trailer.

I say all that jokingly, but its true just the same.

IF I ever have to evacuate, every animal I have is coming with me. I don't care how packed the car is. There will always be room for them, even if I have to rent a UHaul.

To keep the plastic sterilites closed, binder clips are your best bet. If you're still paranoid about them getting out, you can also use nice, tight bungee cords.

1. You can use a regular UTH, but make sure that it's still regulated with a thermostat or rheostat. If the UTH overheats, it can melt the plastic, but at those temperatures it would very likely kill the snake.

2. I don't have much experience with this. If it's warm out, you should be ok as long as there isn't any food in their bellies. If it's colder outside, you might think about getting some hand warmers and placing them on the outside of the viv (maybe on the side, so the snake doesn't lay directly on the heat and overheat). I've also heard of using hot water bottles, but without electricity that might be a bit difficult to do.

4. For adults, I use a 34qt. sterilite as their permanent home. I imagine at the bare minimum you could go with a 15 quart tub, but I'd recommend going a bit larger. A 34 qt. tub doesn't take up too much room. (You can see a link in #6.)

5. I wouldn't feed during a power outage if it can be avoided. Especially if you'll be moving them back to their original viv when the power comes back on. It would be a lot of stress, and could lead to regurge.

6. I also use binder clips on the tubs with green latches for snakes under 100 grams. There is a small gap, and I worry about escapes.

I will definitely use a thermostat whenever there is heat involved because well I am very paranoid, I am even to worried to try the dimmer/rhetostat option LOL....so I guess that proves Wade right.

Hurricane Season is in the summer time with outside temps in the upper 80's or low 90's here and inside temps with a/c are about 78 over night lows are in the low 70 overnight. Without power inside temps are just like the outside temps but stuffier.

We are hoping to have our permanent house built before our snake becomes and adult, but depending on how long it takes and how fast our snake grows that 15 qt looks like it might be able to slide under a bed, I will probably be going and doing some shopping in a week or two and I will check out the sterilities in person then to get a better feel for their sizes. At least I have until June to plan and shop for this stuff.

No feeding is what I thought but I figured it would be best to check.

Also what is a binder clip? My husband being crafty and mechanically inclined already thinks he can make something to lock the lids down, but depending on what a binder clip is that might be easier

I’d like to answer #7 first.

Oh absolutely, no question about it. Way over the top. My goodness woman.

:laugh01: So I ended up proving you right about me being paranoid, I attribute this to living in FL so long, I can't imagine all that sun and heat is good for me LOL :crazy02:.

IF I ever have to evacuate, every animal I have is coming with me. I don't care how packed the car is. There will always be room for them, even if I have to rent a UHaul.

We always evacuate everyone and all the pets also but I have never had a snake during hurricane season so I have not had to plan for this before.

What do you do or plan to do about long power outages from hurricanes? Anything or nothing because this is FL and it is pretty warm here?

I have thought this one out too. If I have to evacuate, my cats & snakes are going with me! So 4 cats can be transported in 3 carriers (the 2 smallest cats are totally fine with sharing a big cat carrier). The snakes go in cloth bags -- I have several sizes that various sheet sets came in, then the cloth bags go in a plastic tub. It will all easily fit into my car with room to spare. If it's really cold, I will warm up the car before putting the snakes in it, but I am aware not to put the tub with them in it right next to the hot air. I figure if I have to go to the Red Cross, it will be much easier to hide my tub-with-snakes than the cats, actually!

I figure if I have to go to the Red Cross, it will be much easier to hide my tub-with-snakes than the cats, actually!

At least we are lucky enough to have a friend with an extremely well built house who is also very welcoming of our pets. So we don't have to worry about shelter accepting us.

Move to Oregon :D No Hurricanes here :D

I think Oregon is to far north for me, the actual hurricanes don't bother me so much I am a seasoned veteran of them, I was even in Andrew. But being seasoned also means I am smart enough to know that having a plan and being prepared is very important.

Back