• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Searching for corns in VA

Wannabevet83

Well...sort of, but not really. I don't want to catch any, just to see them out in the wild.

Basically, I've been around wild snakes my whole life...the only one's I've ever caught as a young child were green garter snakes. One time I did catch a baby copperhead (didn't know what it was until it was in a tank and I had a chance to look it up in the field guide...yes I know, very dumb, I was 6 or 7 lol )

Anyway, my point is that I have seen garter snakes, copperheards, cottonmouths and black rat snakes (adult and babies) out in the wild...but never ever a corn.

Why? :(

I've been looking in wooded areas, especially in the larger parks around here. Looking under logs and what not...does anyone else have any tips?

Last edited:
What part of VA are you looking in?

There is a huge swath of area across Virginia that seems to be devoid of corns. I didn't feel like it was possible for there not to be any in that area so I have tried to find them in that area myself to no avail. The Conant's field guide clearly shows the area.

Same in Western NC

There are areas near where I live with tons of black rats but NO corns, unless one of mine escaped! A 20 minute drive and you'll find lots of corns, and very few black rats.

For what it's worth, old stumps are worth a look. If you're ever heading to the SC beach, I highly recommend Tillman, SC's stumps! :D
Were you refering to rough greensnakes in the first paragraph?

I live in WV and it seems to be completely devoid of corns too, tons of black rats, black racers, garters, and copperheads even the occasional timber rattler...but never corns. I live on the very southern tip and I'm planning to do some snake hunting when the whaether warms up.

There are areas West of Franklin in the highway 58 corridor that you can find them. Or you can drive to NorthEast NC. and find lots of them. You won't see any around Richmond.

wild corns...

i've heard its better to look for them at night. afterall, they are nocturnal. i'm sorry, maybe you were..but if you weren't, i've heard its hard to locate them otherwise unless trying to trap them with a silk fence, which i've heard researchers and collectors do. i have personally never seen them in the wild anywhere and attribute my poor field skills. I've found many other interesting herps in the search for wild corns. i've found pristine prime habitat/env'ts for them too...its comparable to a needle in a haystack!

I live in southwestern Va (Roanoke), and we have plenty of corns around. Don't know about other areas of the state, though.

I always have the best luck finding them in dry, grassy areas instead of forest, so you could try looking in meadows or fields. Good luck!

Roanoke area

I live in Southwestern Virginia near Roanoke and I also want to find Corn Snakes to observe in the field. Rinpu, can you recommend to me any fields in the area where I could look for Corns? Thanks alot!

Oh, by the way, this is my first post (I think).
I have 2 Corns (Hypo and Black), ages 1 and 3 (22" and 40") and they are great pets!

Welcome, BUT....

Couldn't you have come up with a better, more original user name? LoL
-jason
(carl3)

Carl03 said:
I live in Southwestern Virginia near Roanoke and I also want to find Corn Snakes to observe in the field. Rinpu, can you recommend to me any fields in the area where I could look for Corns? Thanks alot!

Oh, by the way, this is my first post (I think).
I have 2 Corns (Hypo and Black), ages 1 and 3 (22" and 40") and they are great pets!

Snake hunting pointer!

I am going to let you in on my biggest secret. It really doesn't matter the species you are hunting, the time of day, the position of the moon, the season, where you turn logs, peel bark, beat brush, road cruise, pray hard, any of that! I have run across more "keeper" colubrids when just walking through the woods with kids or when fishing with buddies than in my many, many trips specifically looking for them. If you leave the hook, pillow cases and such behind, and have hours before you can conviently get back to your car; THAT is when you will find the great catch! I'm sure John Albrecht et al., will concur. :angry01:

Re: Welcome, BUT....

carl3 said:
Couldn't you have come up with a better, more original user name? LoL
-jason
(carl3)

DOH! Hopefully that's not your instant messager name too :) I've caught slack for having the most unoriginal AIM screen name for 5 years (ccarl03).

Well, I can't really recommend any specific places...I was talking about any old field that you might happen to find. Farmland, vacant lots, weedy areas, that sort of thing. I mostly found corns as I was out wandering and exploring.

Back