• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shed 5 times in 5 months

donmaga1

My corn snake has she 5 times in 5 months. Is this normel???

He is about 4 1/2 feet long and have him 5 months.

Cheers. will the shed be every month?
I go to feed him once a month, for the last 2ish months he is eating twice a month. he is off his food for two weeks before his shed.

I tend to feed mine every 5 days, but I think that everyones corn will shed at different times, it could be once a month or every couple of months. who knows :eek:

Well I guess it's because he's shedding but optimally your snake should be being fed once every 7-10 days...

My boys have gone into a late breeding-season fast, I'm lucky if they're eating once a month, but with adults it's normal.
I'm surprised your adult snake is shedding that often, have you checked for mites or healing injuries, because it;s generally hatchlings on a faster growth schedule that shed that often

depends on your snake. A couple of mine, Lil and Calamity, seem a bit 'sensitive' straight after a shed, as if they don't want to be handled that day. All the others are fine :shrugs:

After his last shed he had a bit of DRY skin that would not shift even when I had him run through a wet cloth. He is in good form. There is no mites around I have checked, But it is worth a closer look.
When he sheds it is a bit of a shock. Something I dont think I will get use to.
Thanks for the advice

If the dry skin still hasn't come off you need to keep trying, it could become problimatic later on if you don't.

For those 'difficult' sheds, may I reccommend.................the 'SNAKE-O-BATH'! (wet flannels in your feeding tub + snake + half a brick) works a treat. The half brick is for the snake to rub against if so inclined.

Attachments

• shed.JPG
    shed.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 33
I've had a look, My biggest/oldest snake Buck (approx31/2-4 foot long now) has gained 47grams since January but only shed twice. (and he's only eaten 8 large adult mice)

My 2 babies shed once a month almost like clockwork. Tiaga my adult shed about every 6 weeks, and my newest that I got as a yearling shed within 3 days of getting him, which was about 3 weeks ago so will be seeing how long between sheds he goes. He ate for me for the first time since we got him and that makes me very happy. I was becoming concerned a bit, but not so much that I was going to try force feeding given the time of year and he is male. Will see if he sheds in the next week as I think he will or not....

Had a look at him this morning and he is back to himself. His skin is fine. Will give hime a clean later and see how he gets on. I will keep a close eye and see if I can spot the reason why he shed so quickly. The quick shed, It could just be one of those things. Thanks for teh advice.

Back