• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

takin a dip?

cotner

So i've heard from multiple people on here that some corns like to swim and that it can help when the snake is getting ready to shed. My question is, can *hatchlings* swim? or only mature snakes? Mine is a little over a month old and I dont want to put him in a bin of water unless it's safe. Also, if it is safe, what temps should the water be at and how much water should be in the bin? thanks all :)

I'm sure hatchlings can swim, instinctively. However, they are small and get out of breath and tire easily, as well as are easily frightened. I would not have a hatchling go swimming. However, if the hatchling likes to take a dip in his water bowl, it would not worry me at all.

I just had to soak a few hatchlings out of my last clutch. They were only a week old at the time. I put them in a tub that had about 1/2 inch of water that is luke warm and only kept them in there for only 10mins so they didn't get to worn out and the water didn't cool off to much.

Warm water (80F or so) is what I use; I put an inch or so of water in a tub and put a wash cloth in one side, add enough water to go over the wash cloth a bit, and add the snake. They can swim or hunker down on the cloth if they want.

Back