• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON????

CAcornguy

Beginner breeder!
Hi everyone. I think I may have a problem. My female laid her eggs about 3 weeks ago, and she felt empty, and she was not eating. Then she went into her blue stage, and shed her skin a couple days ago, but I just felt her, and she has more eggs! How is this possible? The male has not been back in with her. Is it possible for them to "Double Clutch on their own? She did mate with both of the males. Could she have held sopme sperm in her? I did not think she was egg-bound, but how can I tell? She felt empty before, but she definetly has at least 6 eggs inside her. I can feel them sure as the sky is blue. Should I just put her nestung box back in with her and see if she lays them? Has anyone had this happen before???My eggs are slowly dwindling too. I think 2 or 3 have died...and the others look like they are barley hanging on. I checked tyhis morning, and there was a little mold growing from the humidity, but nothing major. One egg had turned dark yellow, so I flushed it down the toilet. Well, and advice is GREATLY needed and appreciated. -Don

This may help some...

:)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1638&highlight=double+clutch:)

Quoting Forum Member Darin Chappell from the above link....

"Double clutching is when a female lays a second clutch of eggs in the same breeding season. This can happen in one of three ways:

1) She was bred back to a male after she laid her first clutch (this breeding does not guarantee that she WILL double up)

2) Some females will hold back enough of the previous breeding's sperm deposit to fertilize a second batch of eggs and double clutch even if she only has contact with one male for one breeding.

3) Some females will simply lay a second batch of eggs that have not been fertilized at all, and these will all be slugs.

Double clutching is fine as long as the female in question is large enough to sustain the stress necessary to produce viable eggs. Body weight of the female is the key factor, and a thin female shouldn't be exposed to a male in the hopes that she'll lay a second clutch." :)

This happens often with cornsnakes, most of the time the eggs are slugs unless you put a male with them after the first laying. I don't like double clutching myself but if she is going to lay eggs anyway they might as well be good ones. So I'd put a male with her next year after her first clutch.

No rules. :eek:

Last year I had SEVERAL females that had nearly 100 percent infertility in the first clutch, but the second clutch, without being exposed to a male again, I got 50 percent or BETTER fertility ratio.

I do not normally double clutch my females, but MANY of them will do it anyway. Miami phase seem to be the ones most prone to do that for me.

Sperm Retention

Okay, so we seem to have two opinions -
Some believe that a female MUST be placed with a male in order for her second clutch to be fertile.
But, Rich (and others) seem to have proven this theory wrong.
That a female CAN produce fertile 2nd clutches without repeating the breeding process.

So, my question - Has anyone found out just HOW LONG a female can retain viable sperm?
Or, perhaps, the better question - How long does retained sperm stay viable?
Any other facts and figures on this topic?
This could prove problematic, if one wanted to breed to one male for the Spring clutch, and to another male for the 2nd clutch. Couldn't it?
Very interesting........:)
My two experiences with a second clutch with no second mating both resulted in small clutches of all slugs. Kind of like an 'afterthought' clutch.

How can you tell when she is eggbound??

So when I first noticed that she had more eggs in her, I searched her substrate, and found one dried out egg. Three days ago, the egg appeared to be right near her cloaca, but it still has not come out. She seems to have no energy, and she does not seem to want to hang out in her nesting box. She has not eaten in about 2 months. The eggs inside her feel larger than the ones in her first clutch. I am so confused. I suppose I should just take her to a vet now?? How long would you guys and gals wait before going to the vet with this? How much does something like this normally cost at a vet?? Thanks again. -Don

Egg Bound? DON'T WAIT!!!!!!

If you think she is egg-bound, DON'T WAIT!!!!!
Go to your best herp vet ASAP!
In the mean time, give her a warm, humid place to wait....
Personally, if I felt one of my snakes were in serious trouble, I'd head for the herp vet like my tail was on fire, throw credit cards at the receptionist, and be prepared to sell a kidney if necessary!
......but that's just me. :rolleyes:

Perhaps some of the more experienced folks here could offer advice on how to help her at home.
But, if you're just not sure - head to the vet!

Back