• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakes Other Than Corns and Kings

Donald388

I have greatly enjoyed all of my corns and am looking to expand my collection past just corns and kings. I want something rather different (without breaking the bank). Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have any interest in snakes that get too large though. Those I'm fine admiring in others collections.

Thanks in advanced for your suggestions!!!

I am partial to black pines myself. They can get rather big though but not python big lol

Attachments

• pine.jpg
    pine.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 238
I am partial to black pines myself. They can get rather big though but not python big lol

That is a very nice looking snake. What kind of housing size requirements do they require? A quick Google search didn't really turn up too much information about them... might need to revise my search

I would recommend a ball python, my ball doesnt live up to anything that you hear bad about them. He will eat anything and they wont get too big. You could always get ratsnakes too!

Bleh don't do ball pythons. They are so frustrating.

I really like my bullsnake. She's a hissy thing, but super fun. They are in the same genus as the pine snakes. Western hognoses are fun too, they are tiny little snakes that act like they are the toughest kids on the block.

It's too bad you wouldn't be interested in something a bit larger, my boa is by far my favorite snake. He is just the neatest animal I own, and just plain awesome to hang out with. I was afraid of boas growing up, because they were "constrictors", and now I have him and I can't wait for him to be bigger (he's four foot @ 1 1/2 years).

Bleh don't do ball pythons. They are so frustrating.

I really like my bullsnake. She's a hissy thing, but super fun. They are in the same genus as the pine snakes. Western hognoses are fun too, they are tiny little snakes that act like they are the toughest kids on the block.

It's too bad you wouldn't be interested in something a bit larger, my boa is by far my favorite snake. He is just the neatest animal I own, and just plain awesome to hang out with. I was afraid of boas growing up, because they were "constrictors", and now I have him and I can't wait for him to be bigger (he's four foot @ 1 1/2 years).

I'm mostly trying to stay small because I am currently in an apartment... I am actually looking at buying a house after my lease is up so I may have the capability to do a little larger in a year or so. I am not sure if this is true but I have been told by several people that boa's can affect your home owners insurance...?

I would recommend a ball python, my ball doesnt live up to anything that you hear bad about them. He will eat anything and they wont get too big. You could always get ratsnakes too!

I plan to look into balls further... I have several friends who have them, which is one reason I haven't gotten one. i kind of want something different. They are not completely off the table though...

I'm planning on getting a ball this spring/summer, depending on if they lay fertile eggs and they hatch lol! Like you I want something "different" then a corn. My first(not including the garders we took home as kids) snake was a childerens python, they only get 3 feet long. That might be something to look into. Charlie was nasty though, they have hundereds of tiny sharp teeth! lol

That is a very nice looking snake. What kind of housing size requirements do they require? A quick Google search didn't really turn up too much information about them... might need to revise my search

I am having a 4 foot viv made for her. Could prob get away with a little smaller. She is young at the moment and calling a 34 quart sterlite home for now.

I personally love Morelia. Irian Jaya's stay fairly small. You could get away with keeping a normal adult IJ in a 36 X 24 X15. Some of the larger Carpets generally do well in 48" cages.
When I buy my house, I plan on building even bigger cages for mine.

HOGNOSE!! I LOVE my Western Hognose! They're small, adorable, easy keepers, and have fascinating personalities!

An adult hognose can be housed in a ten gallon, so they're easy to fit into an apartment.

DSCN2586.jpg

Well, first off, let's set some rules, what do you consider "breaking the bank" cus to some $500 on a snake is nothing, to others, $50 is way to much. Also, what's "big"? To me an 8ft python is decent, but to say my mother, a 12" ringneck is a beast lol

Alot of the locality boas don't get too big. My hog islands shouldn't get much longer than a corn, they'll just be a little thicker. I just love the boa personality, so i'm a little biased toward them.

when i go to put my corns back they try to escape, when i put my boas back they try to slither back up to my shoulder to hang out more.

African House Snakes. Females will get about 3ft long, whereas males will stay about a foot smaller. They can be quite active, and don't seem to mind being handled (as long as you don't surprise them). Plus, they have widdle bitty python faces! :D

35896_73009_Large_XIWmgSlQfC60.jpg

Well, first off, let's set some rules, what do you consider "breaking the bank" cus to some $500 on a snake is nothing, to others, $50 is way to much. Also, what's "big"? To me an 8ft python is decent, but to say my mother, a 12" ringneck is a beast lol

:roflmao: That is quite awesome. I thought my mother was going to blow a gasket when I brought home my first snake (not to mention the second... or third).

Very good point! I was hoping to shoot for around 200 or less depending on housing/heat/humidity/ect requirements. I don't currently have an open enclosure so I'd also have to spend money on that as well...

As for size I'd like to shoot for about 6 feet or less.

Does anyone have any experience with Russian Rat Snakes? I came across them while looking around online.

I plan on looking further into all the different snakes mentioned by everyone and I appreciate your suggestions!!!

Does anyone have any experience with Russian Rat Snakes? I came across them while looking around online.

I plan on looking further into all the different snakes mentioned by everyone and I appreciate your suggestions!!!

Seems like there was a pair available, but all I know is cooler temps and great looking snakes. Have always liked them.

Seems like there was a pair available, but all I know is cooler temps and great looking snakes. Have always liked them.

I think I saw a pair available on here at some point too. I'm really not having a good time finding much reputable availability on them.

I have also been considering the green tree python but I'm finding a lot of conflicting information on them and yet again very little reputable availiblity

Alot of the locality boas don't get too big. My hog islands shouldn't get much longer than a corn, they'll just be a little thicker. I just love the boa personality, so i'm a little biased toward them.

when i go to put my corns back they try to escape, when i put my boas back they try to slither back up to my shoulder to hang out more.

This is exactly what my BCI does. She LOVES to be out/handled and tries anything she can to keep you from putting her back in her tank. :D

I second the awesome personality on boas. They are just a joy to keep and will eat ANYTHING. Have you looked into Brazilian Rainbow Boas? They stay fairly small and are absolutely beautiful animals.

Back