• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anyone on facebook see this???

Thanks Tara, and if FB didn’t give me the option to allow none members to look at the album, I would…but since they do, anyone so inclined can click it to see the pictures.

Since the pictures are in a FB page accessible to anyone, and since the pictures have "www.chuckhurd.com" on them, would it be considered plagiarism to copy them here? In my opinion is just a matter of convenience. No one is trying to take credit for them. :shrugs:

Chuck, there are settings on FB to limit who sees photos, personal stats, and even whether you yourself are searchable/findable on FB. Go into privacy settings.

I don’t know if its plagiarism or not and there is no way I would try to prosecute even if it was….i just want the tenets of good taste to prevail here. I have been very clear that I do not want my pictures on messages boards. I want the person that posted them or the owner to remove them.

As for privacy, that isn’t the point. I do not mind if the entire world goes to my FB page and looks at them, I just do not want them spread out over the message boards.

I don’t know if its plagiarism or not and there is no way I would try to prosecute even if it was….i just want the tenets of good taste to prevail here. I have been very clear that I do not want my pictures on messages boards. I want the person that posted them or the owner to remove them.

As for privacy, that isn’t the point. I do not mind if the entire world goes to my FB page and looks at them, I just do not want them spread out over the message boards.

Although I don't understand your reasoning, I respect it.

Perhaps one of the moderators will take the pictures down since the person who posted them do not have the edit capability since he/she is not a paying member of the forum.

If you didn’t like your local newspaper….for whatever reason, you just didn’t like it. would you want them to post your pictures to increase their readership?

I'm glad we got the species figured out. IF that had been a corn, I would have stood by the photoshopping claim, just for the pattern visible alone. But as a separate species entirely, it is a beautiful animal.

If you didn’t like your local newspaper….for whatever reason, you just didn’t like it. would you want them to post your pictures to increase their readership?

I would not want my pictures (of me) to be posted, but if pictures that I took (places, animals, etc.) were used to illustrate a point (a very interesting find of a wild pied snake in your case) while giving me the credits for them, I don't think I would have a problem with it. If readers of the newspaper would be wowed by my pictures, I would actually feel flattered. The newspaper would be just an intermediary step. But again, I respect your decision of keeping all the pictures under your personal control.

You can save a little face I suppose, at least you weren’t one of the forensic scientist that broke down my cell pic to the study each scale and label it as a lucy cottonmouth or a copperhead. I wonder if i will hear from any of those guys?

Shelby,

I have given everyone in the world a link to see the pictures. Anyone so inclined can see them at anytime they want to. But I do not want to see these pictures in a book 5 years from now with a caption saying the snake and the photographer are unknown. ----which happens all the time. The closer I keep them to home, the more control I have over that type of thing happening. If you want to share that link with anyone, you are welcome, and I can’t really stop you from coping the pics and sending them, but I am asking you not to. =)

patternlesscotton.JPG

I would love to know the details of this picture. Who took it, when, where, ect. It has been published in books, magazines, and on 10,000 websites, but no one has a clue who took it or where it was taken. That happened because the photo was shipped out over and over thru emails and websites. I don’t want to see that here. This is an unusual animal. I want its locality and who found it to remain intact. I hope that makes sense to you.

Shelby,

I have given everyone in the world a link to see the pictures. Anyone so inclined can see them at anytime they want to. But I do not want to see these pictures in a book 5 years from now with a caption saying the snake and the photographer are unknown. ----which happens all the time. The closer I keep them to home, the more control I have over that type of thing happening. If you want to share that link with anyone, you are welcome, and I can’t really stop you from coping the pics and sending them, but I am asking you not to. =)

Alrighty, just trying to clarify what's a big no-no, and what's okay!

P.S. you CAN make photo albums, and really anything else for that matter, hidden from the general population, or just certain people on Facebook. (I think a majority of the content on your Facebook actually is, with the exception of your wall, info, photos you've been tagged in, and the album with the little pied subject of this thread.) But I suppose the cat is already out of the bag with this one, lol. :)

I have absolutely no desire to hide the pictures. I want anyone in the world that would enjoy them to see them! I just want them to stay in my environment. I didn’t want the first picture shopped out, like it was by Stephanie. I knew what would happen. All the “experts” would immediately begin yelling “fake.” I knew yesterday would be the first chance I had to properly examine the snake and get a series of real pictures. I didn’t want it out to the general public till today. Now that the exam is done and I have pics, I hope everyone sees them. make sense?

There are specific reasons I did not want this picture floating out on message boards: 1, I only had the one picture of the snake, and I knew it was low quality. 2, I only spent a couple minutes at their house, so I had not properly examined the snake to be certain of the species. 3, I just have udder distain for the way internet forums are used in this day and age. But vulgarly against my wishes, my picture was illegally copied and placed in a forum anyway. I put the first picture on facebook specifically cause I only wanted my friends, or at least people I have talked to seeing it. One of the people I had as a “friend” began acting the way people act on a Kingsnake.com forum, certainly not acting as a friend.

I have been a reptile enthusiast for my entire life. I have been catching and working with snakes 30 + years. I have been an internet enthusiast since about 1993, so naturally I was on reptile forums from their very beginning. For years I found them entertaining and valuable. At some point, all of that changed and they became a place for insults and belittling. A place where people would talk in a manner they would never dream of talking face to face. Years ago I became disillusioned with message boards and left them behind.

Stephanie continues to say, “I was only asking questions.” Questions begin with who, what, where, how, and why and end with a ? She was not asking questions, she was making inflammatory statements. First, she posted, that the picture is photoshopped. Ok, I am not one that takes being called a lair well. Next she starts writing me and telling me that a friend of hers has ID’ed it as a rat snake….from seeing the one blurry picture….a picture she already proclaimed to be a fake. During this, she tells me that she cant afford the snake, but feels entitled to better pictures of it. Now, I didn’t cuss her, or immediately block her. I was quite polite in letting her know she was being offensive. Rather then apologize, as I expected, she tells me to count myself lucky that she was doing this in private and not out in public. In short, she was acting the way people act on internet forums, being that I have decided I do not want to be part of that behavior, I did block her. I no longer wanted to hear anything she had to say, or allow her to look at pictures meant only for friends to see.

Some of you say that you know people that had a negative run in with me. If the people you know immediately became insulting or called me lair, you damn right, there experience with me would be a negative one. For some reason, it has become socially acceptable to question people’s integrity on a message board. To me, I see no difference in that and saying it to my face. If you call me a lair on a message board, what is the difference in saying it to my face? I am going to take offense either way and I am not going to suffer it well. In short, you are not going to talk all this crap on the internet, then smile and shake my hand when you see me at a reptile show.

As for you internet detectives that went to all the trouble to search out old pictures, compare the reflections, count the scales on the head, I take enjoy in knowing you now look especially stupid. The pictures are now up on my facebook.

To the ones of you that noticed the keeled scales, good job. I had lens replacement surgery few months ago, and still have terrible eye sight. The first time I saw the snake, I couldn’t tell. Second time I used a magnifying glass and sure enough they are keeled. Turns out that it isn’t a corn.

So, the photos are up. Since its not a corn, not sure how many of you will care, but if you do you can go to www.ChuckHurd.com and access my facebook. I will be happy to ad you and also, I will be happy to answer any questions that you have. That is, if you ask a question. If you call me a lair and somehow how classify that as a question, I will be happy to remove you.

Look forward to talking to any of you that are interested!

As far as I knew, posting pictures that are on the internet are public domain and can be reposted as long as the source is stated.. That I did.... If I am wrong in that belief, then I apologize.... I posted the photo here to get others in the cornsnake communities opinion and that was before you blocked me... I figured that IF it was a corn and was real, the cornsnake community would want to hear about it...
I never once in my email messages to you stated "this photo is photoshopped" I said that the photo to me appeared to be photo shopped but could just be a bad photo.... That is not an inflammatory remark and is just a statement about how I saw it.. AND I even told you after you stated on your page that it was NOT photo shopped that I you didnt appear to be the type of person that would do something like that, you seemed legit..
And yes I did say that a friend of mine thought it looked more like a rat snake than a corn... I was not saying "oh you are a liar and it IS a ratsnake.."
I just told you what someone else said... You do not know me at all to know what kind of person I am... I am very honest and open and will tell you everything that is said... I NEVER attacked you... I NEVER said you where a LIAR... I will post our whole conversation here if you want to continue to say I was acting in a way I was not with you... People here know me and most of them know who I am as a person... If I offended you or came off in a bad way to you,,, That was truly NOT my intent... AT all... IF you chose to look at it that way then it is NOT my fault... It is normal to have questions.. I would've believed whatever you told me had you not of gotten defensive with me.. I would have given you the benefit of all doubt because that is how I am as a person..

Last edited:
Chuck, on facebook, when you post a picture, you actually give up the rights to that picture. I found this information on http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

"When you publish content or information using the "everyone" setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture)."

"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

So, I believe that if you have posted this picture to FB, with the setting that everyone may see it, you have lost the right to dictate where your picture can be used. Please correct me if you understand differently from this information. I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to let you know how to properly protect your rights.

PS... I will delete the photos I posted here immediately per Mr Hurds Request... No harm was intended and I apologize... And Chuck, just so you know.. I did NOT take the photo from your facebook page... It was sent to me via email through another reptile enthusiast that I know... The photo is already floating around out there.. I saw it from him before I ever even looked at your page.. I never even got the status update showing it as I have too many people on my facebook to get all of them..

Chuck, on facebook, when you post a picture, you actually give up the rights to that picture. I found this information on http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

"When you publish content or information using the "everyone" setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture)."

"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

So, I believe that if you have posted this picture to FB, with the setting that everyone may see it, you have lost the right to dictate where your picture can be used. Please correct me if you understand differently from this information. I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to let you know how to properly protect your rights.
Amanda, I believe, not only are you correct about Facebook ( = The Devil ), but those are the tenets, more or less, for most sites on the internet. Photobucket, webshots, deviantart, wikipedia, wikimedia, etc., ad nauseum,....

Amanda,

As I stated hour or so ago, I do not know the legalities and I have no intention to pursue them. But I can not be more clear, the pictures belong to me and I do not want them posted on this forum or any other forum. That is not hard to understand at all. Is it?

Back