• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tessera Debate

Correction to my last post . . .

Paragraph 5:

Brain fodder: Have you any idea how many non-mutant Ultra/Ultramel siblings are sold every year as non-mutants? Since thousands are produced and sold annually in our hobby, the chance of you having one or more of those is high. There would be NO way you could distinguish one from any other non-mutant corn. In fact, the most common non Ultra/Ultramel siblings are Amels. I'm betting that over 90% of you out there unknowingly own some of those. If a "purist" made the decision to get rid of all their corns (or rats, kings, bulls, etc.) in a preliminary effort to start a species pure snake collection from reliably wild-caught stock, they could likely never again own a mutation of the respective species. Since we don't have pedigrees of our snakes that reliably go back dozens of generations, there would be no way for you to determine the genetic purity of ANY snake, AND how reliable are the pedigrees we have? Also, keep in mind that only the likes of thoroughbred horses that sometimes cost millions of dollars require strict DNA evidence of every generation. Likewise, no-one can really say for sure that their champion dog does not have DNA from a different breed. And I'm not referring to all dog species originating from wolves.

In the beginning sentence of paragraph 5 above, instead of non-mutants at the end of the sentence, I meant to say non-hybrids.

Don says "Since all colubrid snakes of the world have a common ancestor, eventually, virtually all pattern mutations will be found in all species."

Now that's an interesting thought!!! Just imagine...

Don says "Since all colubrid snakes of the world have a common ancestor, eventually, virtually all pattern mutations will be found in all species."

Now that's an interesting thought!!! Just imagine...

Yeah, but that's if you believe in evolution . . . :sidestep:

:dgrin:
D80

No. You can't tell a creamsicle from an Amel. I've asked in several threads for definitive markers for this minor task and noone can do it.

If Don's information is accurate, then the "originator" of the Ultras obviously lied to everyone to create that market. The only hybridization you could claim with Tessera at this point would be those bred into Ultra. Let's just cut to the chase. Are you accusing KJ, Graham and Don of lying about Tessera?

D80

IF you can't tell a cream from it's color, how can all these poster's on here tell a snake is a creamsicle from just a pic?? :shrugs: We'll get back to this later...

Regardless of whether the originator of Ultras lied or not, Rich Z dealt in them, and claimed he saw "No Hybrid markers" in his line. Don, on the other hand says he KNOWS they were, and tried to tell every one. Are you calling one of them a Liar, Brent? Or is it possible that one couldn't SEE the "markers"? Is it possible one was just wrong, and not intentionally lying?
If Rich IS a liar, doesn't it throw all the morphs he discovered under scrutiny? Caramel, Charcoal, Cinder, Lavender...?

Well, does it?

Wait, YOU in fact work with some of those ...Don't you Brent?
You "claim" not to work with hybrids, don't you? But, Brent ...are you lying?

It's really interesting how similar the origins of these 2 morphs are. Both of them all seemingly shrouded in mystery and questions and all.

Yes Brent he is:)

Abel Don claims ultra's are hybrids and therefore stated any tessera ultra morphs were hybrids- yes he said it and yes I read it. However, that doesn't make non ultra tessera's hybrids, and no I don't believe they are misleading us when they state this. Remember the parents lineage from the original tessera's were unknown so is it possible? Sure, but as I already have said in two posts now because of natural and forced hybridization the purity of any corn is iffy. Obviously you won't be a future tessera owner and thats fine, but why keep fighting a subject with no answers other than the one's you've been given?

Deniall,
That's just plain RUDE AND NASTY! I NEVER called anybody a LIAR! And your obviously not paying attention, if that's all you took from the conversation.
Hey, you know there's an oil spill in the gulf of Mexico, should we all dump our used oil in there? It's already "iffy" right? So what's a little more polution? Corns are "iffy", so if Tessara is a hybrid it's o.k. that it's not labelled as such, right?

Just wanted everyone to be clear on a few points pertaining to this thread. Those of you that know me, know that I have been a missionary in telling people the Ultra mutation had hybrid origins. When the debates first raged, I was blue in the face reminding everyone that the originator declared that he used a gray rat & snow corn in the first pairing. In fact, only after that original breeder discovered how unpopular hybrids were - did he claim that in the same year he bred a regular snow corn to that first UltraHypo (as he called them) and therefore some of us in the hobby actually did have pure corns. Whether he did or did not, the die was cast. Some still say, "I can see that I got one of the pure Ultra types since I don't see any alien markers", but we all know that if you pour enough water over a cup of milk in your bathtub, you'll end up with a bathtub of clear water. Yes, it is uber watery, clear milk (or invisibly milky water), but the milk is still there (I'm not counting all the pathogens on the surface of the tub or the additives in the water). Therefore, some Ultra types show NONE of the hybrid markers seen in early generations, but honestly, I rarely see one of those. Again, anyone that knows me will tell you that I never claimed Ultra types (Ultras and Ultramels) were pure corns, and I am often the first one that brings up the hybrid reality in conversations. If you go back to the forum archives, they will bear me out. Also, you will see that a decision was made on this forum to consider them pure corns. THIS is the reason you have not seen people calling them hybrids. By the time the debate began, hundreds of people had already bred the Ultra mutation into "allegedly" pure corns. This brings us back to perception. If you perceive that all corns not exhibiting hybrid markers are pure corns, that is only your perception. In reality, it doesn't take many subsequent generations of breeding a hybrid snake back to the desired phenotype - to end up with 95%+ pure-looking corns. Hence, in the absence of nDNA testing (expensive and potentially unrevealing), the appearance of a corn has little to do with its' true genotype. If you rely on mtDNA, you're only seeing maternal heritage.

Regarding the opinions some are making based on seeing the Tessera X Ultramel progeny I showed, those aberrant markings on the Anery and Ultramel are indeed markings that people should question (since they are not common in non Ultra Tesseras), BUT I've seen allegedly pure motleys with the same aberrant markings. Are motleys hybrids? Let's hope not. Of course - as stated previously - we don't question zagging on lavenders and aztec markings in any color compound. My point is that if you have only seen those Tesseras, know that they represent less than 3% of all the Tesseras I've produced. When I have time, I'll post pix of the non Ultra Tesseras for your review. Bottom line (as someone already stated); the Tessera mutants demonstrate no more atypical markings than motleys. And if anyone says that any cornsnake mutant demonstrates hybrid markers simply because it doesn't look like a wild corn, then, they should not invest in any corn that does not look like a wild-type. Drawing the conclusion that because Tesseras do not have wild-type pattern and are therefore hybrids is like saying albinos can't be pure corns OR striped corns must be garter or ribbon snake hybrids.

BTW, the Tessera mutation is demonstrated in at least one other rat snake species, Elaphe situla. In speaking to Karl Krumke of Winding Creek Herps, he confirmed that the Tessera-like mutation in that species is inherited dominantly. If you turn to Plate 31 in the book "A Monograph of the Colubrid Snakes of the Genus Elaphe - Fitzinger" by Klaus-Dieter Schultz - [Koeltz Scientific Books - 1996], you will see several examples of this pattern mutation. Automatically presuming that the Tessera mutation must have derived from that species demands the parallel that motley and striped corns surely derived from other snake species. Since all colubrid snakes of the world have a common ancestor, eventually, virtually all pattern mutations will be found in all species.

Brain fodder: Have you any idea how many non-mutant Ultra/Ultramel siblings are sold every year as non-mutants? Since thousands are produced and sold annually in our hobby, the chance of you having one or more of those is high. There would be NO way you could distinguish one from any other non-mutant corn. In fact, the most common non Ultra/Ultramel siblings are Amels. I'm betting that over 90% of you out there unknowingly own some of those. If a "purist" made the decision to get rid of all their corns (or rats, kings, bulls, etc.) in a preliminary effort to start a species pure snake collection from reliably wild-caught stock, they could likely never again own a mutation of the respective species. Since we don't have pedigrees of our snakes that reliably go back dozens of generations, there would be no way for you to determine the genetic purity of ANY snake, AND how reliable are the pedigrees we have? Also, keep in mind that only the likes of thoroughbred horses that sometimes cost millions of dollars require strict DNA evidence of every generation. Likewise, no-one can really say for sure that their champion dog does not have DNA from a different breed. And I'm not referring to all dog species originating from wolves.

Please, don't take this to be a defense of hybridization. Again, I have never missed an opportunity to mention the hybrid origins of the Ultra mutation - when engaged in conversations about them. I'm not trying to justify hybridization in corns. I'm only setting the record straight on the likelihood that hybrids are in all of our collections. Even though many of us knew the Ultra mutation was not of pure corn origins (via confession by the originator), the reigning forum of the realm at that time (CS) specifically declared that in so much as the credibility of the original breeder was in question and that there were already so many Ultra types in collections, they were considered pure corns. If you find those archives, you will see my staunch opposition to that decision.

Finally: Are Tesseras hybrids? No more than Motleys in my experienced opinion.

Thanks, Don for your input. I can appreciate what you are saying, as well as how you are saying it. I have no problems with you, or the animals you breed. I do however question "THIS" morph. The question is : Is the "Tessera"
stripe gene strong enough in it's dominance to "jump" species? Did the gene originate in Situla, or Corn? I have as of this date, NEVER seen the original animals posted on any sites, I had not seen non Tessera siblings, until you posted them here.
By one of your own peoples definition,(name changed to protect them from being "singled out")

Peer Reviewed? Statistical Confirmation? Scientific Circles? Slow down there buddy, you need to not use so many big words. You are assuming (you know what happens when you do that) that slangenboard and chuck know what all those words mean. Of course you can have statistical confirmation from only one offspring, that is why humans have made great genetic subjects for so many years. We humans can have so many babies so quickly that we were the first organism to be understood genetically. We were Gregor Mendel's model.

Oh wait, that's all wrong, Mendel studied pea plants, oh yeah, and he produced hundreds of offspring from one pairing, before he made conclusions. Then others reproduced and checked his work. That must have been what you were talking about with all this statistical conformation and peer reviewed garbage. :headbang:

It really was not that much to ask of the guy. Rule out Hybrid* . Has not been done.

(*originally caramel)

Do you feel, that if you had raised the hybrid flag higher and shouted louder, that Ultras would have EVER gotten the foot hold they did? Further do you feel enough "pure" corn breedings have been done, to begin breeding Tessera's into known hybrids? Isn't that poisoning the well before you drink, so to speak?

Now then...

Quiet simply, no you can't tell simply from coloration.... It won't be that easy, the more corn blood it contains, the more the creamsicle appears to be a corn. Are you really suggesting a snake that is say 85% corn and 15% emoryi can be picked out by color alone, EVERYTIME?

Exactly! Thank you ! If you can't tell an Emoryi x Corn, then... how can you tell a low percentage hybrid, with a Dominant gene such as a Situla x corn that's only 6% (roughly) Situla.

Oh and how are your creamsicles doing, you remember, the pair you picked up in 2006? Or the rootbeers and jungle you got in 2002 and 2003 (I think the dates are right). Oh and did you ever get those bairds x corns yo were looking for?

The creamsicles are actually 05's?, and doing fine. I no longer have the jungle, and (which) rootbeer?, but no I NEVER did get the Bairds X Corns. The only person I could find selling them was selling animals of questionable health. Thanks for asking.

"Before you pick this apart because I am not "in" or part of the "click".
PLEASE read what this says, and actually THINK about what it means.
Please forgive me if I go "ALL-OVER" the place. If you need clarification I will be happy to try. PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!!
"

You said that in a thread YOU started to debate if Miami Phase could behave in a simple recessive fashion. Of course, to be fair, you did state those were your "crack pot ideas". Wouldn't it have been nice if you lived by those rules when you joined in this thinly veiled "debate" thread ?

You also once posted you wanted a Miami Phase corn and an Emoryi to breed them together, you also purchased the hybrids mentioned above, so obviously you are not against hybrids/integrades.

Umm... WOW! That's going WAY far back. You didn't need to go that far back... You DO need to get your facts straight, though. Some of this is simply not true. I did start a debate on Miami's, which is another issue entirely. I was and AM trying to find some "Pure" Miami corns, and Emoryi Rat's, as they DO make BEAUTIFUL babies. Which for some reason nobody seems to believe.:shrugs:
Oh, sure they'll believe that they make good creamsicles, and they can be used to clean the ground color of Candy canes, so why can't they be used to clean Miami's, too? :shrugs: They can! AND THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!! Anyway, I was never able to purchase them, why do you have some for sale? And, for the record I never said I was against hybrids. I have only EVER said that I think Tessera's ARE hybrids. Since you seem to know how diverse my background is, then you SHOULD know I am not a "noobie" when it comes to hybrids. I like hybrids, because they're USUALLY sold honestly. Ever seen a pure snake sold as a hybrid?

This only leaves the fact you wish to attack Graham, Don and KJ's reputation. I think the nail was hit on the head long ago, you ARE the jealous type. Maybe I am wrong, but much like your "crack pot ideas", that is my thought on you.

You know, this will possibly get me banned (I hope not), but abell and whoty, I think you are an idiots. I am tired of reading your attempts to debate this subject. You are content to continue to stir the pot. I am not silly enough to try and convince you of anything by continuing to post. Neither of you have caused me to get my "panties in a bunch". I just wanted the release of telling you both what I though.

Your right, this is crossing the line. I've never attacked anyone's reputation. I have never called anyone a Liar. I have only EVER said that I thought they were hybrids, and stated how it could be so, and that I would not be convinced otherwise. And I have only "stirred-the-pot" when "called out" to do so.

Oh, one final thing abeel, you have asked a few other posters if they want to discuss this with you in person. Well, I will be in Daytona and I will be more than happy to discuss this with you in person if you want too.

dc

Sounds great Crambree! But if you can't convince me here... I don't think You're really informed well enough to convince me in person either. Doesn't mean you can't try though, right?

By the way if we're going over things I've said in the past, then in a past Tessera thread (you'd have seen it if you read the thread I linked too) I also said....

:roflmao:

Wow!! your charging 1200+ for these snakes, and only half the first clutch will be Tesseras? I can get a jungle for 100.00-200.00 and ALL of it's first clutch will be Jungles, or Supercorns depending on your pov. :roflmao:

What happens if I breed a Tessera to a King, or Bull or? Will I get Tesseras?
What would it prove if someone did? Nothing! Only that it is dominant to spotted. You really can't PROVE it is not a HYBRID. But, no one can prove, (right now) that it is, either.

Why fight it? Take a page from Hollywood... any publicity is good publicity!
Marked it for what it is. A dominant stripe gene, and leave it at that.

So why can't it be left at that? Why do I need to agree that it's not a hybrid? If corns are as "diluted" as has been suggested, then it's STILL a hybrid's trait, even if it doesn't come from Situla. :eek1:
The possibilities...:uhoh:

There is a Jungle Tessera? on Kingsnake right now...
1062811.jpg

Last edited:
IF you can't tell a cream from it's color, how can all these poster's on here tell a snake is a creamsicle from just a pic?? :shrugs: We'll get back to this later...
They do it the exact same way you're trying to implicate Tessera as being a hybrid and calling KJ, Graham, Don and now Rich liars. Good luck with that and your conspiracy theories. :cheers:

D80

They do it the exact same way you're trying to implicate Tessera as being a hybrid and calling KJ, Graham, Don and now Rich liars. Good luck with that and your conspiracy theories. :cheers:

D80

Ah, no YOU are the ONLY one calling any one a LIAR. It's quite obvious that you didn't even read the post. You're just stirring the pot.

Called them a liar using that exact word? No. Implied with great strength that they are liars? Oh hell yes you have. Maybe you don't see it that way, but it is a natural derivation of (paraphrasing) "It's totally a hybrid and you're selling them as pure".

So I just want to thank some of you for pretty much ensuring that Don will be even more reluctant to grace us with his wisdom in the future. Thanks a lot.

Called them a liar using that exact word? No. Implied with great strength that they are liars? Oh hell yes you have. Maybe you don't see it that way, but it is a natural derivation of (paraphrasing) "It's totally a hybrid and you're selling them as pure".

Ah yeah who's stirring the pot now? You people, DOGPILE members, until you get your way. Don said it happened to him with the Ultramel debate, it's obviously happening again...

Yes, because trying to explain to you WHY people are saying that you are calling those people liars is being mean and nasty to you.

Nice way to skirt around the issues. I give up.

I think that there are so many people hoping and dreaming of new morphs that whenever one comes along the way,some are quick to jump on the bandwagon without questioning.
Quick to say,I want bloodred this,I want lavender that. I know that tesseras are pretty little snakes. I wouldn't mind owning one. I have nothing against hybrids. But,I don't think a snake should be labeled as such w/o 100% accurate facts that they are true to whatever it is that they are being labeled as. And to all of those throwing negative remarks towards me just for thinking that tesseras are hybrid....u know what u can do.

My post are in blue text and Abells are in black text, the others are in the standard quote boxes.

Sometimes it is experience and knowing what to look for and sometimes they have no clue what they are talking about.

Regardless of whether the originator of Ultras lied or not, Rich Z dealt in them, and claimed he saw "No Hybrid markers" in his line. Don, on the other hand says he KNOWS they were, and tried to tell every one. Are you calling one of them a Liar, Brent? Or is it possible that one couldn't SEE the "markers"? Is it possible one was just wrong, and not intentionally lying?
If Rich IS a liar, doesn't it throw all the morphs he discovered under scrutiny? Caramel, Charcoal, Cinder, Lavender...?

I am not calling Don, Rich, me you or anyone else a liar, but YES, I think every corn snake gene can be and should be questioned. Don has already addressed some of these and others have addressed other morphs. However, certain morphs have very obvious hybrid markers and others do not. Obviously we have to trust or not trust Don, Graham and KJ's word that they see no hybrid markers in the non tesserra by-products EXCEPT when ultra is in the mix. There are other very suspect morphs that I bet will show "markers" in the normal by-products of tesserra breedings. I do not want to add gasoline fumes while you are running around striking matches hoping for an explosion, so you do your own homework and figure out the suspect morphs

It's really interesting how similar the origins of these 2 morphs are. Both of them all seemingly shrouded in mystery and questions and all.

Not really, you just seem to want this statement to be true.

Deniall,
Hey, you know there's an oil spill in the gulf of Mexico, should we all dump our used oil in there? It's already "iffy" right? So what's a little more polution? Corns are "iffy", so if Tessara is a hybrid it's o.k. that it's not labelled as such, right?

Here you go again not adding anything new. Several people have already stated that corns in general are likely polluted now with rat snake blood and who knows what else. So what purpose does your comment serve except to maybe incite other forum members?

Thanks, Don for your input. I can appreciate what you are saying, as well as how you are saying it. I have no problems with you, or the animals you breed. I do however question "THIS" morph. The question is : Is the "Tessera"
stripe gene strong enough in it's dominance to "jump" species? Did the gene originate in Situla, or Corn? I have as of this date, NEVER seen the original animals posted on any sites, I had not seen non Tessera siblings, until you posted them here.
By one of your own peoples definition,(name changed to protect them from being "singled out")

Valid question, however, where did you see the pics of the original motley, the original amel, the original granite, the original stripe, the original bloodred, the original...you get the idea.

I really have no issue with questioning tesserra, I did the same, however, I made my mind up on what I think and am traveling down that road now. I do not continue to beat and kick and scratch and drive over and slap that dead horse lying in the field over there. As has been suggested several times now, you have made you mind up, so why not let it be? If you like them and believe Don, KJ and Graham, then fine, if you don't, then that is ok also, just move on.

Now then...
Alright, here we go.

Exactly! Thank you ! If you can't tell an Emoryi x Corn, then... how can you tell a low percentage hybrid, with a Dominant gene such as a Situla x corn that's only 6% (roughly) Situla.

I didn't say I couldn't, I asked if you were suggesting coloration was the only way to determine emoryi blood thereby indicating you do not know how to tell the difference. Obviously you believe this is the only way to tell the difference because you asked it exactly that way above.

Now, are YOU paying attention? All we have is how the animals and their by-products look. You seem to respect Don's thoughts and if so, please re-read what he has said twice. IN THE "NORMAL" (NON TESSERRA APPEARING) BY-PRODUCTS, HE SEES NO HYBRID MARKERS. I do not know what else to tell you, that is ALL we can go on unless the original breeder stepped forward and said "yup, I "created" that morph and started the project about 10 year ago (likely it would take longer to refine.)

What are you suggesting, we all decide this morph is a hybrid until we find the original breeders and owner and check it ourselves from the original source? If that is the case, I will trust Don, KJ and Graham for now, you have already established you do not know the accurate ways to determine the difference between creams and corns. Heck, you recently started a post asking for peoples help determining if you have caramels. I am not attacking you here, just stating a fact that is proven with your own words

Umm... WOW! That's going WAY far back. You didn't need to go that far back... You DO need to get your facts straight, though. Some of this is simply not true. I did start a debate on Miami's, which is another issue entirely. I was and AM trying to find some "Pure" Miami corns, and Emoryi Rat's, as they DO make BEAUTIFUL babies. Which for some reason nobody seems to believe.:shrugs:

Bologna, it is absolutely true, here is the link for anyone to read. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65332 If they don't want to read the whole thing, here is where you said you thought Miami behaved in a mendallian fashion.

In another thread, it has been suggested that Miami Phase is NOT an inheritable trait, in a Mendelian fashion. I suggested that it was and could be discussed in it's own thread, so as not to hijack from the OP.
So here it is. And here are my "Crack pot" ideals and theory on the subject

Also, you specifically asked for people who had a miami and or emoryi, you went on to describe how you planned to breed the two together. So explain how anything I typed is untrue. If you do, please start another thread. BTW, so you don't have to look for the old thread, here is exactly what you posted. Explain how anything I said was untrue

WANTED: Miami Phase and Emoryi Rat.
I would like 1 Miami Phase corn snake and 1 Emory Rat to breed it with. Or a pair of "creamsickles" from a similiar coupling. I am located in Southern Illinois.TIA

Yes it is far back but the logic rings true no matter the age. Are you suggesting that due to the age of your post, your request is an less relevant? You expected people to discuss that topic with you civily so why should people not expect the same from you now?

Oh, sure they'll believe that they make good creamsicles, and they can be used to clean the ground color of Candy canes, so why can't they be used to clean Miami's, too? :shrugs:

No, this was tried 15-20 years ago and proven that the emoryi blood didn't produce the affects it was thought they should. Once again, the info is out there on one of the three main forum sites and can be found if you look.

Anyway, I was never able to purchase them, why do you have some for sale?

As a matter of fact, our Miami clutch started hatching today and we have hatched 3 clutches of different emoryi from locality to morphs, however, after this exchange with you, they are not for sale directly to you. I am sure you really didn't want to buy from me anyway.

And, for the record I never said I was against hybrids. I have only EVER said that I think Tessera's ARE hybrids.

Are you illiterate or do you choose to ignore what is typed? I never said you were against hybrids, I strongly indicated you were in favor of them based on your previous post history.

Since you seem to know how diverse my background is, then you SHOULD know I am not a "noobie" when it comes to hybrids.

Just because you have been here a while don't expect to inherit peoples respect. I really do not mean offense, but based on your posts regarding your thoughts on hybrid markers, simple genetics and corns in general then I do not feel you are qualified to discuss this morph. Sure, you have the right to, but don't expect people to take your opinion seriously when you try to discuss a pattern modifying trait and you can't determine if your snakes are caramels or how to identify a creamsicle other than coloration. To tell you the truth, I have my thoughts and do offer opinions in these forums, BUT, regarding this morph, I'll leave it to the big boys to help me. And for the record, I do trust KJ, Graham and Don's word and opinions. Again, no offense to you, but Don has seen literally tens upon thousands of pure and hybrid corns in his business and KJ and Graham hatch a few hundred or maybe more each year, so I will trust their opinions rather than you standing on a stool trying to scream over the privacy fence.

Your right, this is crossing the line. I've never attacked anyone's reputation. I have never called anyone a Liar. I have only EVER said that I thought they were hybrids, and stated how it could be so, and that I would not be convinced otherwise. And I have only "stirred-the-pot" when "called out" to do so.

Keep telling yourself you were called out, eventually you will believe it. No one called you out, you have only continued to argue with every person and valid point made

So I just want to thank some of you for pretty much ensuring that Don will be even more reluctant to grace us with his wisdom in the future. Thanks a lot.

Nanci, I do not think Don will stay away based simply on this thread. He has already stated one of the main reasons why he doesn't post here is time (well, lack of it). He has made his point and thoughts on this morph crystal clear, he sees no hybrid markers and trust Graham and KJ, so he has no reasons to doubt this morph. Nothing any of us say will change that. I am betting he has read this thread and laughed at much of it.

Ah yeah who's stirring the pot now? You people, DOGPILE members, until you get your way. Don said it happened to him with the Ultramel debate, it's obviously happening again...

I am embarrassed for the innocent people on this forum that come here to LEARN? Not how to fight and spit and jab, but to learn about corns. How can that be accomplished with the likes of those few people that use it for their personal wet dreams of confrontation?

Sounds great Crambree! But if you can't convince me here... I don't think You're really informed well enough to convince me in person either. Doesn't mean you can't try though, right?

Crambree, OH that was a zinger, my side is hurting, I hope it doesn't split.

I am done, pick my post apart, I could care less. I know what I know and I know what you don't know and nothing you say now will change that, the proof is in your past posts. We can discuss this in Daytona if you like, but you are probably right, nothing I say will change your mind, but it might just be a fun discussion though! Oh and forgive any grammatical errors, I am to tired and lazy to correct them tonight/morning, which ever it is.

dc

I think that there are so many people hoping and dreaming of new morphs that whenever one comes along the way,some are quick to jump on the bandwagon without questioning.
Quick to say,I want bloodred this,I want lavender that. I know that tesseras are pretty little snakes. I wouldn't mind owning one. I have nothing against hybrids. But,I don't think a snake should be labeled as such w/o 100% accurate facts that they are true to whatever it is that they are being labeled as. And to all of those throwing negative remarks towards me just for thinking that tesseras are hybrid....u know what u can do.

I said I was done, but your post came in while I was typing. This truly is my last post on this subject.

Well, at least you finally stepped up and said you do think they are hybrids rather than like in the other thread where you said they were hybrids, then said you didn't. At least you have taken a stance now.

You obviously aren't paying attention. EVERY corn is in question unless YOU personally catch it or witness it being caught in the wild. Again, what proof do you have that ANY corn morph is pure? Seriously, you paint this wide narrow brush stroke that tesserras are hybrid because of pattern and but you do not have any proof regarding ANY other corns.

Regarding "knowing what we can do", I must be dense, what can we do? Make a sandwich, go clean the pool, go fishing, change a light bulb, kick a midget donkey, ride a tricycle in our underwear while wearing a pool ring float (with a dragon head) what can we do, please tell us, the suspense is to much to suffer.

I am done now, really (admit it, most of you laughed at the tricycle , underwear and pool float image didn't you? Especially since I am 5'-7" and 278 lbs.

peace out!

dc

Yaknow, whatever it comes down to, there is going to be 2 camps, and everyone is welcome in one or the other. But there has been some good info posted in this thread.Yes, many ppl will jump on a new variety unquestioned. There is one thing I'd like to know about this variety. Are ALL the current available Tessaras only het Tessara? (one copy of the gene) One thing would be neat would be get one of the Zamenis situla (European Leopard Rat Snake) and breed to a Tessara that is not just a het.
Look at this pic: Z. situla There are many pics of the species on the web to google.
you might have this reaction :eek1:

There is no doubt many z. situla in the US in collections. And we do not know the history of the original parents of this in corns. I've looked at a dozen pics on the web of situla now. They are very corn-looking. The eye color is only thing in pics I can say is non-corn about them.

I think I really wanted to believe this trait 'popped up' as a pattern mutation from purely corn ancestry. I do not now believe so, but is an amazing pattern and will do a lot for ppl that wish to experiment in corn morphs. regardless if they are really hybrid, which I tend now to think they are. Nobody has been dishonest about Tessara corn origins. The originators might have been mistaken or missing info. Don S has been admirable in his posting.

Let's not take shots at either side. The forum and hobby and the ppl involved don't need this. Debate the facts as presented and state your opinions and make good arguments for your beliefs.

Omni... ever notice that garter snakes have that sort of pattern too? So situla not the only other time a tessera-type pattern has cropped up.

I've been looking for my midget donkey everywhere. Please don't kick him! And for God's sake, don't breed him with a horse. Wait. Mules are acceptable, but they are hybrids. Good thing they can't reproduce! LOL. 5'7" 278lb? Who are you fooling, Camby? You're 6'5" and I'm guessing 235lb.

There is no doubt many z. situla in the US in collections. And we do not know the history of the original parents of this in corns. I've looked at a dozen pics on the web of situla now. They are very corn-looking. The eye color is only thing in pics I can say is non-corn about them.

Back when the debate ran on about ultra/ultramels a few people indicated they were going to breed gray rats into corns to see if anything mysterious happened. I have not seen results on that but I'm sure there are now people looking to acquire Zamenis situla and breed them to corns to see what happens. It might make someone think they have a stronger case about tesseras but in reality the tessera morph has an unknown history and a breeding like this still does not indicate tesseras came from Z. situla. Yes, Z. situla and Elaphe guttata (or Pantherophis guttatus if you think Collins and gang are correct) are somewhat closely related but showing a gene that works in both does not definitively show anything. I.e. Some of the albino genes in kings and corns can work in both but this does not necessarily indicate that the albino gene in corns must have come from kings or vice versa.

I have to say that even IF you personally caught the corn you can not with 100% accuracy everytime say that none of the wild caught have never been hybridized. They are seeing this in the wild more and more due to loss of habitat. As to mules not being able to breed they have actually proven that if you take a female from a horse donkey cross and breed back to donkeys roughly 50% of the time they do reproduce. I will see if i can dig up the article I found on it if anyone wants me to. There are hybrids in the wild and bred on purpose by man. If nature says they are ok I say cool. Really if hybrids were all that bad I doubt they would live very long.

On a side note, you guys should sell tickets to this show its very funny!

Back