• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hypo truly is a four letter word

Shiari

Blutterer
Some history:

Years ago, I bred a very large anery to a ghost het for amel. I hatched out 19 eggs. All the babies were typical aneries. Nothing hypo looking at all. No snows. And I decided to keep back a single female to breed back to the father.

I expected to get all aneries from the daughter's clutch of 13 eggs. So imagine my surprise/dismay/aggravation when out popped 3 hypo looking babies. And they don't look like your typical ghosts, being much 'cooler' in color, rather than the warmer brown/grays I'm used to.

Photos of the two females as compared to some normal anery siblings.

mFPkf6.jpg

G6NwTE.jpg

a8g29n.jpg

8YqlDU.jpg

NH5E91.jpg

LIPdpd.jpg

So. What sort of hypo am I faced with? It doesn't look like lava. It's definitely not sunkissed. That leaves basically dilute, right?

Ugggggh. I tried so hard to just stick to hypo A, too! XD

When these things showed up my first thought was "Oh gods, Rich was RIGHT!"

Before I retired I was producing animals expressing three, and maybe four of the quasi-known hypo genes. I know I had two strains in my Crimson line that I never was able to figure out. And I still had some more that were popping out that just the time involved to prove them out as being unique was more than I was willing or able to put into it. Just the time and effort involved for me to prove out the Cinder/Ashy line was pretty taxing of my resources.

I can remember bagging up some of the last of the bulk corns to go out during my last year of breeding. I had two clutches that came from my original Motley line, and darn if there weren't some obviously and unusually light colored corns among the normals, quite different from any other hypos I have seen. I thought "OH NO!!". And into the bulk bags they went to be shipped out. Of course, all those lines are dispersed to the four winds now. The guy who bought them all was never really interested in the records I kept, so they eventually went out in the trash.

But thinking about it, wouldn't it have been a real hoot to be selling animals that were het for four or more hypo genes, and let everyone else get hauled off to the booby hatch when their eggs began hatching? :roflmao:

Ugggggh. I tried so hard to just stick to hypo A, too! XD

When these things showed up my first thought was "Oh gods, Rich was RIGHT!"

Oh, BTW, "Type A" Hypo was tainted a LONG time ago. I was producing the Crimson Corns (Hypomelanistic Miami Phase) for quite a long time that I was positive only had the Type A in them. But time and time again, I would breed Crimson to Crimson and get all normal colored animals hatching out of those eggs. The kicker was that I grew up several pairs of those offspring thinking I would get a double combo hypo to hatch out, or maybe even two different looking hypo looking corns but that never did happen. Never had a clue as to what was going on there. And I sold a LOT of Crimson corns over the years.

Honestly I am glad I am out of it. Things were getting enormously complicated even then about what the heck I was hatching out.

I was thinking maybe dilute if you're sure they're not regular hypo.

Yeah, that seems to me to be the most likely answer unless, gods forbid, I have something brand new. Definitely not sunkissed, doesn't look ultra and ultra is unlikely too because the granddam was het for amel, definitely doesn't look like lava either.

If the ghost female builds follicles again next year, I'm going to pair her back to this male. If I get another 18 to 20 eggs with no hypo babies, I can be pretty certain hypo a and ultra are ruled out. Here's a pic of her babies with this male previously. I love that they are both dark-eyed and it thus passed to all their offspring.

Attachments

• sweetcorns-3.jpg
    sweetcorns-3.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 153
Oh, BTW, "Type A" Hypo was tainted a LONG time ago. I was producing the Crimson Corns (Hypomelanistic Miami Phase) for quite a long time that I was positive only had the Type A in them. But time and time again, I would breed Crimson to Crimson and get all normal colored animals hatching out of those eggs.

Noooooooo :face_palm_02:

Well, "good news" for me is that so far most of my projects have been at least hypo-a compatible hypos if they are not all hypo a. My Bansidhe made all ghosts with the ghost granddam of these babies, and I know the hypo carried by my charcoal gal is compatible as well as her dad made hypo babies with that ghost.

Guess I'll have to see if I can find someone to borrow a dilute from in 3 or 4 years and if that pair produces normals I might just have to go cry in a corner forever.

But just think how boring it would be if every egg hatching produced something predictable. I've always told people that egg hatching season was, for me, just like Christmas morning. Every day I would check on the new hatchings and time and time again would see something new that probably had never been seen by human eyes before. There are few things in life you can do where you can get that sort of experience. Cherish the bright side of what you are going through now. Most people have nothing close to what you get to look forward to when the eggs are hatching.

And yes, I do miss that part of it since retiring. Sure there were headaches and heartbreaks, but heck, it if was all pink roses and silver unicorns, everyone would be doing it.

Wise words, Rich. I was very sad to lose my pewter from the sunkissed charcoal that I will probably not attempt to breed again. It took so much out of her this year. I'm left with a single male offspring from that clutch now.

It would probably be exciting to actually have a new hypo type pop up....after the panic XD

It all works out. Just a word of caution if you want to be selling any offspring: Print out a lot of labels that just have question marks on them for a genetic description. Honestly, I think a lot of people are selling animals that are a whole lot more questionable as to the true genetics than they realize. Take any one of the hypo genes and then throw some of the anerythristic cultivars into the mix and you have a real mess then.

But some things just can't be taken all that seriously when you are dealing with Mother Nature. Especially when you try to shove an analog world into digital cubbyholes for identification purposes. Most of what science "knows" is really mostly all theory anyway. So just enjoy the ride and don't be embarrassed to admit that you just don't know something. I worked with this stuff for 30 years and I didn't have a clue about a LOT of what I was doing. But it kept me off of the streets and out of trouble, so I can't complain.

Definitely. I was planning on labeling the normal looking aneries something like anery 50% poss het hypo a, and possibly second hypo type (testing needed).

So, a bit more research into my breeding records and I actually bred Eugene to that ghost two years in a row, totaling 38 offspring. No hypo-types.

I sadly lost Mystery a couple months ago, but still have Myst, the male. And he looks NOTHING like a dilute. He's going through a dark phase similar to my hypo a babies, but his belly checkers are gray and his sheds have absolutely no melanin present.

Myst and Teherun (dilute anery motley, male)

CGNNkG.jpg

whDoYu.jpg

Myst and Ivomun (ghost, male and his uncle)

ssk6Nu.jpg

LMcmxr.jpg

Myst and Too Stupid To Live, Too (anery clutchmate, male, tease-feeder)

lluuRX.jpg

6GtoNA.jpg

ugh. Looks like I need to find a homozygous hypo female to breed Eugene to in order to do a true, final, rule out of hypo A.

Yeah, he's definitely different than all of the others. (Also, I love that dilute anery motley!) It'll be interesting to see what comes out of a hypo pairing with him.

Myst is a very handsome fellow, despite (or because of?) the uncertainty about what, exactly, is going on there with his genetics. And since he's in your collection rather than mine, I can vicariously enjoy following along as you sport it out. Because I'm sure you will.

Beautiful snakes regardless. I feel for you in your stress in determining the genetics and how they turn out. But your sneks are beautiful!

I hatched out only two more mysteries this year, a male and female. Based on how Myst is maturing, I'm 99% certain this is dilute. He shed last week and he still has that 'faded' look of an animal going into blue.

Just a couple pics of Myst, his little brother, and them together showing how much the color has changed.

Attachments

• Myst 9-21-1.jpg
    Myst 9-21-1.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Myst 9-21-3.jpg
    Myst 9-21-3.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 54
  • ME2021-MM-3.jpg
    ME2021-MM-3.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 50
  • ME2021-MM-2.jpg
    ME2021-MM-2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 54
  • myst and mini-myst.jpg
    myst and mini-myst.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 50
Do you think only dilute is at play? (Other than anery, obviously.) I feel like he has more pink than what I feel like I've seen with dilutes.

Do you think only dilute is at play? (Other than anery, obviously.) I feel like he has more pink than what I feel like I've seen with dilutes.

The parents and grandmother don't show unusual coloring, and all the other hypo-types are ruled out so... I guess so? Like, he doesn't quite match. But I have a dilute anery motley to try pairing the dam next year which will give me answers on this front.

If I get nothing but normal aneries I might cry.

Back