• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

13 bucks for 6 pinkies?

JessKeen

So my baby just came today from BHB, she's my first snake so I am a novice at where to get her food. I went to petsmart today and the only option available for pinkies was a tiny box of 6 for 13 bucks. This seems absolutely outrageous to me, I bought it anyway because obviously I needed to have some in the freezer.

Is there a better way? Is this a normal price for pinkies?

My local pet store (LLL Reptiles) in San Diego has live pinkies and fuzzies for $1 each. Frozen are 10 for $6. Bulk buys are even cheaper. I would look around and compare. A store that specializes in reptiles would be a good place to start. Good luck.

Thanks, I know of a couple stores relatively close by that specialize in exotics, I'll call around before I buy again :)

For that much, you should just order a bag of 50 from Big Cheese. Their shipping is very reasonable. You could even add a bag of fuzzies.

I mean, obviously you can't know how big/old my snake is, I just got her today and I would say about 13 inches and bigger around than a pencil, but smaller than a sharpie. I'm just asking the typical baby...if there is such a thing :)

Well, a bag of large pinks is only $10- and 50 fuzzies are $12.50. The worst that could happen is you have to vacuum seal the bag and save them for your next baby! But you can feed double pinks for a while, to use them up, too.

Will my baby use up 50 pinkies before she moves up to fuzzies? Might be a dumb question, sorry. :)

No such thing as a dumb question. Without questions we do not learn.

Probably not. BUT.... Do the math.... You could buy a car with the money your spending on 6 pinkies at a time. Bulk is always better/cheaper. Besides, if you think you're never gonna have a second or third corn.... You're sadly mistaken! ;)

I'd also suggest calling local universities. If they have reptiles, they probably buy in bulk, and you may be able to piggyback on an order and save on shipping.

You could list your extras on craigslist or post asking if anyone wants to go in on an order with you. Likewise if you use facebook, there might be a local reptile group where you could find someone to order with or sell your extras too.

I've already convinced my husband that when my little Aztec (no name yet) outgrows her ten, it would be a perfect time to find ourselves a little bloodred! How long can mice be in the freezer before the snake won't eat them? I'm also a little concerned about how they all seem to be packaged in one big bag when you order them, do you separate them out yourself so that you aren't opening the bag all the time?

Okay so I am planning to get about 30 pinkies and possibly some fuzzies from this guy in about two weeks. He said that he usually sells live but can easily freeze them for me before selling, he doesn't vacuum pack them though he just puts them in a ziplock bag and squeezes the air out. So when I get the mice, how do I store them? Should I separate them into different bags and them put those in containers and freeze them? If I were to split the bags up maybe five mice to a bag so I don't have to open the bags as often, and then squeezed out the air and kept all the bags in an air tight container would that be adequate? This supply would last me for many months so I want to make sure I don't ruin the mice!

If you want them to last a long time, your best bet is to use one of those vacuum sealer machines. Make several small packages, so you'll only have maybe 1-2 months worth "open" at a time. In between feedings, seal it up as best you can with the ziplock/squeeze the air out method. As long as you have a good freezer, they'll last a very long time in a vacuum sealed bag.

It doesn't matter a whole lot if this guy gives you live or frozen when you are getting pinks & fuzzies, as freezing is considered the most humane way to kill them when they are that young anyway, so you could just take live ones home and put them in your freezer. CO2 is used for older ones, but the babies are resistant to CO2 (presumably to keep them from suffocating under their mother).

Another place to look to find feeders is craigslist. Sometime within the past year or 2, at least in this area, I've started seeing a reasonable number of ads for feeders on there.

I just ordered from Mice Direct - they have / had $25 shipping.

I found that even paying for shipping from the online big name rodent breeders, my per mouse price is VERY agreeable.

Just got Veras mice! They look so much better than the petsmart mice, they are bright pink and chubby looking. And he gave me a variety of sizes of pinkies, at my request. I'm so excited to have a source for them that is cheaper and healthier.

I am finding the same thing - that to order and pay shipping is better than gas money, pet-shop mice, and/or reptile show vendors (with gas, admission, travel time, etc...).
The price is so good that I over bought pinkies and fuzzies, and will do the same for hoppers and adult mice now. Buy big and save. Not to waste the animals - the old pinkies and fuzzies are going to be bait for fishing this spring.

Back