• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New name for lighter Miami's??

MysticExotics

(formerly NWHeather)
I have a line of Miami Tessera's that are noticeably lighter than normal Miami Tessera's, and a couple people have commented about it, so I was wondering if I should give them a different name.

It does seem to be something that carries on, to the next generation.

I love both versions, the light and the darker.

I am certain the lighter coloring is from the original female I used in the F1 Miami Tessera project, when I borrowed Tara Smith's SMR Okeetee Tessera.

I have never seen another Miami even close to looking like her. I wish I could find one, she was really pretty. I lost her a few years back.
I have no idea where she came from or how old she was.

I am grateful that I was able to get some babies from her, and that they turned out so awesome!

The first two photos are of the originating Miami Dam.
The third photo is of one of the F1 offspring from 2011 (Brokk). He was one of the lightest, and has always been one of my favorites.

First his baby pic, then as an adult.

Should I name these lighter ones something different?
(Miami-lite?) LOL Cheesy, I know, but I'm wondering if I should distinguish these as different from just Miami Tessera's.

In the next couple posts, I will add more pics, to show the difference in coloring.

I am interested in hearing what others think.

Thank you in advance! :)

Attachments

• 71683_266149_VeryLarge_6HS3es0H3F.jpg
    71683_266149_VeryLarge_6HS3es0H3F.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 71683_266150_VeryLarge_hDy18lfoF7UFHS.jpg
    71683_266150_VeryLarge_hDy18lfoF7UFHS.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 164
  • brokkbaby.jpg
    brokkbaby.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 163
  • brokk.JPG
    brokk.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 71683_386100_Large_tKEdBKC8WYNRQ (1).jpg
    71683_386100_Large_tKEdBKC8WYNRQ (1).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Here are some babies out of the sire, Brokk, the one pictured in the above post. Some are lighter, like he is, some are darker, more normal for Miami Tessera's.

Flint (ME-KAI-15-19M)
Citrine (ME-KAI-15-18)
Topaz (ME-KAI-15-16)
Ametrine (ME-KAI-15-13)

These are after first shed, and they will color up more as they get bigger.
Since I am holding back all of the babies, I can do progression pics to show the difference in color as they get bigger.

I realize it's not as easy to see the difference, as it is in person. I'll try to get better pics soon.

Attachments

• Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0035kai18 (2).jpg
    DSC_0035kai18 (2).jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0032kai16 (2).jpg
    DSC_0032kai16 (2).jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0026kai13 (2).jpg
    DSC_0026kai13 (2).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 164
Here is Kai, the Dam to this years Miami Tessera X Miami Tessera. She is not as light as Brokk.

Next is Sterling, one of her offspring from last year, when she was paired to a Cinder male.
He is a little bigger and showing the darker Miami coloring.
I do not think that she had any light babies like Brokk (she was with a friend of mine last year).

Attachments

• kaia.jpg
    kaia.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 163
  • sterling.jpg
    sterling.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 165
This is one of Brokks female siblings. (Photo from Walter Smith) I sent her to Walter Smith, who found out by accident that there was a hidden Amel gene in there, and he produced Amel Tessera's from her last year.

She is a little lighter than Kai, the Dam to my current babies, but not as light as Brokk.

I do not recall seeing any lighter babies from her.

Attachments

• kai-11-15Twalters.jpg
    kai-11-15Twalters.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 160
I have a dark Miami female from Steve Roylance, that I will be pairing with a couple different Miami Tessera's (Sterling, and Brokk) to see how the babies turn out.
She is het Cinder, so the pairing with Sterling will be a fun one. :)

I also have this pretty Miami from Carol (LBR) that I will be plugging into my Miami Tessera projects when she is big enough. She is ph Amel Motley.

Attachments

• 149624_397424_VeryLarge_VYcNyEfwQTAt.jpg
    149624_397424_VeryLarge_VYcNyEfwQTAt.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0918 (2).JPG
    DSC_0918 (2).JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 158
I think it will be easier to see the difference if I put a lighter and a darker baby together in a pic. I will do that in a couple days, after they digest. (They ate their second meal last night).

Thank you!
What are your thoughts on a new name for the lighter Miami's?
Should I just keep calling them Miami's, or should I pick a new name (a version of Miami)?
They're not a new morph, but they do have a different look to them, and it does carry onto the next generation.

Honestly, I would stick with calling them Miami Tessera, as they are still the same morph. You could add "light" or "dark" phase to distinguish the two as yu have been.
My feeling is that there are so many different morph names out there it gets confusing, even a long time hobbyist (me) ends up having to go see what morph combo is called what on Ian's vivarium all the time. If you were to prove it was a different gene causing the lighter miami, it would be different. Too bad that original female was lost. I kind of feel similar regret on my banded corn original female, I should have never sold her and have eventually managed to recover the look from the one lone male I kept from her offspring. I can't wait to see what that miami from carol adds to your line, gorgeous snake.

Honestly, I would stick with calling them Miami Tessera, as they are still the same morph. You could add "light" or "dark" phase to distinguish the two as yu have been.
My feeling is that there are so many different morph names out there it gets confusing, even a long time hobbyist (me) ends up having to go see what morph combo is called what on Ian's vivarium all the time. If you were to prove it was a different gene causing the lighter miami, it would be different. Too bad that original female was lost. I kind of feel similar regret on my banded corn original female, I should have never sold her and have eventually managed to recover the look from the one lone male I kept from her offspring. I can't wait to see what that miami from carol adds to your line, gorgeous snake.

Thank you, this is the kind of input I was looking for.
There was a comment or two that almost came across that made me think I might need to call them something different, so I wanted to see what others thought.

It's not so much a different gene, as much as maybe a line bred thing.

Thank you, me too! I am really looking forward to future generations! :)

Six years later, and I have still been producing a consistent coloring in my line.
I will unveiling a new line name in the somewhat near future. ;)

Back in the early to mid 2000s I had zombie heads Miami’s. I did sell a candy cane version to Carol back then. I wonder if they are related?

Back in the early to mid 2000s I had zombie heads Miami’s. I did sell a candy cane version to Carol back then. I wonder if they are related?

The original female possibly had zombie head, but none of the babies in my line have that.
I do love the zombie head look though :)

Back