• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Contextual links appearing in posts

I use Firefox Chip but when I used Chrome one time, I found links in words on certain sites I use...
I reported it but no one else could see them... Seems it was google in that case...
Is that similar ??

FWIW, I have been running Firefox and the links are still there. Also, I have now found them on pages that aren't part of CS.com. So it's not the site here, though it's not going to be as simple as swapping browsers. Will tinker and report back.

I do hope that everyone here is running an anti-virus program and a firewall these days.

I know they say Macs can get viruses these days, but it's still a billions times less of a worry than on a PC. And I'm running an AV just in case.

Screenshots

Here are a few screenshots of what I see on my computer. I am using Internet Explorer and Norton Anti-Virus. The word browsers in Chips post is underlined on my screen and a small pop-up appears when I place my cursor on it.

Todd

The last 2 pics show the words Internet Explorer underlined and the pop-up screen.......this happend in my preview screen before I ever posted this post?

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 30
  • screenshot2 .jpg
    screenshot2 .jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 30
  • screenshot3 .jpg
    screenshot3 .jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 30
  • screenshot4.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 30
  • screenshot5.jpg
    screenshot5.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 30
Thanks, that's exactly what I am dealing with and was having a hard time capturing. It isn't site or browser related. CCleaner couldn't find anything, nor could Avast, Ad Sweep, or MalWare Bytes.

I'm also curious about what would happen if you DLed Safari, and didn't transfer any stuff from IE, if it even asks you to. Actually, I'd totally remove all your browsers, and then run CCleaner, and then DL Safari.

All extensions and tool bars are removed, I think. I've uninstalled and re-installed chrome and Firefox (I know, I just like what is familiar). If this doesn't fix it, I will do it all again, and learn a new browser. So far, at least all the links that were on this page are gone now...

I had this exact same thing. It's a browser add-on. Get rid of ALL add ons and extensions, as well as extra tool and search bars, anythings that's added or can be disabled for your browser. If this clears it up, activate them one by one until you get the issue again and you'll then learn which thing is doing this. I had a coupon finder do this to me once that I didn't even know I had installed, as well as something that claimed to be a google addon that did this as well. In all I ended up at different times with this issue like 5-6 times. It's definately something that was added to the browser stuff, probably unknowingly.

if you have a google acct, such as 'when you are signed in to google', And using chrome (but may quite likely work with other browsers), then those links appear on the posts.

Try signing out from google,
though you may have checked off the option to be automatically signed in to google,
then you'll maybe need to get into your computer (or phone's, or iPad's, or whatever) settings.

I don't use add-ons. 350+ malware tracking cookies per day is enough.

Those are definitely not google ads. I signed in to chrome and can't see anything (that will be my first and last time doing that nonetheless).

It's either malware or a plugin that you may or may not have realized you let install. Here are a couple of suggestions for anyone having this issue.

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1075516-yellowmoxie.html
http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/778638

Looks like a bit of a mess.

You always have to run antivirus and anti-malware software, but even more important you have to stay away from garbage online and pay close attention when installing stuff. You should almost always choose the "advanced" options when installing things cause everyone wants to put commercial crap on your system and it's easy to get your "consent". If you do all of those things religiously, you might be able to avoid these issues and worse. But it's not that hard to avoid 95% of it with a little care.

It's not a Chrome issue, as the same ads ran on IE and Firefox as well. I uninstalled every plugin and extension and it appears to be fixed. I wish I had caught which one did it, but I am okay with just running without them.

how to make a screen capture
(since my last post on this thread was useless)
hit the 'screen capture' key
on my keyboard its a key in the upper right area
that says PrtScn
it's just to the right of F12.

Open Paint, photoshop, etc. Any image editing program. There's probably one on your computer. It is often found under Accessories from the start menu. You may need to click "show all programs" after clicking "Start".

Now that your image prog is open,
and a new canvas is in view,
click "Edit>Paste" from the toolbar at the top.

Next, select File: "Save As".
Using the new dialog box which pops up on the screen:
Give it an Image Name,
Next, click : "File: Save as:" Using the dropdown box below the area where you gave it an image name,
save as it a "jpg/jpeg" extension/file.

Then you can upload the screen capture wherever.
I know this sounds like a lot of stuff to do, but after you practice a few times and get it down, it's a method of saving what was said quickly and efficiently.

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 45
Back