• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"C" Anerythristic

Rich Z said:
Hah! Maybe I will use "Ball Python rule of thumb" pricing on these things. :sidestep:

Hey, that's OK by me. Looks like I cheated and got my hands on some... So what is that rule of thumb? An automatic $20,000 for anything new? :)

*Makes note to self-"line bred anything that comes from Rich Z- almost all of them carry something cool".*

The sad truth is that a BONAFIDE brand new gene (not just something that looks slightly different) in a ball python would bring $50,000 or more. I look at it and think, "Sheesh, it's JUST a ball python!". But in a corn snake, the same gene would be struggling to get $1,000 for it. Because most people would look at it and think "Sheesh, it's JUST a corn snake!".

Go figure..... :shrugs:

hehe---don't you americans complain for a second about new morphs costing a lot over there...we have to wait an extra couple of years for them over here AND pay even more than you :rolleyes:

Rich,
When I want to photograph bellies, I put the snake on my glass coffee table and put a box over the top and then put the camera underneath the table an snap pointing upwards. You don't have to worry about the snake going anywhere because the bowl/box over it makes it feel confined so it just sits still and you can snap away.

If anyone but you(Rich) posted these pics...everyone would be crying hybrid. I guess carol knows that......thats what happened to her when she posted pics of her animal.

LukeH
:flames:

Yeah. If I saw one of these out in the wild, I would be a bit confused about what they really are. I guess there is always a possibility that the guy from the Florida Keys was lying to me, but if so, what was it a hybrid with that just happened to be carrying a (tentatively) new gene in it? Further, if any of you have ever worked with some of the Upper Keys Corns, you would have noticed that they are a bit different from the run of the mill corn snake anyway.

Ya, and I think mine are under fire a bit more because they have some weird patterns and high saddle counts going on. :shrugs:

Sorry
now I get what you are talking about
I kind of got a bit of confused when I was reading the anery breeding (the silver queen and the charcoal ghost) and then got my head spinning a bit

Best of luck with finding the new anery c gene

nice lookin snake!

well I hope it is something new Rich!I know you are really busy but if you get a chance can you post some of the results that you got from your goldust breedings that you did last year? i would love to see them,as far as that goes I would love to see anything different that you might post (lol) its been awhile, and I have been checking on here periodically to see if you have made any posts cause man they just encourage me to breed more stuff! :cheers: :shrugs:

Taking photos of eggs gets to be pretty boring after a while. I'm not expecting eggs to start hatching until late June. Hopefully I've have one or two things noteworthy enough to take photos off when the babies pop out.

Hello, been hovering around the forum for a while, this is a new account. anyways....
I have a question or a thought: These animals have a lot of red, more than a typical anery, but less than a normal of course. Wouldn't this animal work as a hypoerythristic as opposed to anerythristic (meaning no red). I realize that these terms aren't used as concrete definitions of the animal, I'm just kind of interested in word meanings and origins.
Anyhow, great looking snakes Rich.

Well I certainly can't argue with your logic! But honestly, if and when I prove pretty much conclusively that this is a new gene, then I will try to come up with a more generic sounding name anyway. Something that most people in the world will be able to pronounce without apologizing beforehand for their attempt.... :)

Very true. I can spell anerythristic never claimed to be much good at saying it.
I guess I was also interested in the possibility of a non-melanistic hypo. You guys have come a long way from the original red albinos and black albinos, and I'm certain that the cornsnake genetic variation wall is not in sight yet.
Back on topic: Well till your tests prove out we'll all have to wait and see what more tangles will be woven into the mix.

Here's a photo of the original Upper Keys female that the "C" Anerythristics came from.
upperkeys_c.jpg

I bred her with the two "C" anery males I have. Fortunately they both appear to be fertile studs, as all of the females I bred with them this year have produced viable eggs. Actually this is rather lucky, as I don't have real good luck with first year breeder males.

Hi, I'm rather confused about how an anery can have red saddles. I'm a noob to the genetics side of things, TBH I've only read serpwidgets website guide, but I'm pretty sure that the prefix AN = lack of, and that ERYTHRISTIC = ERYTHRIN. So no red pigment is produced.
I can't understand why there would be an exception, can someone set me straight? :shrugs:

For right now, we don't know what it is. But for lack of knowing what else to classify it in, anery is the closest classification that anyone can come up with. Yes you are right...anery typically means no red.

Ahh OK, gotcha. Another question though, how would you go about trying to find out if it is a new gene? :shrugs:

Hey Rich,

Any update on your test breedings? Sorry if this info is posted somewhere else. If it is can someone post a link?

Thanks,
~Jeff C.

Yeah, I guess an answer here would be appropriate.

I bred two adult male 'C' Anerythristics to several Charcoal Ghost and Silver Queen Ghost females this year. In all occasions, the hatchlings turned out to be either normal or Hypomelanistic. No exceptions. I think this is pretty strong evidence that the type 'C' Anerythristic is truly a new gene and not compatible with type 'A' Anerythrism nor Charcoal.

Attached is a photo of some 'C' Anerythristics that hatched this season.

Attachments

• canery_05_001.jpg
    canery_05_001.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 154
Hey Rich..

Sorry, didn't mean to butt in :rolleyes:

I just remember seeing the response from you I linked and went...whoa :) .

Back