• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Contextual links appearing in posts

Chip

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
I have been noticing contextual links showing up in typed posts for various keywords. These links seem to go to affiliate websites. The problem is, CS.com does not authorize them, they are clearly going to sites that we are not an affiliate of. It annoys me, because I'm used to being able to click on a link in a post b/c I know the poster put it in. These people are at best stealing traffic. Browser is Chrome and I'm running every ad block app and extension. I haven't seen it elsewhere, but I haven't been online a ton. Anyone else noticing this?

I haven't seen it. And as far as I know, my programmer hasn't implemented any new code here for something of that nature.

It may be something on my end, in my browser maybe. It will be right in the text of a post. A word or phrase will be hyperlinked to a page that the user didn't embed. They seem to come from Sortfly.com if that helps. Tinkering with Ad Black Plus, but it seems to make the whole word go away when I report it as an unwanted ad.

It may be something on my end, in my browser maybe. It will be right in the text of a post. A word or phrase will be hyperlinked to a page that the user didn't embed. They seem to come from Sortfly.com if that helps. Tinkering with Ad Black Plus, but it seems to make the whole word go away when I report it as an unwanted ad.

Chip that is in your system for sure.

Seems like you have something fruity in your loops.

Download this: Malwarebytes The free version is fine. Perform a full scan and follow the steps it gives you. Generally a full scan will take an hour or so.

Also check here: contextual links appearing on pages

Chip, I have the same thing going on. Some words will be underlined and are links to unrelated websites. The words "Google ads" on Nanci's post has one that says Savings Sidekick when I place my mouse on the word and if I click it it takes me to Sortfly. Let us know if the fix BloodyBaroness posted works for you.

Todd

DLing and running the program. The other link was like the guy was reading my mind! ;) I am having this bug, though. Blocking them makes the whole word or phrase in the text go away. This is so weird.

Update, scan completed, no malicious items found.

I'll try to type something now that would create a link. I want a good deal on heat tape. And hotels. And tennis shoes. At bargains. That should do it.

Edit: Not seeing any links, there. I tinkered in Ad Sweep and Ad Block Plus, and restarted my browser. Maybe it's behind me. TS, you seeing it still?

Chip, still have the one in Nanci's post....none in your last post...I will try it also...

I want a good deal on heat tape. And hotels. And tennis shoes. At bargains. That should do it.

Well...when I was posting this I went down to your post in Topic Review to do a copy on you text and there is links on "hotels" and on "completed"...??

Todd

Are you also using Google Chrome? Seeing it anywhere else?

It could be a browser plugin that you authorized. You can try disabling plugins / add-ons. Or try another browser that might not have it installed. If it is actual malware you could also try spybot search and destroy.

What is the url that it wants to take you to? Or if you can't tell, what is the destination or path when you click?

Chip, I have the same thing going on. Some words will be underlined and are links to unrelated websites. The words "Google ads" on Nanci's post has one that says Savings Sidekick when I place my mouse on the word and if I click it it takes me to Sortfly. Let us know if the fix BloodyBaroness posted works for you.

Todd

On my Mac, the words Google Ads do nothing. I'll try to remember at work- if anything's infected, it'd be my work computer.

OMG...Let's see- Google's (lame) browser, Google links. How can you even stand Chrome? I used it for like ten minutes.

Firefox was crashing like crazy a few months back and I tried it. Nothing about it really bothered me, and it syncs everything up nicely. I'm not married to it or anything, and would gladly go back to another browser. I hate how Google tracks you anyway.

I'll give 'em a whirl. At the moment, Chrome is being nice.

I've tried alternate browsers a while back but there is one function in IE that I just cannot live without. That is the ability to save a URL to my desktop with just a right click. I use that CONSTANTLY when I am searching for things on the net.

Maybe other browsers have implemented that by now?

I seem to remember reading that some ISPs are now injecting stuff like this into your web pages. Is it happening on other sites as well?

There's nothing like that happening on my PC - have tried both IE and Firefox.

Back