• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

We are being spammed by mojufgvghs

Ah. I still wouldn't suspect they make many sales that way. Certainly doesn't look legit.

I don't understand this type of spam. It wasn't even advertisements as much as a series of words and sentences. A couple of them almost told a story.

Spam is mostly now a form of cyber warfare. The countries originating most of the spam are simply trying to disrupt USA websites of all types. And I'm sure that in some instances people who have a chip on their shoulder about a site can initiate this sort of activity in some fashion. Sort of a mini denial of service attack.

The reason you haven't seen much spam here in the past is because I was auditing all new registrations before they would be allowed to post on this site. I had to curtail this when Connie and I went away for a week to a place with very limited internet access. When we got back, it didn't appear to be much of a problem with spammers on this site (on the other hand, FaunaClassifieds is getting at least 50 spammers every day), so I decided to leave it as it is and see how it goes. If it gets to be a problem, then I will resume the new registration audits again.

Thanks Rich! I see a Hamiltion11 was also banned, another spammer? I haven't been on since last night, so he must have started after I logged off.

That kind of spam is intended to boost a site's "SEO rankings". It doesn't really work much these days, but it used to. It's completely automated and wasn't done very well. Lots of vbulletin forums are big targets, some are not. There are some techniques to block this sort of thing, but it's never 100%. I've been impressed at how clean this site is.

Back