• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

No Heater??

ken347

Corn Addict In Training
so i have always had my snake in a tank with a light because i just preferred the light well now i was kinda leaning towards a tub and ive had one on the side just in case. im especially considering it because since its so hot now between spring and summer the tank is reaching anywhere from 90 to 95 degrees which is why my snake is always as far as possible away from the light. i do shut the light off occasionally but it still only goes down till about 90 is there anyway i can switch him to a tub and let him go without a uth until it gets colder in which than i will get a uth.

It's 90-95 in your house? You're lucky your snake is okay. I'd put his viv down on the floor in the coolest room and not use heat until the ambient temp is 75 or lower at night.

my room is yes. my room is always extra hot i have one colder corner which is nowhere near any windows i want to put him there but he is in a 55 gallon tank which does not fit in that corner can i use just a tub without a heater? im attempting to get the temp atleast down to 80-85 with fans

Dude, not to doubt you, but are you sure? If a corn is kept at 95 and can't get away from it, it isn't living long.

That's WAY too hot. I'm hoping for everyone's sake that your thermometer isn't accurate. You need to turn off the light and leave it off. Also, be sure that your snake has a water bowl big enough for him to get into. They'll usually soak or swim to help moderate their temperature when they're overheated - and 90-95 is definitely overheated for a corn snake. Change the water daily, preferably at the hottest part of the afternoon if you're home then. Don't put out and out cold water in there, but cool water - say 70-75 degrees would be good.

To answer your question about the tub, yes you may put the snake in that tub without a heater if the room is as warm as you're reporting. The purpose of a heater is to allow the snake to be warm when it needs/chooses to be warm. When the ambient temperatures are high there's not any need to supply a heat source.

By the way, it's great that you're asking questions and trying to make sure your snake is healthy.

ive always had a big water dish as far to the left as possible the light is all the way on the right right now hes laying in a shady spot beneth some leaves next to the water dish.

I'm certain he'll be happier in a cooler spot. Just be sure that the new viv/tub is escape proof. They often try harder to get out following a move because they are discombobulated by having moved; they don't feel like they're safe because their former safe hides have disappeared.

Get an IRL thermometer. Not to toot my own horn, but that's the best advice you'll get all thread. ;) I applaud you for coming here to learn, I don't mean to be curt with you. But you need a good thermometer!

I agree that lights are not needed for a corn, UTH is all they require, ideally regulated to turn on and off when needed. If your room is 95 degrees+ for more than a few hours, you will lose most of the reptiles in the room. Ask me how I know. You need an accurate thermometer above all. From there, I would suggest an Under Tank Heater (UTH) and thermostat. But first and foremost, you need an accurate instant thermometer. This is my favorite for under 50 bucks: http://www.reptilebasics.com/412l-thermometer
This one gets spotty ratings but some people love it:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/TG-1
Your hot zone can go far beyond 95, in a large area with a good gradient, but in a glass tank, that's just too hot for our corns. An accurate thermometer to pop the warm and cool sides will make all the difference! They can be found on Ebay, etc., I just find the 412L to be perfect -and comes in handy for many other applications. I wish ya luck!

ill get a new one i actually have the first thermometer on the reptile basic website the 8.99 one

A fan isn't going to help. Fans cool humans and other animals who sweat by making sweat evaporate. It doesn't cool the actual air temperature.

Something you could do though is get a couple good quality ice packs and alternate them- giving him a new one each day while the other one refreezes.

i actually have a few in my mini fridge i could give him. im switching him to the tub today i just have to get the screws to build the rack

Does the tub actually have to go in a rack to stay closed? I know that some do. If not, your snake would probably be cooler with the tub sitting on the actual floor rather than in a rack.

the tub kinda warped i guess so even with the lid locked it still has a few weak spots.

It might be better to buy a new tub rather than use a sketchy one. Snakes are notorious for escaping from tubs.

this tub is maybe a few months old never been used its only the sides that are a little loose a hatchling could escape easily but hes full grown

Ooh, I'd really hesitate about one that doesn't seal well. You MIGHT be able to tie something like a rope or a scarf around the whole bin if there's a possibility that the snake might get out. You MIGHT try locking it down with something like binder clips. It would be safer to head to a dollar store/Target/Wal-Mart/etc. and get something new that seals with a lock. Cost would be negligible and usually if they can get out, they do.

Back