• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Melanistic Corn

nmoore601

Cloud 9 Corns
Has any seen or heard of a true melanistic corn? Does anyone have any pictures of some truly black or really dark corns?

Doug (DMong on here) once had a miami with some interesting black patches. Sort of looked like the opposite of a piebald corn (black areas instead of white). He has a pic or two, but I don't recall if he's posted it here or not.

I've heard some grumbling that perhaps these are hybrids... based on head shape and quite prominent supraoccular scales. Personally, I'd feel more confident that they are pure corn if the breeder would share photos of the parents and especially of all of the other hatchlings from the clutch. Whether or not they are hybrids, black corns could be really fun:)

A friend was showing me that video at a recent expo and my first reaction was "It kinda looks like a hybrid". I believe it was a crimson x crimson pairing and even if it is melanistic I'm not seeing much if any hypo in that.

The video I saw said that both parents were Miami phase het hypo. He points out that the rest of he clutch were Miami’s and some crimsons.
I agree, I would like to see some good photos of the parents and siblings.

Every single time a possible new gene pops up in the hobby people yell Hybrid regardless of the provenance of the animal. It seems to be some type of hazing process that the corn snake community has decided everyone must be subjected to in order to be accepted.
At this point in the game I don't know whether it matters really. We have so many hybrids already muddying the genetic waters. I doubt there are many "pure" corn snakes left for comparison within the hobby population. Consider how many Ultramel, Creamsicle or Het scaleless "corn snakes" have been dumped in the gene pool without being labelled as such. Kind of tough to get all fussed about an animal being a hybrid with that stuff already accepted as family.
I guess it's interesting to know the backstory regardless. I'd love to see Florian test the animals for Cinder (commonly found mixed in the Miami lines) and Diffused (based on the odd side patterns and clear belly of the hatchling). I hope it is a new gene to play with though. We get so few of those and the discovery seems to take forever. lol
I wish him luck.
Terri

Personally, I'm fine with mutations being imported from other species. I have plenty of Ultra lurking in my collection. Of course, we have no idea if that is the case here or not. However, Florian is a professional breeder who does this for a living (for profit). Eventually he will sell some of his melanistic corns, and the price will no doubt be significantly affected by whether or not the community thinks his snakes are hybrids. IMO, being transparent, and sharing photos of the parents and siblings can only help him establish his case, and I hope he decides to do so.

Back