• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2009 Yahoo - Pro Football Pickem - Contest - Prizes

BTW, the reason I think the Cowboy's get hated on so much is that their all sizzle and no steak. Their far less relevant than the Arizona Cardinals in actuality yet they get love like no other team. It makes no sense?!.

Cardinals are more "RELEVANT"? What does that mean??? I'm a Cowboy fan (with the Broncos coming a close second), and find that statement just... weird. Relevant??? PLEASE show me how the Cards are more "RELEVANT" than anyone? Besides last year, they were "cellar dwellers" since the dinosaurs walked the earth and the Dead Sea was only sick.

So, please explain "relevant" to me... I just don't get it.

PLUS, I'm not an "Arizonan" (not "Arizonian"). I'm a TEXAN who just happens to live in AZ! LOL.

This is coming from someone who conveniently pics the Pats and the Steelers as his "teams"... while his FAVORITE team - the Ravens - languishes...

Cardinals are more "RELEVANT"? What does that mean??? I'm a Cowboy fan (with the Broncos coming a close second), and find that statement just... weird. Relevant??? PLEASE show me how the Cards are more "RELEVANT" than anyone? Besides last year, they were "cellar dwellers" since the dinosaurs walked the earth and the Dead Sea was only sick.

So, please explain "relevant" to me... I just don't get it.
I didn't realize you were a Cowboy fan, so I don't mean this to trash them, but I just mean relevant in football terms. The Cowboy's always start the season as NFC favorites yet they haven't won a playoff game since 96'. They're not relevant, because they don't win the big ones; the games that matter. I will be very surprised if they even make the playoffs this year, but they still won't win a game even if they do. The Cardinals on the other hand will make the playoffs, and yet they will still be overlooked to teams that aren't on their level. Makes no sense!. It's like a popularity contest, when it should just be a football contest?!.

This is coming from someone who conveniently pics the Pats and the Steelers as his "teams"... while his FAVORITE team - the Ravens - languishes...
I just like the teams the Patriots and Steelers have assembled. If they change next year, so will my opinion on them. I just like the talent they have, combined with the structure they have built around them. They seem like they will be the two most successful teams this year, but I do root for the Ravens. I just love their team, regardless of talent. Joe Flacco is a cool person, their defense is exciting, and they just have a certain demeanor that I prefer to other teams. I've always liked the Ravens, I just don't know how ready they are to take that next step. That all changes if they can manage to get Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin. Then they'll be the actual best team in football, but until then their just the team I love, but don't trust!.

The Ravens are not languishing... they made it pretty far into the post season last year, a HUGE turn around for a team that was 3 and 13 the year before, and starting a rookie QB from a tiny college! We have a lot of potential and work best when flying under the radar.

I root for several teams, the Cowboys included, but the Ravens are my number one. I try my hardest to avoid insulting teams I do not like and am always appreciative when others do the same.....

I will be very surprised if they even make the playoffs this year, but they still won't win a game even if they do. The Cardinals on the other hand will make the playoffs, and yet they will still be overlooked to teams that aren't on their level. They seem like they will be the two most successful teams this year....

It's not even the regular season yet, and a lot of crap can happen to a team in four weeks, not to mention the four months between regular season openers and the Super Bowl.

but I do root for the Ravens. I just love their team, regardless of talent. Joe Flacco is a cool person, their defense is exciting, and they just have a certain demeanor that I prefer to other teams. I've always liked the Ravens, I just don't know how ready they are to take that next step. That all changes if they can manage to get Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin. Then they'll be the actual best team in football, but until then their just the team I love, but don't trust!.

So you are a fair weather fan, in other words?? :sidestep:

Teams I root for: #1, the Ravens. I have only ever rooted against them one time, and that was during our 3 and 13 season when we played the winless Dolphins. I wore my 'phins Jersey that day and rooted for Miami. Our season was toast already, and in the years prior to the Ravens arrival in B-more I was a Dolphins fan, so I could not stand to see my former love go winless.

In addition to the Ravens, I will root for the 'phins, the Cowboys (in honor of my Grandpa, who died in '87 and was a huge Cowboy's fan!), and the Texans. The Texans are probably my 2nd favorite team at the moment.

Tara thinks it's funny, watching me watch games where I have no interests... I still pick a favorite to root for. :)

I do not like the Steelers. Actually, scratch that... it's not the team. It's their FANS. The Steelers fans I have met in Baltimore and elsewhere have by and large been the most obnoxious, ridiculous people I have ever met. I have one friend who is actually quite classy and is a Steelers fan. We get along well, even when our teams meet. The rest of the Steelers fans I interact with on a regular basis are idiots.

I am also not a fan of New England... and again, it's not the team... it's their coach. The man is a grubby, cheating jerk with a tendency to run up the score. He is prone to unsportsmanlike conduct and seems not to discourage this in his team.

I have inherited a dislike of the Colts from my father and grandfather. When the Colts left Baltimore, it hurt my grandfather so much that he walked away from the game. He hardly watches any games anymore, and this from a man who used to be front and center for every single Colts game. My father has retained a bitter hatred for the Colts, and in fact dislikes them more than our rival Steelers. I root particularly hard for the Ravens when they play the Colts but have no real opinion of them other than that. I do not like Peyton Manning, or Eli Manning for that matter. I think they are whiny brats and listening to them talk irritates me.

As far as a team I can't stand to see a single win from... doesn't exist. Most years the Ravens and Steelers split down the middle and I am okay with that, though I do enjoy years where we manage to pull off two wins.

I am loyal to the Ravens beyond life itself. I will remain a Ravens fan until the day they pry my purple, dripping heart from my chest. No matter what.

Lauren... I was only saying that line in response to Ricky's post... just to make a point. I think you've seen most of my posts... I really don't go out of my way to P.O anyone. LOL.

I'll agree with Ricky to an extent about the recent Cowboys not winning "the big ones". BUT, in terms of the Cards... I DO hope they do well, but to say that they'll "definitely make the playoffs" we don't really know that. They BARELY made it last year... for a few games, they were playing above EVERYBODY. I don't think lightning will strike twice in the same spot. They represented the worst Division in the League last year.

The Colts and Peyton were "famous" for not winning the big one... UNTIL they won THE big one. Could happen for Dallas.

I've met Kurt Warner numerous times and indeed hope that the Cards do well. It would be GREAT to shake his hand again and know that he's won his second SB ring. He deserves it. However, it is a long season and anyone can win.

As for the Ravens being the best team if they get either of those two players... (I've lost a lot of respect for Anquan) C'mon. Right now the Steelers are/will be the best team until another team shows them up. They're the only ones with bragging rights right now. Saying that the Ravens are the best team in the NFL is like a Buffalo Bill fan saying they're "the best team" now that they've got TO. Please...

Just because you post something you feel emotionally as if it were fact, (ie. "Then they'll be the actual best team in football") DOESN'T make it so. LOL.

The Ravens are not languishing... they made it pretty far into the post season last year, a HUGE turn around for a team that was 3 and 13 the year before, and starting a rookie QB from a tiny college! We have a lot of potential and work best when flying under the radar.

I root for several teams, the Cowboys included, but the Ravens are my number one. I try my hardest to avoid insulting teams I do not like and am always appreciative when others do the same.....
I definitely agree about the Ravens not "languishing". I was on the Joe Flacco band wagon from the very beginning, and even though I love Troy Smith, I was ecstatic when they drafted Flacco. He's fast, amazing arming, smart, calm, and HUGE!. In the long run he will be very great!.

As for trash-talking teams, as long as it doesn't get ridiculous, I say that's just football. What I said about the Cowboys is true; they haven't won a playoff game in 13 years. Besides, they get enough love as it is already. What they need is a little bit of a wake up call. Their fans deserve better than the consistent under achieving they've come up with for the past decade!.

It's not even the regular season yet, and a lot of crap can happen to a team in four weeks, not to mention the four months between regular season openers and the Super Bowl.
Absolutely, but the NFC East is stacked this year. It's going to take the Cowboys playing twice as well as they did last year to have a chance, and their team isn't much better than it was. Still, it's not impossible for the Lions to make the playoffs, but for the most part surprise teams get weeded out in the first few playoff rounds anyway!.

So you are a fair weather fan, in other words?? :sidestep:
No, trust me I love the Ravens. Do or die, sink or swim I'll still be watching as many games as possible. I just enjoy watching them, but I don't know if their WR's are good enough, and they took a huge blow losing Bart Scott and even their Safety Jim Leonhard. I think their as fit as any to make it to the conference championship, but if they face a healthy Patriots team I just don't know. I will be pulling for them none the less - GO RAVENS!!!.

They represented the worst Division in the League last year.

As for the Ravens being the best team if they get either of those two players... (I've lost a lot of respect for Anquan) C'mon. Right now the Steelers are/will be the best team until another team shows them up. They're the only ones with bragging rights right now. Saying that the Ravens are the best team in the NFL is like a Buffalo Bill fan saying they're "the best team" now that they've got TO. Please...

Your first point is also a good one. The division the cards are in stank last year... but I also wish there were more West Coast teams for them to play. It's hard on the players to travel back to the East and play well, with the time zone changes. If there were more teams out west, we might see a better representation from that division.

I actually prefer the Ravens to be playing from 2nd place in our division. We play better as the underdogs (so does VT for that matter) than we do when favored. Not sure why that is...

We have a lot of young talent. We have a young coach who seems to have his head bolted on straight. We gave the Steelers a run for their money last year and barring unforseen injuries, we will this year too. I wish we had better, younger receivers. That is one area I think we are weak in that we never seem to fill. Ozzy Newsome can pick defensive talent like magic... but offense seems to elude him.

Lauren... I was only saying that line in response to Ricky's post... just to make a point. I think you've seen most of my posts... I really don't go out of my way to P.O anyone. LOL.

I'll agree with Ricky to an extent about the recent Cowboys not winning "the big ones". BUT, in terms of the Cards... I DO hope they do well, but to say that they'll "definitely make the playoffs" we don't really know that. They BARELY made it last year... for a few games, they were playing above EVERYBODY. I don't think lightning will strike twice in the same spot. They represented the worst Division in the League last year.

The Colts and Peyton were "famous" for not winning the big one... UNTIL they won THE big one. Could happen for Dallas.

I've met Kurt Warner numerous times and indeed hope that the Cards do well. It would be GREAT to shake his hand again and know that he's won his second SB ring. He deserves it. However, it is a long season and anyone can win.

Just because you post something you feel emotionally as if it were fact, (ie. "Then they'll be the actual best team in football") DOESN'T make it so. LOL.
Your right. It's not a definite the Cardinals will make the playoffs, but they are better than they were last year IMO. BTW, why don't you like Anquan. I know he has contract issues, but he does deserve to be paid like a top reciever. He's one of the top 5 in the game, and he may have another 100 catch season this season. He's just unstoppable, especially with Fitzgerald on the other side. Also, the addition of Chris "Beanie" Wells is just incredible. He fell so far in the draft, and I think he'll be a modern day Jamal Lewis, which is perfect for a pass-happy offense. As for the Bills, they aren't very talented outside of a few guy's, and Anquan doesn't come with the same baggage as TO. If he get's paid he will perform, and unlike TO all of Anquan's teammates love him. Even Kurt Warner is going to bat for him, so you know he's important.

No, trust me I love the Ravens. Do or die, sink or swim I'll still be watching as many games as possible. I just enjoy watching them, but I don't know if their WR's are good enough, and they took a huge blow losing Bart Scott and even their Safety Jim Leonhard. I think their as fit as any to make it to the conference championship, but if they face a healthy Patriots team I just don't know. I will be pulling for them none the less - GO RAVENS!!!.

Jim Leonhard was a blow, but I disagree with Scott. He was good and has been great, but he looked bad last year. He was slow, and wasn't giving his all to his team. He needed to go, and I did not mourn his leaving.

Leonhard I may have shed tears over. Hell, I liked Leonhard so much I named one of our snakes after him.

Your first point is also a good one. The division the cards are in stank last year... but I also wish there were more West Coast teams for them to play. It's hard on the players to travel back to the East and play well, with the time zone changes. If there were more teams out west, we might see a better representation from that division.
Yeah... but just remember the Rams and the 49ers had their heyday and Seattle enjoyed some success last decade. Everything runs its route and every dog has its day. LOL. I just hope they're not a "one hit wonder".

I actually prefer the Ravens to be playing from 2nd place in our division. We play better as the underdogs (so does VT for that matter) than we do when favored. Not sure why that is...
I think being the underdog gives teams an incentive... while being favored gives teams a lack of urgency. Cowboys as an example. They're favored again this year... why, I don't know based on past recent history. My bet is they'll come out roaring again to PROVE that they should be favored... then, when other teams are trying to PROVE that they should be in the playoffs, Dallas' wind will have run out and they'll have that "lack of urgency". Happens with lots of teams... Dallas Mavs/Phoenix Suns/et al.

Ozzy Newsome can pick defensive talent like magic... but offense seems to elude him.
Isn't that weird since he was an OFFENSIVE player (TE). Doesn't make sense to me.

We have a lot of young talent. We have a young coach who seems to have his head bolted on straight. We gave the Steelers a run for their money last year and barring unforseen injuries, we will this year too. I wish we had better, younger receivers. That is one area I think we are weak in that we never seem to fill. Ozzy Newsome can pick defensive talent like magic... but offense seems to elude him.
Well put!!. I love Ozzie Newsome. He's just the best GM in all of sports. Michael Oher this year was just unbelievable, and he always drafts defensive stars. They just need one more WR to make that offense work, especially in the AFC North where their are only a handful of good CB's!. Two guy's to look out for this year on the Ravens are WR Marcus Smith, and CB Lardarius Webb. Webb could be another one of thos unbelievable picks, and I guess Smith is performing exceedingly while in practice and camp.

Jim Leonhard was a blow, but I disagree with Scott. He was good and has been great, but he looked bad last year. He was slow, and wasn't giving his all to his team. He needed to go, and I did not mourn his leaving.

Leonhard I may have shed tears over. Hell, I liked Leonhard so much I named one of our snakes after him.
I see where your coming from on Scott. It's almost just as exciting to see who replaces him. They drafted a player last year, Tavares Gooden who could be real good. I'm almost thought they were even going to draft Rey Maualuga this year, though I prefer what they did getting Oher. He's not Jon Ogden, but he will be the perfect lineman for Flacco and their 3 great running backs. As for Leonhard, that guy is so fast. He just destroys people, and is a great returner. I wish they would have pushes a little harder to retain him, but maybe they have someone else who they like more. Still, great player, and very clutch!.

Your right. It's not a definite the Cardinals will make the playoffs, but they are better than they were last year IMO. BTW, why don't you like Anquan. I know he has contract issues, but he does deserve to be paid like a top reciever. He's one of the top 5 in the game, and he may have another 100 catch season this season. He's just unstoppable, especially with Fitzgerald on the other side. Also, the addition of Chris "Beanie" Wells is just incredible. He fell so far in the draft, and I think he'll be a modern day Jamal Lewis, which is perfect for a pass-happy offense. As for the Bills, they aren't very talented outside of a few guy's, and Anquan doesn't come with the same baggage as TO. If he get's paid he will perform, and unlike TO all of Anquan's teammates love him. Even Kurt Warner is going to bat for him, so you know he's important.
LOL... We're running all over here as we respond to each other! After this, I'm gonna take a break!

It isn't that I don't like Anquan... I do! He's got a pretty decent team around him and as you said, with Fitzgerald on the other side, he's a MONSTER... I DO AGREE that he should be paid what he's worth... BUT, he's got something good going here... Together, they might well make another miracle run! But, instead of thinking of the TEAM first, he's gotta make his buck... and that disappoints me.

You ever have a favorite TV show? The characters are great, the rapport is great and the show looks like it can really last. BUT, one of the main actors decides, "I'm not making enough... I need more money" and leaves. Then the whole show flops and you barely hear about that actor again.

Same here. Why not give it one more season. I know he could get injured, but isn't being a CHAMPION worth that risk? TO as an example... if he could have just SHUT HIS MOUTH he could have stayed in Dallas and been favored (right or wrong) as a SB contender. Instead, he runs off with the mouth, puts himself first and, as a consequence, gets cut. Do you think Buffalo has a better chance at the SB than Dallas does?? Nope... For all intents and purposes, TO's career may be OVER...

Nothing's ever about TEAM anymore... everyone just wants what they can get. That's why I loved the Elway Broncos the times they won their SB... Elway took a pay cut :eek: to sign Neil Smith (from the Chiefs who had tormented him FOREVER) to make his team better. We don't see much of that anymore... except Kurt offering to take a cut for Anquan... and it looks like to no avail.

The Anquan thing has been an issue for years, though. If he's not given an extension, than he should still play, but from a management perspective I would want him to be there for the rest of his career. He's got the same talent level as T.O, maybe even better hands, and as long as he get's paid he's happy. Your right, though, and I'm not a fan of players wanting extensions after every touchdown. If you sign a contract than that should be pretty obvious you don't get a new one until that one wears out, but there should be some incentive in all contracts that get's you money when you go above and beyond the intention of the contract IMO.

As for TO in Dallas, they did get what they asked for; Great numbers on the field, and a lot of controversy off the field. Who knows what Buffalo's thought process is, but at least they don't have much to lose. They need to throw as many things in the mix as possible, especially being in such a tight division. They are asking for it, though, no doubt!.

*bats eyelashes* Lauren is so cute when she gets all "football".

I have studied football extensively..I am laying my money down on Oakland for the win. They are itching for some winning action and need some superbowl rings. Go Oakland!
(gets ready to duck flying cherry tomatoes when I get home)
kidding kidding (small voice) go Ravens!

*bats eyelashes* Lauren is so cute when she gets all "football".

I have studied football extensively..I am laying my money down on Oakland for the win. They are itching for some winning action and need some superbowl rings. Go Oakland!
(gets ready to duck flying cherry tomatoes when I get home)
kidding kidding (small voice) go Ravens!

:duck:

GO RAVENS!!!!

Back