• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Very UNUSUAL garter...

Oh they do, where do you think we get some of our morphs, some are found naturally. And I have seen puppy dog tamed snakes from the wild.

but garters?? most that i have encountered have tried to kill me, and the ones who didn't bite wouldn't let me get close... Usually the garters i catch are little tiny yearlings.

well maybe that species doesn't like you. ;)
I have picked up wild snakes and they have been calm.

But mind you, I have seen bull snakes hiss and holler in others hand's and are calm in mine. I think its either hormones or just attitude with the animals.

that seems to happen with me and wild cattle, but thats a whole different story.

Bull snakes do just fine with me. (in most cases)

Maybe its just the location difference i don't know....

Allison, may I just say that you have a very pretty thumb.

Be very, very, quiet. In Arizona you need a fishing license to catch snakes and I'm pretty sure it is illegal to sell snakes that you have caught. Mr. Ranger reads this forum from time to time.

Well placed and well stated! Always know your local laws on capturing wild life of any sort! Nanci linked us to this and you will find at the end of the 40+ page article, your state's laws on this matter.

http://tinyurl.com/m4cwad

Best if you all take a look at at least your state's laws on the chart near the last pages.

PJ

You could always say its an eastern garter or something, when it comes to morphs you can pretty easily pull something like that off. I've heard of a story in Rhode Island where a man kept a Tiger Retic in a pet store (they are illegal in RI). Well fish and game came to investigate a report of a retic. Well he walked right up to the retic and asked what it was, the store owner told him it was a arock x burm hybrid. The fish and game officer bought it and even said it was a very cool looking animal. It might not be the right thing to do but its very possible.

Did you say you need a fishing license to collect snakes? It might not hurt to have one...

You could always say its an eastern garter or something, when it comes to morphs you can pretty easily pull something like that off. I've heard of a story in Rhode Island where a man kept a Tiger Retic in a pet store (they are illegal in RI). Well fish and game came to investigate a report of a retic. Well he walked right up to the retic and asked what it was, the store owner told him it was a arock x burm hybrid. The fish and game officer bought it and even said it was a very cool looking animal. It might not be the right thing to do but its very possible.

I would be careful on this. DNR up here know their Garters and other wild life. They may not know exotic species but tend to know their own neighborhood.
What is odd, its hard to tell the direct species on this animal. It either of 2 species and it hard trying to nail it down.
It could be a Checkered or a Terrestrial Gartersnake.

that snake is a REALLY tame garter... I am kinda wondering if maybe... it could be an escaped pet or something?? i wouldn't think that a morph would just develope on its own in the wild..
This crossed my mind for a moment too. This garter is clearly older than a hatchling and not very "wild". I have grown up with this species and in my observation they tend to be pretty slow and calm compared to some garters I have found in the Midwest.
That being said I highly doubt the probability of someone losing their piebald garter out their back door. :)

I have picked up wild snakes and they have been calm.

But mind you, I have seen bull snakes hiss and holler in others hand's and are calm in mine. I think its either hormones or just attitude with the animals.

Yep, very true. Some wild caught snakes are more tame than my own! It just depends on the snake and the individual I assume.

Did you say you need a fishing license to collect snakes? It might not hurt to have one...
Nope, not a fishing license but a general hunting license. I have been reading up like crazy...

I would be careful on this. DNR up here know their Garters and other wild life. They may not know exotic species but tend to know their own neighborhood.
What is odd, its hard to tell the direct species on this animal. It either of 2 species and it hard trying to nail it down.
It could be a Checkered or a Terrestrial Gartersnake.

It's a Terrestrial. The Checkered garters are mostly found in central and southern Az and I am far north.

This is a cool link to the Az species if anyone would like to check it out.
http://www.reptilesofaz.org/herp-snakes.html

Guuuuuh you're sure you can't ship him/her? Hey, that reminds me... have you/can you sex it yet?

I'd take it if you can ship.

One thing is certain that is one handsome snake. What a great find. I'd keep it (if legal) even if it weren't something I was interested in breeding right away. We never know what the future holds and that's a great addition to a collection!
Please do keep us posted!
Nick

I wouldn't release it... Keep it as a pet for now and look more into it.. And contact some of the bigger garter breeders that do morphs. They might know ways around the laws or little loopholes. I will come get it from ya if you want ;)

It's a Terrestrial. The Checkered garters are mostly found in central and southern Az and I am far north.
If you go to the garter snake forum I think most will tell you that it is a wandering garter (Thamnophis elegans vagrans) rather than a terrestrial. I think (but not sure) most of them refer to Thamnophis elegans terrestris (which technically does not exist anymore) as the terrestrial.

There have been some changes to recognized subspecies in Thamnophis elegans somewhat recently - so that adds to the confusion and disagreement on what is or isn't a "terrestrial garter" (it seems some of them are reluctant to change)

It seems that Thamnophis elegans went from

many subspecies (6 that i could find)

(1. Thamnophis elegans elegans 2. Thamnophis elegans arizonae 3. Thamnophis elegans hueyi 4. Thamnophis elegans terrestris 5. Thamnophis elegans vagrans 6. Thamnophis elegans vascotanneri)

to officially 2 subspecies

(1. T. e. elegans 2. T. e. vagrans)

Guuuuuh you're sure you can't ship him/her? Hey, that reminds me... have you/can you sex it yet?
No sex yet, I'm worried I might injure or stress it out at this point.

If you go to the garter snake forum I think most will tell you that it is a wandering garter (Thamnophis elegans vagrans) rather than a terrestrial. I think (but not sure) most of them refer to Thamnophis elegans terrestris (which technically does not exist anymore) as the terrestrial.

There have been some changes to recognized subspecies in Thamnophis elegans somewhat recently - so that adds to the confusion and disagreement on what is or isn't a "terrestrial garter" (it seems some of them are reluctant to change)
Very interesting! I was using the Arizona Reptile page as a reference. It shows pictures of my little guy under the name "Terrestrial".
Looking at him up close and then comparing him to Wandering garters.. they just don't look similar enough. But who knows? He very well could be :shrugs:

I was using the Arizona Reptile page as a reference.

Imagine my surprise when they (at the garter snake forum) told me that here in Colorado we do not have terrestrial garters. I was using the Colorado Herpetological Society's website as reference which says we do - lol

Imagine my surprise when they (at the garter snake forum) told me that here in Colorado we do not have terrestrial garters. I was using the Colorado Herpetological Society's website as reference which says we do - lol

Haha! I guess we are behind the times and slow with the info then. :)

NEW SKIN!

Alright everyone, he/she finally shed! The results are awesome. The dorsal stripe is WHITE. The snake also does not show any "normal" colors such as yellow, green, brown, etc. I wonder if the mutation is linked to anery somehow? But that doesn't explain the lack of yellow...

anyway, enough rambling. Here are the pics. I apologize for the blurriness and poor quality, it's hard to catch good shots in a dark house.

AGarterSkin9-2-09011jpguse.jpg

(Note the color)

AGarterSkin9-2-09013jpguse.jpg

AGarterSkin9-2-09016jpguse.jpg

AGarterSkin9-2-09029jpguse.jpg

AGarterSkin9-2-09037jpguse.jpg

Look at it's side!

AGarterSkin9-2-09048jpguse.jpg

AGarterSkin9-2-09045jpguse.jpg

AGarterSkin9-2-09071jpguse.jpg

Any new thoughts with the new shed?

Back