• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Little Cobra That Could: A Drama

members of the Leioheterodon are not at all toxic to humans. Having been bitten by a subadult male L. madagascariensis during a feeding response, and a female adult, I can personally vouch for the fact that there were no toxic reactions to the bite.

Quote above is from a website ^^ Their saliva only "stuns" their prey and is harmless to humans :)

members of the Leioheterodon are not at all toxic to humans. Having been bitten by a subadult male L. madagascariensis during a feeding response, and a female adult, I can personally vouch for the fact that there were no toxic reactions to the bite.

Quote above is from a website ^^ Their saliva only "stuns" their prey and is harmless to humans :)

I don't know...this guy might beg to differ

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Yikes! So... are they or aren't they would be my question? I'm glad I kept a mop between me and that little guy.

no, i don't think they are venomous.

I think their saliva, entering into the bloodstream, can cause a nasty reaction.

edit..Ah, I have been proven wrong by my fellow posters, apparently they are technically venomous.

Last edited:
i think the guy on that site gets bit and waits to see a reaction. if its the site ive seen before. ive heard that they have slight venom and also the saliva theory. do i know for sure? no. but so did the komodo dragon have bacteria filled saliva, which it does. but now it known to be venomous also.

i know that if you let them sit there and chew on you and get whatever into your blood, you could have a reaction. as that site shows.

edit: forgot to say, awesome find. its not uncommon for the defecation either. they do it when playing dead often to make them smell of decay and death. probably especially with the dogs mucking with him as they were probably more aggressive looking than you.

but rear fanged i presume. so even if it bit you, would you have to let it chew in. or am i wrong. ive never worked with these guys.
It would have to work the venom in, as it hasn't got an effective delivery system...
Plus the teeth are right at the back, so it's hard for them to get you easily....

I'd also like to add for people who say its only there saliva, venom is technically modified saliva. And since there saliva has affects on the animals they bite I would cinsider it vemon..and extreely weak vemon but venom none the less.

That snake isn't going to bite anyone. All they do is peck at you like a chicken, with their mouths closed!! The snake from the famous hoggy bite pics is a Western. They get hungry and try to eat you.

Here's a very old thread about hognose venom http://tinyurl.com/ybm8g9d with me blathering on and on about it. TG Zee turned back into a normal snake and lost his nickname of Pineapple and has never hunger-bit again.

It starts out with a cool feeding sequence of Zee envenomating his FT mouse.

nothing but a hognose. They used to be here in my neighborhood 35 yrs. ago until they destroyed their habitat with construction..Harmless snakes and quite rare nowadays..

just to let you know there are only 4 venomous snakes in the U.S. copperheads, rattlesnakes, corals and moccassins.

Lethally venomous anyways. There are several snakes that are't considered venomous but are infact are, some of which might surprise you. Believe it or not the most common snake in the country, the garter snake, is actually one of them. I've had my finger go rub after having it chewed on by one of my garters.

o.k. tell me about it. I`ve never heard of anyone dying from a bite from a garter snake or any other snake besides the ones I listed. Prove it. Lethally?

Back