• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Snake Morph ID

Sheenie99

We just picked up this snake from a seller on Craigslist. It was listed as a 5-yr old Female Creamsicle Cornsnake. After probing, it's definately a male and weighs only 189 grams! Also, it has a clear belly and motley pattern. The eyes are red with red pupils. Would this make it an Amel Motley? Thanks.

I'd say Amel motley...but as i always say....I'm no expert...but this one seems pretty easy.

rats are more fatty than mice...if your amel motley is 5 yrs old..and only 189grams...he needs to gain a bit of weight...i think thats what the other poster was getting at.

Well kind of what I was getting at. Rats ASAP could put unecessary and hard to get rid of fat. I would think a healthy size appropriate diet would be best to start.
Also just because they were wrong with sex (which happens to even the big breeders) I don't think especially if using for breeding you can say it is not a creamsicle. Creamsicle being a hybrid should be listed as a possible in all hatchlings that could result from this breeding.

I'm curious why rats, ASAP?
What he said
rats are more fatty than mice...if your amel motley is 5 yrs old..and only 189grams...he needs to gain a bit of weight...i think thats what the other poster was getting at.
Yup
Well kind of what I was getting at. Rats ASAP could put unecessary and hard to get rid of fat. I would think a healthy size appropriate diet would be best to start.
Also just because they were wrong with sex (which happens to even the big breeders) I don't think especially if using for breeding you can say it is not a creamsicle. Creamsicle being a hybrid should be listed as a possible in all hatchlings that could result from this breeding.
Thats very true

I'm assuming the only way to tell if its Hypo is by breeding....is this correct?

I suppose there's a very slight chance that it could be Hypo and Amel, but considering you got it off of craigs list, it's very doubtful. It looks like an Amel Motley to me. I'd be weary of the Creamsicle label though. It sounds like the person might not have really been that knowledgeable, but they had to get the Creamsicle name from somewhere..

If you do breed this animal be careful, and make sure to inform people that you could be dealing with a cream. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about Creamsicles will add some information about how to prove that it's not a cream.

Even though this snake is underweight, it doesn't mean it is not 5 years old. It could have been bred and dropped down in weight, or the owner may have been neglecting it. Although they were wrong about the gender, they could have originally gotten it from a pet store..

There are just so many what ifs about this equation though. Keep it in quarantine and be weary about breeding it to the rest of your stock.

We plan on letting people know that he was labeled as a creamsicle IF we do breed him. The age is accurate because the pet store they got it from hasn't been open for approximately 4 years. We believe that the snake could be the offspring of a creamsicle, therefore would still be labeled as a creamsicle, and he was probably just probed inaccurately. As for the weight, he was underfed (never bred) but we plan on feeding him mice to get him to a healthy weight. We were more interested in peoples opinions on the genetics, not on how to take care of the snake. We have plenty of experience with cornsnakes and keeping them healthy. :D We'd prefer to hear more about genetics, especially if there's a way to tell if its a creamsicle. Thank you!

Yours is pretty. It's hard for me to compare them since she's smaller and seems to have more white. I guess if we want better answers we'd have to breed him, but we'll see!

your absolutely right susan,...it would put on fat that could be difficult to get rid of somewhere down the line...and i believe your also right about feeding app. sized mice to get this fellas weight up. I personally would'nt feed any of my babies rats as it's just not necessary.

your absolutely right susan,...it would put on fat that could be difficult to get rid of somewhere down the line...and i believe your also right about feeding app. sized mice to get this fellas weight up. I personally would'nt feed any of my babies rats as it's just not necessary.

Totally, I tried rats for a wnile and the result was excess fat, never again.

off topic: Hence my first question 'rat asap' why. It seems some people just jump in give an opinion without thinking it through. It appears from OP knew something about snakes. Enthusiasm sometimes jumps the fact that experience might otherwise slow down and think.

pretty amel motley...Kinda makes you wonder if the sellers saw the name "creamsicle" and figured it would be a good name to help sell it...

Its really hard to tell the difference between a cream and a 100% corn. There is a lot of size overlap between the two and there really is no definite way to find out, just make assumptions. Unless one day they manage to map the corn genome and we could send off some corn blood and they could tell us of any hybridization. That would be nice!

Since you were told is was a cream, I would go off the assumption. If you ever breed, just label the babies as such. If he stays as just a pet, it doesnt matter anyway because creams are just as good as corns in that department! :)

Back