• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Stupidity Strikes...

DragonBoy

Crazy Cornsnake Breeder
For the sake of the newcomer I want to share something stupid I did even though I know well enough how dangerous it was.
I have been trying to get a rather reluctant group of females bred. I also have been busy with a father-in-law who is 88 and nearing the end of his life. So I got the bright idea to just put these girls with boys and leave them go for a week or ten days.
Doing checks I discovered 2 males dead. On was obviously killed by the female, the other one I am not quite sure Right now I feel like an idiot because I know better. :headbang::headbang::headbang:
The two males I lost were both stripe/patternless/cubed breeders. Neither was over 6 years old. As for the others I have worked hard to seperate them so there will be no more issues.

Wow, I'm sorry. It makes me nervous to even leave them overnight. Luckily this year everyone just did it within minutes of introduction.

I am so sorry! I can see exactly how you wound up there, and someone else did overnights successfully earlier this year, so it all makes sense. My condolences!

That's a shame. I've never heard of adult corns killing each other. I'm curious how did the female kill the male? Typically corns aren't aggressive so I find this surprising.

That's a shame. I've never heard of adult corns killing each other. I'm curious how did the female kill the male? Typically corns aren't aggressive so I find this surprising.

Ditto on this question. I know many breeders who intro a male in the spring and when the female is gravid, or several confirmed hook up occur, they are removed.

I wonder if stress was more of a factor for there deaths.

Still, my condolences...

Well the one female ate the male...she goes about 700g he was about 300g.
The other one looked like he had a "wound". It was very disheartening to say the least. If they had been kings I would expect this.
Thank you all for the kind words.

Wow. That's surprising. I have left my breeders together before for several days and I remember hearing of others who do the same.

Sorry for your losses.

Well the one female ate the male...she goes about 700g he was about 300g.
The other one looked like he had a "wound". It was very disheartening to say the least. If they had been kings I would expect this.
Thank you all for the kind words.

Thank you for ellaborating,

Wow, Again Sorry for your loss.

Honestly, I don't think you were stupid at all. It is the breeding season, after all and I am more against co habbing then most people, to the point that I consider forced co habitation with corns akin to animal abuse. And yet during the breeding season, I very well might have done the exact thing you did. Please don't beat yourself up over this.
But the next time someone asks about co habbing, or defends the practice, I may use this example to deter them, even though I don't think this was poor husbandry, AT ALL.

I am so sorry for your losses, and I hope your female is ok.

Thanks again for all the kind words.
Both females seem fine at this point. I am hoping they did manage to breed before the males demise. We will know in a few weeks.

Wow, what an unfortunate thing to happen!! I'm very sorry for your losses. :( Hopefully you'll get some little ones to carry on the genes of their fathers.

Wow... there are just no words for what happened. I saw my biggest male Grrr bite his tank mates when he was co-habbed, but they were all males. Why in the world would a female do this to a male? Let alone two...

Do any of the huge breeders like Rich, Kathy, or Don have any input on this?

I'm so sorry for your loss, how frustrating! I do hope you get some nice hatchlings out of the girls, and I hope your FIL is doing all right as well.

You are not stupid.

I have been breeding corns for 8 years now, and every breeding season I put my males in with the females for a period of 1 month and then seperate them.
To date I have had no problems, maybe because I try to pair up similar sizes.

On the other hand, I am totally against permanent co-habbing.

Like you said, you knew better.. I will not co hab anything over night unless they have not had their first ever shed..

When we breed, we watch the females, and have a very good sense of when they are ovalating in the spring, generally one or two hook ups. If they are not hooked up, I will not leave the room.. Granted corns are pretty chill 99% of the time, I will try to avoid any sort of chance for a smaller animal to disappaear.. Yeah it can be a long, and tedious procedure, but we have never had a death during breeding season..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Things happen, but the books say (I know, the books aren't always right...) you can keep them in as long as is needed, or longer if desired. Never have food in the cage with more than one of course, but keeping them together to breed shouldn't really be a problem. That's just one of those freaky accidents.

update

Several of you have asked so I wanted to post a quick update. My Father-in-law's battle ended 6-12-10 about 2am. Thank you all for the kind words and good wishes.

Back