• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gray Rat Lifer!!!

Nanci

Alien Lover
So I was pulling up to the shooting range, which is out in the sticks, near Fort White, in Columbia County, Florida. North Central Florida. 12:30 PM, 80F. Sunny. On the paved-to-dirt road, I saw a massive snake laying mostly on the road. Not moving. I stopped dead in the middle of the road and got out. I walked up to him and bent over him. From a distance I had thought it was a large yellow rat, but in fact it was the first wild gray rat I have ever seen! He was laying on the road, motionless, his spine curved in a series of Ss- so many it looked unnatural. I asked "Are you all right?" I stroked my fingers down his back. "Oh no," I thought, "he's been hit by a car." Then he twitched a little. Flicked his tongue. I gently picked him up, and he came to life! He'd just been basking, warming up from the 60F night. The only other snake I have ever picked up like that, as tame as any of my corns, was a black rat up in North Carolina. First I admired him and talked to him. He coiled around and crawled through my hands. I tried to get out my phone to take pics. He was quite long- at least four feet, so getting the phone out and hanging on to him was tricky. Finally I was all set, but he was so massive, I could barely get him far enough away to get him in the picture, at my full arm's length.

Attachments

• gray rat october 2010_01.jpg
    gray rat october 2010_01.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 212
While I was wrangling around with the camera and the snake, another member drove up and let me in the gate. He said "That looks like an oak snake to me!" So I climbed in my truck with the snake in one hand and drove through the gate then got out to close it. At his point, my friend Todd drove up, so he took some pics of me and the snake that I hope he forwards to me later.

Attachments

• gray rat october 2010_02.jpg
    gray rat october 2010_02.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 210
By this point, Mr. Gray Rat was my new best friend, and I'd even gotten in a few kisses, which he was amenable to. :) But I knew I had to let him go, so I drove him a little bit down the dirt road, to the shotgun range, and let him go in a blackberry patch, next to a big open field and some ramshackle buildings. I'm sure he can find his way just fine back up to the busy highway if he wants, but at least he wouldn't be squished by the time I left to go home! I was SO thrilled to find this big guy!!

Attachments

• gray rat october 2010_03.jpg
    gray rat october 2010_03.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 210
That seems to be the normal pattern for Eastern rat snakes to freeze when approached. I've rarely had one "flee" when discovered and act just like you described. Of course some of them go crazy when they are first touched and try to bite your head off.

Ha. That last photo makes him look like a Rat/Viper Cross or something with how triangular his head looks...must've been the angle of the shot :)

Aw how lucky are you?! I see huge black rat snakes around my house a lot and they always freeze when you get near them. I didn't get any pictures this year though because I haven't been out and about as much (only seen one in the yard). Now it's too late in the year. The weather is getting colder and I highly doubt I will see anymore snakes until spring time comes along. I wish I lived in FL! I would have been so tempted to take that snake home :D.

HOLY COW, Nanci!!! He is one massively gorgeous fellow and like others, I'm pretty envious of you for having had such an experience. Kudos to you on your lifer!!!!

Nanci, was he basking sort of like this?

DSCN4958.jpg

(found this guy last year at Three Lakes WMA)

It always scares me when I see them like that!

VERY nice find!

Yeah, exactly!! Only in a straight line, and flatter, and he didn't have his head raised at all.

Back