• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tessera Corns- UPDATE

StrangeCargo

Last year my friend Don Shores of Shores Enuff Snakes ( http://www.shoresenuffsnakes.com/ ) got my Striped Tessera (I'll attach some younger pics of him)... Don just called me withs ome exciting news... He posted on another forum and wasn't sure if he was a cs.com member or not ... anyways, here is his post/info:

"This year I bred a Tessera corn I got from Graham Criglow that was from a Tessera to Tessera breeding. He is a striped Tessera. I bred it to a banded amel and 16 out of 16 eggs hatched were Tesseras. There were no bad eggs in the clutch. I am hoping this demonstrates that this is the first homozygote discovered (super form)."

If Don gets the same results next year this could be some awesome info!!!!!

Figured I'd share..

Attachments

• TesseraStripe1.jpg
    TesseraStripe1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 302
  • TesseraStripe2.jpg
    TesseraStripe2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 289
  • TesseraStripe3.jpg
    TesseraStripe3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 289
  • TesseraStripe4.jpg
    TesseraStripe4.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 292
  • TesseraStripe5.jpg
    TesseraStripe5.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 291
I believe so, Nanci - from what I understand we're seeing a lot of striped tesseras popping up because one of the first crosses was a stripe.....Graham can correct if I'm wrong...

I believe so, Nanci - from what I understand we're seeing a lot of striped tesseras popping up because one of the first crosses was a stripe.....Graham can correct if I'm wrong...

The original 2.1 Tesseras were out of that "Striped Okeetee Project" so they did have the striped/motley gene floating around in the mix...many of the orig 2009 outcrosses were to multi-homozygous animals (many of which included stripes)... for example I have a Tessera het ghost stripe that should go in 2012. I really like the way the stripe cleans the sides up alot when combined with teh Tessera gene.

This particular animal's results have more to do with it being from a Tessera X Tessera breeding. Don is a great guy and I'm glad he had such a cool clutch this year with that male!

Exciting stuff, Graham. My congratulations to you for originating this project and to Don Shores for the clutch.

Sooo...A Tessera that is a product of Tessera X Tessera breeding would be considered the "super" form, producing all tessera's when bred to a non-tessera snake but is visually the same as a Tessera that is a product of an "outcrossed" Tessera breeding?

I'm guessing more test breedings are in the works just to make sure Mr. Shores just didn't draw 21 in Tessera Blackjack ;)

Statistically, breeding a tessera (heterozygous) to the same.....will produce:

25% normals
50% Tesseras (heterozygous)
25% Tesseras (homozygous or Super form)

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell the supers from the non-super tesseras....until you raise them up and do breeding trials.

This follows the same pattern as many known dominant morphs in ball pythons....Spider comes to mind.

Back