• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Miami Tessera's :)

MysticExotics

(formerly NWHeather)
I came home to find my Miami Tessera laying eggs. This was a pairing I decided to do last minute.
Miami Tessera X Miami Tessera (both parents ph Amel).

Pictured are the Dam and the Sire.

Now the hard part...waiting for the babies to hatch.

Attachments

• 10639696_707505186042600_1108789785193308125_n.jpg
    10639696_707505186042600_1108789785193308125_n.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 223
  • kaia.jpg
    kaia.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 71683_386100_Large_tKEdBKC8WYNRQ.jpg
    71683_386100_Large_tKEdBKC8WYNRQ.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
There has to be more than one super tessera out there.

I agree! There's got to be a number of Tessera X Tessera pairings out there.
I don't know if the Supers are ending up in homes not breeding them, or if people are just not saying anything.

It doesn't help that there (appears) to be no markers for Supers.

I've been wondering about that too! Very few people seem to want to even talk about it and there has got to be a fair number of them out there, would have thought at least a few should have been old enough to have been proven out last year and more this year.

I've been wondering about that too! Very few people seem to want to even talk about it and there has got to be a fair number of them out there, would have thought at least a few should have been old enough to have been proven out last year and more this year.

I agree, and I don't know why anyone would do that. I like to be part of proving/testing stuff out.

In Carpet Pythons, they're all about Super forms (Zebra, Caramel). I think it's exciting!
I'll probably try for Super Red Factor as well. :)

Tessera x tessera breedings don't seem to give more slugs than average, do they? If it doesn't increase the odds of embryonic lethality then I don't see any other alternative to it being a simple Mendelian trait, and thus 1/4 of the offspring of tess x tess crosses (1/3 of the visual tessera offspring) should be homozygous tessera. Still, I agree you'd expect to have seen more of them crop up by now.

Tessera x tessera breedings don't seem to give more slugs than average, do they? If it doesn't increase the odds of embryonic lethality then I don't see any other alternative to it being a simple Mendelian trait, and thus 1/4 of the offspring of tess x tess crosses (1/3 of the visual tessera offspring) should be homozygous tessera. Still, I agree you'd expect to have seen more of them crop up by now.

I don't know what anyone else has had, but my current T X T clutch that is due to hatch any day did not have any slugs. I have 19 eggs, and one has been dented the last week or so, I think it is still good, but so far, 19 out of 19 eggs
laid appear to be good.

My friend had the female for a couple years, and he said she double clutched last year, so I am watching her to see if she is going to give me a second clutch of T X T's.

That's the idea I got from others, too (that there aren't more slugs). I imagine that if someone actually held back all the tessera offspring from such a cross, they'd find that the ratio of supers is what you'd expect. It's too bad that it seems to be a simple dominant trait instead of incomplete dominant.

For a regular dominant trait, the animal shows the same mutant phenotype whether they have only one copy of the dominant allele or two copies. With incomplete dominance, the phenotype is different if you have two copies of the dominant allele vs just a single copy, ie the animals that are homozygous for the dominant allele are the "super" form. In the reptile hobby, a lot of people use the term codominant to describe what is actually incomplete dominance.

Since homozygous tesseras seem (based on an extremely limited sample) to look the same as a regular tessera, then that would be simple dominance. If homozygotes had a more extreme phenotype or something, it would be incomplete dominance.

That's the idea I got from others, too (that there aren't more slugs). I imagine that if someone actually held back all the tessera offspring from such a cross, they'd find that the ratio of supers is what you'd expect. It's too bad that it seems to be a simple dominant trait instead of incomplete dominant.

I will be hoarding....I mean holding back....all of the Tessera's to do some test breeding down the road. I realize that is going to be a big project (for me, being I only do 1-3 pairings a year) but I want to learn more about it, and I want to see if I can find any possible indicators.

For a regular dominant trait, the animal shows the same mutant phenotype whether they have only one copy of the dominant allele or two copies. With incomplete dominance, the phenotype is different if you have two copies of the dominant allele vs just a single copy, ie the animals that are homozygous for the dominant allele are the "super" form. In the reptile hobby, a lot of people use the term codominant to describe what is actually incomplete dominance.

In Carpet Pythons, an example of the incomplete dominant would be the Zebra's correct? Because the Super Zebra's are visibly different from the Zebra's...?

I'm not too familiar with carpet python morphs but yes, if it is dominant to wild type and the homozygous mutant form is different from the heterozygous form, it is incomplete dom.

(I am currently working on a genetics tutorial, even though one already exists, to explain these sorts of things in more depth for people who know the basics and want to know more. For example, I explain why some mutations are dominant and why others are recessive or incomplete dominant, and hopefully make concepts such as allelism clear. But the main goal is to explain why the genetic rules are what they are, so that it's easier to apply them more intuitively. So be on the lookout.)

I think that's true for the most part, but I know Don has done multiple tess x tess matings and sold the offspring. But I guess any buyers that bred those offspring just didn't flock here to report their clutches of all tesseras.

I'm kinda surprised that more people haven't done Tess X Tess breedings.

Supers, of course, could/should go for more than (het) Tessera's, but I wonder if those breeders didn't feel like proving out which ones were Super's, or, maybe they didn't think about the Super aspect, since there's no known visual indicators.

Back