• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

All Variations/Morphs

Jimmysan00

Cornsnake-aholic
Color morphs
1.Normal or wildtype Corn Snakes are orange with black lines around red colored saddle markings going down their back with black and white checkered bellies. Regional diversity is found in wild caught Corn Snakes, the most popular being the Miami and Okeetee phases.
2.Miami Phase (originates in the Florida wildtype) These are usually a smaller Corn Snake with some specimens having high contrasting light silver to gray ground color with orange saddle markings surrounded in black. Selective breeding has lightened the ground color and darkened the saddle marks. The "Miami" name, coined by Rich Zuchowski, now is considered an appearance trait. Many Miami Corn Snakes are difficult to start feeding as hatchlings, as they prefer lizards. Miami corns, unlike other varieties, will often readily accept anoles as food for life. This can simplify feeding for residents of Florida, but care should be taken to avoid introducing parasites from wild caught food.
3.Okeetee Corns (classic corns, originate from South Carolina wildtype) These snakes are characterized by deep red dorsal saddle marks surrounded by very black borders. The ground color varies with bright orange being popular amongst breeders. As with the Miami phase, selective breeding has changed the term "Okeetee" to an appearance rather than a locality. Some on the market originate solely from selectively breeding corns from the Okeetee Hunt Club.
4.Candycane(selectively bred Amelanistic) These are amelanistic corns bred toward the ideal of red saddle marks on a white background. Some were produced using light creamsicle (emory/albino corn hybrids x corn) bred with Miami phase corns. Most candy canes develop orange coloration around the neck region as they mature and many labeled as candycanes later develop significant amounts of yellow or orange in the ground color. The contrast they have as hatchlings often fades with maturity.
Reverse Okeetee (selectively bred [[Melanism|amelanistic) an amelanistic okeetee Corn Snake which has the normal black rings around the saddle marks replaced with wide white rings. Ideal specimens are high contrast snakes with light orange to yellow background and dark orange/red saddles. Note: Albino Okeetees are not locale-specific okeetees, they are selectively bred amelanistics
5.Fluorescent orange (selectively bred amelanistic) develop white borders around bright red saddle marks as adults on an orange background.
Sunglow (selectively bred amelanistic) another designer albino corn that lacks the usual white speckling that often appears in most albinos, and selected for exceptionally bright ground color. The orange background surrounds dark orange saddle marks.
6.Bloodred (selectively bred "Diffused") Corn Snakes carry a recessive trait (known as diffused) that eliminates the ventral checkered patterns. These originated from a somewhat unicolor Jacksonville and Gainesville, Florida strain of Corn Snake. Through selective breeding, an almost solid ground color has been produced. Hatchlings have a visible pattern that can fade as they mature into a solid orange red to ash red colored snake. The earlier bloodreds tend to have large clutches of smaller than average eggs that produce hard to feed offspring, though out-crossing with amelanistic and anerythristic corns hatchlings tend to be larger with fewer feeding problems.
Crimson (hypomelanistic + Miami) are very light high contrast snakes with a light background and dark red/orange saddle marks.
7.Anerythristic (anerythristic A, Sometimes called black albino) are the compliment to amelanism. The inherited recessive mutation of lacking erythrin (red, yellow, and orange) pigments produces a snake that is mostly black, gray and brown. When mature, many type A anerythristic Corn Snakes develop yellow on their neck regions. In 1984 a Type B anerythristic Corn Snake was caught in the wild; it is the ancestor of anerythristics missing the yellow neck regions. Similar snakes include: stonewashed -- copper or light brown saddle marks; charcoal (aka muted anerythristic, Pine Island anerythristic)-- type B anerythristic, very low contrast with shades of gray on white and black background.
8.Anerythristic A Corn SnakeCharcoal These snakes (sometimes known as anerythristic type 'B') can lack the yellow color pigment usually found in all Corn Snakes. They are a more muted contrast compared to Anerythristics.
Caramel corns are another Rich Zuchowski engineered Corn Snake. The background is varying shades of yellow to yellow-brown. Dorsal saddle marks vary from caramel yellow to brown, and chocolate brown.
9.Lavender Corn Snakes contain a light pink background with darker purple gray markings and burgundy eyes or lavender gray saddle marks on an orangish background. Variation with this same genetic strain are arguably called: mocha, cocoa, and chocolate.
10.Cinder reduced red pigment which becomes more like an anerythristic as they become adults.
11.Kastanie This gene was first discovered in Germany. Kastanies hatch out looking nearly anerythristic but gain some color as they mature, to eventually take on a chestnut coloration.
12.Hypomelanistic or rosy Corn Snakes carry a recessive trait that reduces the dark pigments causing the reds, whites, and oranges to become more vivid. Their eyes remain dark. These snakes range in appearance between amelanistic corns snakes to normals with greatly reduced melanin.
13.Ultra Ultra is a hypomelanistic-like gene that is an allele to the Amelanistic gene. Ultra Corn Snakes have light grey lines in place of black.
14.Ultramel (Ultra + Amelanistic) Ultramel appear a lot like Amels and Ultras but because they are heterozygous, two bred together will produce Amels, Ultras and Ultramels.
15.Dilute is another melanin-reducing gene.
16.Sunkissed is a hypo-like gene which was first found in Kathy Love's colony.
17.Lava is an extreme hypo-like gene which was discovered by Joe Pierce and named by Jeff Mohr.
18.Stargazing is caused by a simple-recessive genetic defect and is considered deleterious

somebody has been very busy and reading lots of information. Good job. looks like you have a good idea on some of the major morphs genes. :cheers:

That was really cool that you made this post, so we can learn more about the different morphs... I appreciate it... :)

This is a Genetics/Morph section posted in the FAQ forum. It does appear that Joe hasn't completed it and the last time it was edited was was in 2005. I'll have to send him a message about it.

Some of the information posted by the OP isn't correct.

I posted this because i saw a lot of people asking about the different types of corns, and i thought it was good knowledge to share. I believe it's in the correct section seeing i posted about morphs and genetics. Your welcome to all the people that did enjoy reading it.

I posted this because i saw a lot of people asking about the different types of corns, and i thought it was good knowledge to share. I believe it's in the correct section seeing i posted about morphs and genetics. Your welcome to all the people that did enjoy reading it.

People are always asking about the different morphs, and the information is quite easy to find. You should credit your sources though, especially if you copied it from someone else (assuming you got their permission). As TME, pointed out, some information isn't totally accurate.

I don't agree with some of the information on the original post either, for example, that miamis are usually smaller corn snakes? My best friend has a pair that are HUGE, bigger than most of her others. My miami hatchling is also exceptionally large for her age!

This site starts handing out bad information in the second paragraph. :( Enter at your own risk.

Considering exact copies of this tutorial have been posted in several places and browsed by several knowledgable people, I would really appreciate any inaccuracies you find. And I'm not being sarcasic. I have not found any inaccuracies, nor has anyone else that has "perused" it pointed out inaccuracies to me. But if they are there, I would be thrilled to know about them, as anything wrong can than be corrected...

Care to elaborate?

This, BTW, is the second paragraph:
Let’s start with a basic understanding of Simple Recessive Genetics, also known as Mendelian Genetics. A DNA strand is composed of a string which has two sides…one side is contributed by the father, the other side contributed by the mother. This strand is made up of several gene-locations, known as locii(plural). Each locus is made up of two genes, known as alleles. The father contributes one allele, and the mother contributes one allele, giving a total of two alleles at each locus.

Aside from being very simplified so that absolute genetics neophytes can (hopefully) understand...I fail to see any flagrant or "dangerous" inaccuracies...Perhaps it won't earn you a biology degree or make you a geneticist...but you will be able to follow a conversation and understand what is being discussed...no?

The major inaccuracy in that paragraph is the statement that one side of a DNA strand is contributed by the father and the other side by the mother.

My revision of the paragraph, which could probably be improved on:

Let’s start with a basic understanding of Simple Recessive Genetics, also known as Mendelian Genetics. A DNA strand is composed of a string which has two sides. There is one DNA strand embedded in each chromosome. Chromosomes are paired, and the DNA strands in the pair of chromosomes are identical or very similar. One chromosome in each pair is contributed by the father, and the other chromosome is contributed by the mother.

Genes are functional portions of the DNA strands. Each gene has a location in the DNA strand in a chromosome, and that location usually does not move around in the strand. The technical term for a gene's location is locus (plural = loci). As chromosomes are paired, genes are also paired. One member of the gene pair is at its locus in one chromosome, and the other gene is at the corresponding locus in the other chromosome. When referring to a single locus, we generally mean the same locus in the two members of a chromosome pair.

Alleles are different versions of a gene and have the same locus. In boa constrictors, the Kahl albino mutant gene and the normal version of that albino mutant gene have the same locus and are alleles. The salmon mutant gene and the normal version of the salmon mutant gene have the same locus and are alleles. But the salmon mutant gene and the Kahl albino mutant gene do not have the same locus and are not alleles.

The definitions of homozygous and heterozygous were misleading, too. There were other things I didn't like, but I don't remember what they are at this time.

I understand what you are saying, but...the page is designed to give neophytes a very basic understanding of genetics, not turn someone into a geneticist.

The whole point in creating that page was to provide a very basic understanding of the most common terms used when discussing corn genetics. I took some very confusing terminology and brought it down to it's most basic level in order for everyone to understand what is being said. It wasn't intended as an educational link for biologists. It was intended to help someone understand what is being discussed in topics on forums like this one, and hopefully to understand, at a very basic level, how genetics operate.

Several times throughout the page, I stated that it is a very basic form of understanding. I didn't intend to provide a genetics lesson to a high degree. I intended to give people with no understanding at least a minimal understanding, so that topics revolving around genetics on forums like this are more understandable.

When I first started learning about genetics, I couldn't even wade through the topcs and posts here because I simply did not understand the terminology being used, nor the calculations and computations being formulated. This is because I had not even a base understanding.

That page is intended to give someone a base understanding, so that they can go out, read more, read topics, and participate(or at least follow) discussions without being completely lost.

While I agree that the page is not comprehensive...I do believe that it accomplishes the goal of helping people to understand what is being discussed, and hopefully encourages them to get further involved and go beyond the basic understand and strive for a more comprehensive understanding.

Try to remember that you have a biology degree and a degree in zoology. The page isn't meant for you. If you DIDN'T find problems with it...I would be utterly shocked. But it's not designed for you. It's designed by me...a relative newbie to genetics myself...with the intention of helping people understand what is happening in these discussions and in their own snakes.

I appreciate your input, but...I don't think it is necessary to get so deeply involved in related genetics issues when trying merely to grasp the basic concepts. I learned a long time ago that it is easier to learn something new when you take "baby steps". That page is designed to be someone else's baby step into genetics. I wrote using only terms I had heard used in topics on this forum, and I wrote at the absolute most basic level of genetic understanding possible intentionally...with the sole purpose of giving people a base from which to start.

Genetics is one of those topics that is hard to START learning about because even the most basic text available is incredibly confusing to someone that doesn't already have a basic understanding. The page isn't "innacurate", per se. Some stuff is left out, yes. Some stuff is way over-simplified, absolutely. But it gives people the basic understanding that is missing in a lot of "beginner text" on the subject. And the information is accurate to the degree that someone can dig deeper and read further from other resources and not become thoroughly lost in a world of terminology and calculations that they don't comprehend...

I'm for simplifying to give a basic understanding of what's going on.

"A DNA strand is composed of a string which has two sides…one side is contributed by the father, the other side contributed by the mother."

My point is that sentences like that one give a basic MISunderstanding.

How about this?

A DNA strand is composed of two sides connected by crossbars, like a ladder that has been twisted lengthwise. One "ladder" is contributed by the father, and a second "ladder" is contributed by the mother.

I do have a degree, and I am also taking quite a few genetics courses as well. Considering that his genetics tutorial is really in laymans for so that the inexperienced person can understand it, I believe he did fine. Lets face it, its a tutorial... obviously not intended for those experienced in the field of genetics. His tutorial gets the point across without having to delve into incredibly complex discussions about chromosomes, thus confusing the inexperienced reader more. I think that "beware" post was incredibly uncalled for. His tutorial isn't for you to "like."

Back