• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

All Variations/Morphs

Getting back to the original post, I started to read it but gave up half-way through #2 as I realized I was going to do more damage to my eyes if I continued. I would highly recommend the addition of a space or two between each numbered morphs.

it seems strange to say that one side of the DNA is from the mother and the other from the father
if the bonding partner of the A is T and the partner of C is G in DNA
then the mother's DNA strand would have to be exactly opposite of the fathers's strand
It would be better to say that one chromosome is contributed from the father and the other from the mother NOT that half of each DNA molecule is from each parent

it seems strange to say that one side of the DNA is from the mother and the other from the father
if the bonding partner of the A is T and the partner of C is G in DNA
then the mother's DNA strand would have to be exactly opposite of the fathers's strand
It would be better to say that one chromosome is contributed from the father and the other from the mother NOT that half of each DNA molecule is from each parent

To be honest, I have no idea what you just said...

When talking about cornsnakes, the father contributes an anery gene and the mother contributes an anery gene. That makes an anery snake. It doesn't get any simpler or easy to understand than that. Thus...one "side" is contributed by the father, and one by the mother. It's simple and to the point, but most importantly...accurate and understandable. All this other "stuff" only confuses the issue for people that are already confused by genetics. There is no reason to make it more confusing than it needs to be by striving for 100% "degree worthy" accuracy, IMO.

You can understand what is happening in the genetics of your snakes, and you can reasonably predict the outcome of pairings without ever delving into the world of genetics you are just beginning to open up with chromosomes and ladders, and a complete genetic code. All of that, while still basic to genetics, is really unnecessary for a beginning understanding of what is going on, IMO.

I'm sorry you don't like it, or that you would have done it differently. But it doesn't take away from the validity or usefulness of what I've written, and it certainly doesn't make it inaccurate enough that people should be "warned away". If it makes you feel any better, I'll add a disclaimer to the top of the page...

Of course...there is always the option to take it a step further and write your own, indepth page with a higher understanding of genetics...

Hi!
I don't want to heat up the moods again - I just thought one could try to give a little clarification about (what I think) offends some people in the text.

It's just the part about a DNA-strain composed by the DNA of both parents.
That information is - sorry - WRONG, and I know that some people can't stand wrong informations to be published, even in such a "small" matter.

On the other hand a genetics tutorial should be kept simple, that's right, without too much confusing infos.
A DNA-strain is (re)produced in complex mechanisms that are, here tyflier ist completely right, in no way important for understanding corn genetics.

Perhaps one could quit the whole DNA-thing and say "genetic material" or "genome"?

(That's of course only a suggestion - it's your (tyfliers) thing if your tutorial contains some tiny bits of (perhaps unimportant, but) incorrect infos as long as it helps people understand the main issue, i.e. snake genetics).
I don't think the whole "be aware! Stay away"-thing is adeqate, either - as long as everyone knows that it is a simplified tutorial.

Greetings :)

Back