• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bathing Your Corn?

yay4amy

Hey,

Been going through all the question and answers on here and i was wondering, should i be bathing my corn, 9-10 weeks Carolina Hatching, Hes a little skittish but is growing more and more confident with increased handling but i don't want to complete freak him out.

Also if i were to bath him, how Deep/ should the water be and for how long and often?

Any insight would be Fantastic :)

i through different threads on here i got the idea that it was good exercise and an interesting experience for the corn? keeping them mentally stimulated (as well as clean)

It is true that overweight or gravid snakes can benefit from the exercise of swimming. I _do_ take larger snakes out and let them swim in my contained water garden when I am photographing them, but not just for "fun." Hatchlings are so small and easy to overheat or chill. Or disappear down a drain or get eaten by something- There is no "purpose" for bathing a small/hatchling cornsnake unless it needs to be cleaned, which would be quite rare, and then just a rinse under the faucet with room temp water is fine.

If you want to give him something interesting to do, maybe a well-supervised crawl in the grass or climb in a tree would work. Outside, you need to watch for birds- so keep the snake very close and unexposed, and if you allow him to climb, make sure you are always spotting him in case of a fall. They don't always hang on- sometimes they just launch off the tree, toward you or the ground.

i see, so when hes older and larger, Thank you for your help, i wasn't doing it for my own benefit or for 'fun'. i had just seen it on here about bathing and introducing them to the water and wanted the best for my corn.

He's going into a larger viv soon with load of interesting platforms and vines and branches to climb which will keep he excited, we get him out a lot and were soon going to unleash him on the double bed. I'm still nervous about letting him 'off the leash' so to say!

Thank you!!

me to with my corn hatchling!!! my 2 yr old is much easier to catch, so gets let go to explore abit (completely supervised of course!), also my corn hatchling is a blizzard and a complete light pink right now, I have heard that light colored snakes shouldn't be brought out into the sunlight too much or for too long

You can bathe after a shed to make sure your snake has no unshed skin. It's always nessicary to be sure your snake has shed fully, as any unshed skin can blister and cause infection. This is the only time I ever bathe my snake, because unshed skin should not be pulled off but after soaking can come off as they go through your fingers.

Yeah you can bathe your snake, nothing wrong with it. My opinion is that it helps the snake and its skin.

I bath my cornskake every once and a while. They are especially good for the snakes when the snake is having a bit of a shedding problem as well.

It is true that overweight or gravid snakes can benefit from the exercise of swimming. I _do_ take larger snakes out and let them swim in my contained water garden when I am photographing them, but not just for "fun." Hatchlings are so small and easy to overheat or chill. Or disappear down a drain or get eaten by something- There is no "purpose" for bathing a small/hatchling cornsnake unless it needs to be cleaned, which would be quite rare, and then just a rinse under the faucet with room temp water is fine.

If you want to give him something interesting to do, maybe a well-supervised crawl in the grass or climb in a tree would work. Outside, you need to watch for birds- so keep the snake very close and unexposed, and if you allow him to climb, make sure you are always spotting him in case of a fall. They don't always hang on- sometimes they just launch off the tree, toward you or the ground.

Why did you waste your breath?

Well.... I'm just sayin'

I don't bathe my snakes, per se...at least not a bath for the sole purpose of bathing. I have run them under a room-temp tap when their food/eating is a bit messy (some of them devote their lives to pooping in their feeding bin and crawling through it, and there is the occasional exploded mouse). So they get a quick rinse off.

I will occasionally put them in an inch or so of water in a tub or tote if I have one that hasn't pooped in a while...luke warm water can sometimes persuade them to let go. And when I had shedding problems, I put them in a tote with a wet folded towel (the water was just deep enough to fully wet the towel...that worked miracles for the bad shed...they didn't really need a full bath)

I will say, I've never bathed any of my corn snakes and no one is suffering from it.
I soaked my ball python once BEFORE he shed and it completely ruined it. I found out later that soaking before a shed removes all the oils they need to properly shed their skin. So it did more harm than good. The only time I would ever consider giving them a bath would be if they crawled through fresh poo and were exceptionally messy- even then- I would probably just use a wet wash cloth to get them clean.

If you have a snake that is getting Nutribac- that stuff is like glue. With a hatchling it is quite common to find them so stuck to their feeding bin they can't move! That warrants a quick rinse under room temp water from the faucet. The first time they are exposed to that treatment they freak out, but the next time they couldn't care less.

I bath my snakes once a week in a nice warm bath with aroma oils in the water scented candles around the tub with soft music playing in the background. The only problem I have is the darn king snakes try to eat everybody else in the tub including my wife. LOL

Seriously, the only bath my snakes get is when I use Nanci's method to removeing a bad shed and that is just a very wet towel in the tub.

But, it would be funny to see my wife in the tub with all them snakes.

Love the Fatman

Hiya

I am relatively new to the hobby and I have just bathed my George today as he had shed through the night and was in a bit of a mess with it this morning, so in her popped, 5-10 minutes swimming around while i massaged him it was all off, i dried him with cosy towel and popped him back in his Viv! he looks gorgeous!

His previous owner.. the breeder we know, bathes some of his near shed time as the blue up..

hope this helps! hth

Sue

I have never bathed mine but my male will get in his water dish, coil around, stick his head out and lounge around. I have never caught my female in the water dish.

My hatchling is Not A Fan of water or being wet, but he was a bit smelly after a couple feeding sessions of pinky parts that consisted of ignoring the food and slithering all over it instead. So after he finally ate and defecated I cleaned out the whole viv, changed out the substrate, and "bathed" him a bit. I basically put him a small tupperware with 2 cm luke warm drinking water, watched him bolt out, repeated 3 times and finally let him slither around on a paper towel to dry. Then I put another paper towel on him and he kind of gave me this "wtf are you on about?" (ok I'm anthropomorphizing again, so sue me). Of course then he pooped again (at least I hope it is poop) in his freshly cleaned viv the next day.

Smell is the primary way I check for regurges, so it helps if he doesn't. :p

I swim my snakes for excercise to improve muscle tone because I have some skinny adults that I need to bulk up... just my thing.

Back