• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Calico Corn Information?

Many large universities with a biology department will have databases of snake genetics, especially rat snakes and racers. If you spent thousands of dollars on just one single snake I would think that money would not be an issue.

I think you have to isolate some mitochondrial DNA....run and PCR, and then analyze it. Rat snakes and corn snakes are both common and relatively over-studied. Obviously the information is not hard to find, otherwise these animals wouldn't be considered separate species.

I am surprised that nobody noticed that this snake has a single anal plate. Corn snakes have a divided anal plate.

Looks like a single scale to me.

I think a snake like this deserves being revisited, and i thought it looked like a prime chance for people to sharpen there classification skills. I had reserved myself to being wrong about the anal plate, but if you zoom in on the picture it is very obviously single.

All I wanted was to help people properly identify snake species. As corn snakes and rat snakes have divided anal plates, this clearly isnt of pure elaphe blood.

Take a look at the attached photo, still think we need to sharpen up on our reclassification skills? Hopefully your monitors can see the snake clearly has a DIVIDED anal plate and not a single anal plate.

I wasnt saying that it was I guess I was kinda calling the owner a liar as no snakes in that region carry those characteristics .

Now do you understand my sarcasm? LIAR is a very strong word and I just didn't understand what prompted you to make such a definitive statement and accusation based on a fairly blurry photograph.

Either way, hope this pics works better for everyone.

dc

Attachments

• DE10451.jpg
    DE10451.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 276
Camby with the photo you have provided i can now see that the scale is divided.

Were did you get that photo?

Anal plate aside, Do we have a close up of the head? Scale count?

I have my sources for obtaining the new photo of the underside. More photos and scale counts will come later, it will likely be several more weeks or more, lots going on right now.

Good picture, strong words bring strong response.

No comment!

dc

I know I am weird, but I have certainly more experience with wild caught snakes than keeping captive snakes.
I want to know what the snake smelled like.
Did anybody who examined it have the chance to sniff the scent glands? Black and Texas Rat Snakes smell very very different from the corn group. That's the first check I would have sneaked in, if I got near it.

I know I am weird, but I have certainly more experience with wild caught snakes than keeping captive snakes.
I want to know what the snake smelled like.
Did anybody who examined it have the chance to sniff the scent glands? Black and Texas Rat Snakes smell very very different from the corn group. That's the first check I would have sneaked in, if I got near it.

Not sure if that happened or not.

Side note, I notice a different smell to my emoryi when I open their containers versus my corns. Same for the LA Pines but that is typically smelling a huge pile of crap because they do it so often, lol

dc

very insightful, Eric! You're totally right. I've kept black racers and black rats...both smell different than corns.

I have my sources for obtaining the new photo of the underside. More photos and scale counts will come later, it will likely be several more weeks or more, lots going on right now

Are you the new owner? Maybe co-owner? That would explain why you are tacking this thread so personal.

Dusty Jones

Has anybody asked Bill Love from bluechamelion.org for his picture of a calico texas ratsnake to compare?

I've got a small book about ratsnakes (P. obsoletus) with this picture inside, but I can't find it on the internet, so I can't show it. And it's really similar looking. Only more colored scales.

There are piebald ballpythons with more and less white, pied sieded bloodred with more and less white, so there can be calico texas rat snakes with more and less white...

Greetings
Seriva

Since this is the only specimen....is it possible that the F1s were crossed in hopes of producing more calicos? Might explain why there has been such a delay between sightings/updates.

The Love book,The Corn Snake Manual shows two photos by credited to Tim Rainwater. It is called a calico corn. It is described as starting out with normal coloration that is gradually covered with white as it ages. This was a skin condition not a heritable trait. It is for this reason that someone way back when on this thread or another related to this snake suggested that calico is not a good name. It is associated with the earlier snakes referred to in the Love book.

I was just doing some digging up of interesting older threads and came upon this one. Anyone know where this so-called "calico" and/or its offspring are currently and whatkind of results are seen in the breedings? Wayne, you still around?

LOL, Jeff. I guess that makes them het for deadly!

Nah...I think "deadly" is a codom gene so I think they could be deadly already :sidestep:

Seriously, word on the street from the original guy who had it is that it was sold to a breeder. So...I assume that breeder still has it and is working on "hets" to see if it really is a new gene that is inherited in a simple recessive fashion. If it was a codom type thing I would expect we'd have already have seen pictures to cause a big buzz.

First of all, Dr. Mohr, I think we are related... I'm Sarah Mohr. :)
Secondly, I haven't read in detail all the posts in here, but do we know exactly if this IS a corn snake? And is it the same as the Palmetto that was just proven?

Back