• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Constricting Dead Prey

666killademon

i want to know if my snake will constrict prekilled prey cuz killing their prey to me is a very exciting aspect of their life but i don't want to use live mice and compromise my snakes health or appearance and if anything will they know to constrict a live mouse if they have been feeding on prekilled so i can at least see it subdue its prey once every now and then

Very sensible - IMO live prey is a bad idea as soon as its big enough to injure the snake.

All of my snakes get so overexcited about food that constricting is only part of the feeding process. Theres usually blood and guts at the end of it all... looks like a murder scene half the time.

do u use feeding tongs or they just do it on their own. Also what about anole lizards do u think that they can be constricted without problems; for the smaller snakes of course

666killademon said:
do u use feeding tongs or they just do it on their own. Also what about anole lizards do u think that they can be constricted without problems; for the smaller snakes of course

Don't feed anole lizards unless you have a picky snake. If they accept a lizard, they probably will never switch back to rodents.

Yes I use forceps to help kick in the feeding responce and I would forget the anole idea altogether. Corns will readily take mice with no problems. Once feeding on anoles he may not switch back.

Tula_Montage said:
Yes I use forceps to help kick in the feeding responce and I would forget the anole idea altogether. Corns will readily take mice with no problems. Once feeding on anoles he may not switch back.

mmm. beat you to it. :rolleyes:

plus most anoles are wild caught and might have parasites.

Some of my snakes just eat....and a few flip all over the cage subdueing their dead prey.

666killademon said:
what about live chicks have any of u tried it and if u did can they even cause serious injury to the snake

I told you this in another thread. If you want something that eats live things, get a lizard. Feed it live bugs.

Corn snakes should NOT eat live prey of ANY kind. Please do not feed live chicks as I mentioned before.

666killademon said:
thanks tula u have been a big help, but what about the chick question

Okay, maybe I am over-reacting to this. Are you waiting for someone to tell you "Yes you can feed live chicks"?

If so, and you want to put your snake into avoidable harm, then sure.."Yes you can feed live chicks!"..

psh. :shrugs:

its not that i want them to eat live prey i would be satisfied if it constricted dead prey cuz i like the action cuz don't get me wrong i love my new baby corn i just like watching him feed

Calm down fender... Breathe! A simple, "chicks are not suitable" is the answer to your question.

Corns do perfectly well on a diet that revolves around rodents, mainly mice and rats.

well i also read that can eat eggs and they are good for overall health but only every once and a while just like the chicks. How would i go about tryin to feed it an egg. I would have to get eggs from a farm right?

666killademon said:
well i also read that can eat eggs and they are good for overall health but only every once and a while just like the chicks. How would i go about tryin to feed it an egg. I would have to get eggs from a farm right?

No. :wavey:

LOL thats ridiculous. Egg eating snakes (funnily enough) eat eggs. Corn snakes cannot digest eggs. Like I said, a staple diet of rodents is perfect.

Back