• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dalek ate Fir bark! Pictures...

Just change her substrate tonight if you have time or tomorrow and then by Tues she will have had time to adjust to your changes in her viv, so go ahead and feed her, that is my opinion.

I am going to agree with Wade on this one, that looks like it could be the bark. I'm glad that she is doing well, and that you are following the advice of the knowledgeable ones here on the forums.

You fed her right after the bark incident. If she continues to act normally and there is no problems apparent I would probably feed her a small meal in a week. If she is pooping normal, I'd just go back to normal feeding.

OK I cleaned out a nice plastic container and transformed it into Dalek's new home for a bit to see if I can watch her poops more closely. It is being heated with two 1 - 5 gallon heat mats on a rheostat controler on only one side of the container. Let me know if you think any changes need to be made.

Attachments

• hospitol 001.jpg
    hospitol 001.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 128
  • hospitol 002.jpg
    hospitol 002.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 127
  • hospitol 003.jpg
    hospitol 003.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 127
Looks like it should be ok. Be warned that sometimes with tubs you have to add extra ventilation holes if the tub starts to fog up and condensation collects on the sides.

I have barely been owning snakes for about 11 months now and I have been on this sight almost every day of that time learning as much as I can. Regardless of what happens I will take what I can from this and provide even better care for my snakes in the future.

You're doing all the right things. Learning all you can, reading all you can, knowing who to be in touch with and learning from your mistakes. No one could ask for more. I hope you've already been welcomed somewhere that I didn't see, but if not...welcome! I hope you stay and enjoy your time here. :)

As you said, theres lots of passion here, sometimes that fire comes out a little strong. Glad you were able to get through it, everyone here give's as good as they get! :) it makes for some pretty lively debates...which can be fun too. I hope your little one does fine (although its sounds quite positive now) and continue's to thrive in your care.

All of that being said, maybe give some thought to feeding outside the viv? I didn't think Yoshi (my amel boy) would take to it, but he eats like a champ every time. Its a simple thing, to save some worry.

When she does poo, if "everything" comes out okay, you should dry it out and save it. That way, in a few years, you could look back and laugh at all this. ;)

Wayne

YEAAAAAH!! put it in a scrapbook!

glad to see your snakey is doing okay, and glad to see you're learning things from the forums! i think you did all the right things. welcome, welcome!

That tub looks like a nice hospital room for Dalek. In fact, it looks like pretty good corn snake housing, period! So glad Dalek looks OK, and yeah, that piece sure could be the swallowed substrate, let's hope so! BTW, are you a Dr Who fan?

Edit: The only reason I didn't have this problem was dumb luck followed by reading about not feeding in the viv here! I lucked out because I thought Humphrey would not like damp mice so I dried them very well before offering them. The way H attacks them, if they were damp, H would have swallowed substrate stuck to them! So don't feel bad. As long as Dalek comes thru this OK, it's just a learning experience.

That tub looks like a nice hospital room for Dalek. In fact, it looks like pretty good corn snake housing, period! So glad Dalek looks OK, and yeah, that piece sure could be the swallowed substrate, let's hope so! BTW, are you a Dr Who fan?

Edit: The only reason I didn't have this problem was dumb luck followed by reading about not feeding in the viv here! I lucked out because I thought Humphrey would not like damp mice so I dried them very well before offering them. The way H attacks them, if they were damp, H would have swallowed substrate stuck to them! So don't feel bad. As long as Dalek comes thru this OK, it's just a learning experience.
:laugh01:

lmao yes! I have seen all the Doctor Who shows with the last two doctors with david tenat as my favorite. I even have another amel named Gallefrey.

lol...I am...and love the name.

EXTERMINATE THE DOCTOR!!! (my best dalek impression..lol...its better in person)

Daleks full name is Dalek Thay from one of the only 4 named Daleks in the cult of scarow. Seen in the "Daleks in Manhatten" episode.

Dr. Who is one of the best shows ever! I wanted to comment on how much I like Dalek's but then didn't....I know...I'm just lazy most days.

I adore David Tennant and am sorry he is leaving the show but I also look forward to seeing the new actor (I can't recall his name right now) and what he will bring to The Doctor.

Oh and Donna was the best companion ever!

Are you also a Torchwood fan?

Looks like it should be ok. Be warned that sometimes with tubs you have to add extra ventilation holes if the tub starts to fog up and condensation collects on the sides.

Is that a serious bad thing? I mean apart from the obvious that the snake needs air to breathe lol! I have that happen in small amounts (just small spots of condensation here and there) during the night and then it clears back up during the days. I kinda thought it was nice for added humidity and less fifty piece dry sheds lol!

You know how some people are just unable to yes that looks good. They have to add some problem like meteor showers that could possibly happen but probably won’t. The tub that is pictured above has plenty of ventilation, much more than any of mine. If your substrate is not damp and the condensation is not a constant thing it is not a problem.

Ok coolness, just making sure there wasn't some major known across the board issue that the average keeper wouldn't know about in that regard :spinner:

Ok I fell OK now!

YaaaaaY!!!!!

Ok to re-cap a little, on the 24th if I remember right we had the scare of my snake getting the horrible piece of bark down the gullet. That day she had a small pinky mouse after the piece of bark was aligned with the throat. "Dont do that....Note taken!". After that she had Two other Small pinkies one on the 31st and another on 2/2. During all that I only had one OK sized poop and that is where I think I found the Piece of bark which is suspected as the culprit. After that poop Dalek had not really pooped since then. That was scaring me, but she was not looking sick through this. There was one spot that could have been pee one day but could have been a splash from the water bowel. I took Dalek to my local pet shop where the snake lady that owns the place there has 15+ years of snake owning experience and she checked her out and did not see any signs of impaction or dibree in the belly. She suggested with going on full feed which corresponds with other thoughts from yall fine folk. We tried a nice sized Pinky rat on 02/09, so as to have any hair clog things up. Here is the result two days later:

Attachments

• Poop 001.jpg
    Poop 001.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 80
Congrats on the nice poopie, looks like your and everyone else's suspicions were correct and that was the piece of bark in question. As well it looks like your snakie should be just fine.

Back