• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dead.....

cotner

so i was gone or a couple days and came home to my butter corn dead....it didnt regurge b/c i hadn't fed him in a week and it was feeding day when i got back and found him dead. He was not just coiled up dead but bunched up half upside down, as if it was writhing around before....any ideas as to what caused this? very upset about it. thanks

I'm sorry about your loss.
How old was he? How was the heating situation? Has he been a problem feeder?
Since he may very well have been dead for a little while, I don't know if a necropsy would be able to tell you what was wrong with him.
You can put him in the fridge (not the freezer) & contact your vet & see what they say about doing a necropsy, if he possibly passed away fairly recently...IDK know what else to say.

heating temps were normal. I have it on a herpistat. he's already been "taken care of" so i cant really bring him in. he was hatched july 2010

Similar thing happened to me last year with my Okeetee. She was fine, then she just passed away. She always ate, never missed a meal, was always on the tiny side though, had a couple kinks.

Some youngsters have internal developmental problems that don't become apparent until they grow. Unless he had anything obviously physically wrong (bulges/lumps etc), then I'm afraid there's no way to tell. Sometimes these things have no obvious explanation. Sorry for your loss.

Same thing happened to Snakey I. Ate and shed fine, but didn't grow much, then one morning he was dead.
I'm sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you because my hatchling died after 3 months of having her. Never grew but always ate, regurged once but after following the regurge protocol seemed to be doing fine then just died. My vet didn't find anything on necropsy. This sort of thing happens and doesn't sound like there was anything you could have done.

Unfortunately some little corns just aren't meant to be. Snakes naturally over produce because in the wild, the probability of the whole clutch making it is rather slim. In captivity I think surviving clutch numbers are larger, because of intervention from the whole "eat or be eaten" element.

Sometimes snakes just die though. It's unfortunate, but I think that it's actually somewhat natural. Generally I think there's less likely of a chance of getting a snake that will just randomly die on you if you buy from a reputable breeder. A reputable breeder will also most likely work with you in a situation like this.

When buying corns from pet stores or non - reputable breeders, however, who knows what could happen.

I think many snake keepers have had instances of "sudden death" in hatchlings. I experienced it once with a free bee that I got along with an order of other snakes. The breeder informed me that the snake was a non feeder, and that he might not have a chance, but I could have him, and hopefully he'd thrive for me.

Unfortunately he didn't. It was less hard of a blow though, because the breeder informed me of the snake's state, and I knew what to expect.

A non reputable breeder might sell you that same snake at full price with no information.. a pet store employee might be clueless about a snake's background, and who knows, may even flat out lie about the number of meals a snake has had.

Anyway, hopefully this doesn't taint your snake keeping experience. I hope you can move on, and that your next snake is healthy and grows normally. If you got this snake from a breeder you're still in contact with, contact them and see if there's anything they can do to help.

thanks everyone, Jessicat, i got my little guy from Dakota Corns, i dont think he would have done anything like that to me, he seemed like a good guy and is very active on this forum.

thanks everyone, Jessicat, i got my little guy from Dakota Corns, i dont think he would have done anything like that to me, he seemed like a good guy and is very active on this forum.

Brent is definitely a reputable breeder. Contact him and let him know what happened. I'm sure he will want to know what happened in order to help prevent things like this in the future. I'm not sure what his refund/replacement policy is. It will probably depend on how long the snake has been in your care. It can't hurt to talk to him about what happened though.

Good luck!

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I got a lovely anery hatchling at petland and named him Meeko. Couldn't get him to eat, also he regurgitated once and found him upside down dead. Very upsetting. I was able to get my Solstice that day (the 21st. I hope you find a healthy animal.

we had a king snake pass that way one day he was fine then he couldn't hold anything down we took him to the vet and they couldn't find a thing wrong with with him and he died with in a week
sorry for your loss

I'm sorry to hear he passed on. I guess when you can't find anything definitely wrong with a snake and they pass.. it can be viewed a bit like our SIDS... when they die without really knowing the cause of the death.

I'm sorry about the little guy. As much as we all love our corns it certainly hurts like hell when they pass away on you.

Oh how sad. That had to be quite a shock. I'm sorry you had that happen. You should contact the breeder like Jessicat suggested.

Back