• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Did I screw up? (brumation question)

Steve'sMom

I started the process of brumation about a month ago with Steve and Lydia. I have never done it before, but I took everyone's advice. A few weeks before, I started feeding Steve every week (he's so big, he usually only eats every other week) and Lydia twice a week. Then I stopped feeding, but keeping everything else normal (heat and all). After I found poop in the enclosures, and it had been 2 1/2 weeks, I was going to take the heating pads off and start cooling them down....but instead, when I looked under their hides, they were both in blue! So I left the heat on. So now, since I'm waiting for them to shed, they haven't started brumation yet, but they haven't eaten in a month and counting (still don't see shed skins today)... Is this bad?

No, it's fine. An adult snake can go for a couple of months and be OK; so amonth is nothing. You're doing everything right so far! Just after they shed, cool them off just as you had planned.

If Becky was to cool Steve and Lydia down now with them in blue could that be dangerous? Would they just shed their skins as usual or would the colder "weather" make it more difficult for them to shed?

They will shed as usual. As long as their intestinal tracts are cleaned out, you have no worries! :cheers:

Thanks for the answers! I worry too mucn :rolleyes: I suppose they just wanted to make the torturous wait for their first babies just a little longer...

Back