• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

gold dust motley X hypo snow question

All the F1 offspring will be ultramels het hypo, anery, caramel and motley. The F2 is going to give you issues trying to identify the ultras from the ultramels from the hypos from the ultra hypos from the ultramel hypos. Some will seem to be easily identified, but I don't want to be in your shoes at hatching time! LOL!

So You think that's bad idea? Maybe batter would be to pair ultramel het. hypo/caramel/motley/anery X amel het. hypo/caramel/motley/anery?

No, it's not a bad idea. Either of your pairings will mix ultra and hypo and will be a little confusing trying to identify the hatchlings, but that's part of the fun of breeding corn snakes! And you never know, you may be good at guessing, but you will probably not be able to say with 100% certainty what some of the hatchlings are.

All the F1 offspring will be ultramels het hypo, anery, caramel and motley.

That is incorrect.
The VISUAL outcome would be 50% Ultramel 50% Amel.

Male: Golddust, Motley ( Ultramel, Caramel, Motley )
Female: Hypo Snow ( Amel, Anery, Hypo )

Result F1 Phenotype:
1 / 2 Ultramel het Anery, Motley, Caramel, Hypo
1 / 2 Amel het Anery, Motley, Caramel, Hypo

I do agree though in that combining Hypo with Ultramel, it will be pretty hard to distinguish what Ultramels are also homo Hypo.
The only way to know for sure would be to test breed the F1 Ultramels to Hypo and ONLY to a Hypo you know 100% certain is NOT carrying the Amel trait,
otherwise you could end up back to square one.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Thanks for answers. I will try this pairings also because I need ultramel het hypo/anery/moltey/caramel female for my pied-sided bloodred het. hypo ph amel/anery/motley male. I need test him for hets ;-)
Is it difficult to distinguish ultramel and hypo hatchlings? For example ultramel anery and ghost? Have ultramel pied-sided bloodreds been already done?

That is incorrect.
The VISUAL outcome would be 50% Ultramel 50% Amel.

Male: Golddust, Motley ( Ultramel, Caramel, Motley )
Female: Hypo Snow ( Amel, Anery, Hypo )

Result F1 Phenotype:
1 / 2 Ultramel het Anery, Motley, Caramel, Hypo
1 / 2 Amel het Anery, Motley, Caramel, Hypo

I do agree though in that combining Hypo with Ultramel, it will be pretty hard to distinguish what Ultramels are also homo Hypo.
The only way to know for sure would be to test breed the F1 Ultramels to Hypo and ONLY to a Hypo you know 100% certain is NOT carrying the Amel trait,
otherwise you could end up back to square one.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Thanks for correcting my mistake! My brain has been too occupied with other issues lately that it's forgetting that a golddust is not homo ultra. Guess this is me: :dunce: I really need a vacation.

Back